Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: John Sheridan  (Read 13919 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, December 17, 2020, 21:43:21 »

Certainly cared about himself.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, December 17, 2020, 23:40:24 »

It’s less than a year since we got 13000+ for a L2 game. The potential has always been here. Unfortunately, any success we’ve had over the years has never been built upon - it’s all been transitory, an illusion.

Wellens saw it - hence him signing a 3 year extension. Then the Swindon curse struck again - one step forward, 2 steps back.

We’ve had a succession of chancers and potless owners - Black notwithstanding.

And I'd still rather be a fan of my local club than a glory hunter, makes it sweeter when things do go well.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 08:21:16 »

It took us as a Football League club 42 years to win our first ever promotion in 1963.

That really is the doldrums!
True perspective.  I wonder what the attendance levels used to be in the pre 63 days.  Pretty decent, I'd wager?

The Doldrums would make a more apposite and also distinctive nickname for STFC.  I like it.  Eff off to the Robins  , Cheltenham and City.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #18 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 09:14:47 »

True perspective.  I wonder what the attendance levels used to be in the pre 63 days.  Pretty decent, I'd wager?
I believe that in the 30s the average was about 8k but in the late 40 and through the 50s the average was between 10k and 15k depending on us being top half or bottom half of the table, we finished bottom and still averaged around 10k one season.

At that time Swindon had a population of about 50k, probably 1/4 to 1/5 the level it is now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 10:15:28 »

Pre glory hunter days?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 10:43:35 »

Pre glory hunter days?
tbf the town was considerably more monocultural and with considerably fewer leisure options in those days. I suspect you would probably find the same pattern in most towns of similar size
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 12:05:45 »

I believe that in the 30s the average was about 8k but in the late 40 and through the 50s the average was between 10k and 15k depending on us being top half or bottom half of the table, we finished bottom and still averaged around 10k one season.

At that time Swindon had a population of about 50k, probably 1/4 to 1/5 the level it is now.
Cheers.

Fantastic levels of support.  No Chelsea or Liverpool leisurewear polluting the Towncentre.  Though incomers would legitimately have also supported their childhood team.

I genuinely shed a tear for the loyal Doldrums generations who weren't there to see our reaching the very top tier
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 13:16:34 »

Cheers.

Fantastic levels of support.  No Chelsea or Liverpool leisurewear polluting the Towncentre.  Though incomers would legitimately have also supported their childhood team.

I genuinely shed a tear for the loyal Doldrums generations who weren't there to see our reaching the very top tier

More fun and memories getting there than actually being part of it.
The Late 70’s for so many reasons my favourite period, then came a period of stagnation and king Lou just ignited it all once again.
Still gives me knots in the stomach when I look back and can still make that connection.
Last season my dreams were shattered as I allowed myself to want to believe again and in true Swindon fashion the whole lot came crashing down.

Can’t believe I am approaching 1700 games - ffs a life sentence and a mental health scare.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #23 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 13:29:00 »

More fun and memories getting there than actually being part of it.
The Late 70’s for so many reasons my favourite period, then came a period of stagnation and king Lou just ignited it all once again.
Still gives me knots in the stomach when I look back and can still make that connection.
Last season my dreams were shattered as I allowed myself to want to believe again and in true Swindon fashion the whole lot came crashing down.

Can’t believe I am approaching 1700 games - ffs a life sentence and a mental health scare.
Even now the 79-80 season is my all time favourite season as a Town fan, so many great memories in just one 10 months period, an incredible time to be a Town fan and being 13/14 at the time they will live long in my memory.

As you say the rise under Macari is next best, winning the clubs first ever league title at Mansfield and then being 90 mins away from Division 1 in the play offs at Palace.

I have never totted up my matches but I am probably at least 1,500+ by now too having started going in 74.

You are right, its the ride and not the destination.

EDIT: did a calculation and its 1,252 matches for me +165 iFollow games ( +53 Sky/BBC/ITV live games which I couldnt attend in person).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 13:41:41 »

Its never boring.

Fell out of love with it ref the Williams debacle.

Came back last season...now its rat shit again!

Clems Army!
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 14:44:21 »

Its never boring.

Fell out of love with it ref the Williams debacle.

Came back last season...now its rat shit again!
I like it.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 14:50:42 »

Sheridan on time at Swindon:

I'm not being disrespectful but if I was winning all the time then I wouldn't be at Swindon. I've done really well at clubs and have done poor at clubs. Every manager wants to win and there is no better feeling as a manager when you win. As a manger you get judged on your results and I totally understand it is about results. I'm here to keep Swindon in this division and it is a very very tough league but it is also very evenly matched.

SOURCE: total sport swindon
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 15:00:26 »

He has quite the way with words.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #28 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 15:12:30 »

Well that should change a few views on him Roll Eyes
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 15:17:54 »

I'm pretty sure he said that a few weeks ago?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: