Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Charlton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 25587 times)
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 20:17:09 »

Realky enjoyed that today. A point that feels like a win due to the very late nature of the goal. Great to be back at the CG for the 2nd week in succession, although suspect it might be the last for a while, due to covid numbers.

Unlike last week, I always fancied us to get a result. In fact I turned to my son as Matt Smith was about to take the last corner and said we'll score from this. We created more decent chances than against Fleetwood and both defences looked vulnerable when pressed, hence it made for an entertaining game. I dont agree at all with whoever it was that said this league is as bad as league 2 last year. We have come up against Fleetwood, Donny and Charlton in the last 3 games and they are all far superior to anything we came up against last year. Charlton's attacking options of Bogle, Washington, Aneke and Maddison are all impressive for this level and presumably would be well beyond our budget.

I thought Conroy (my mom) looked very composed in a DCM role and it was probably no coincidence that Antony Grant had his best game for a while given the extra cover that Conroy gives. Matt Smith was also decent and was involved in both goals. I thought the formation worked well, with Johny Smith as an attacking LWB and Odimayo as a more defensive RWB, until the final 20 minutes when he almost turned in to a right winger! Odimayo's crossing was very good on a couple of occasions, less so on others, but he is an excellent prospect, with fantastic athleticism and endeavour. DJ showed great skill and composure for the goal, which watching back on replay was an excellent team goal, with 5-6 players doing really well to retain possession and pass to a colleague.

Kovar had very little to do, but again we concede two goals. Seems to be that way most games. His kicking was largely excellent and his slip just unfortunate, just like Fryers, who otherwise was again very good. I thought Baudry was ok, but appears less confident than last year - maybe it's the step up in quality of opponent (Aneke was a real handful when he came on, reminded me somewhat of Akinfenwe). Grounds was decent and seems to be over his wobble period.

My only frustration was at 1-2 down we appeared to be playing too safe, with players frightened of passing forwards rather than sideways, presumably for fear of losing the ball, given the number of goals we have conceded in transition this season. I felt it was better when Hunt came on at LWB, releasing Payne to play through the middle. Worth praising Sheridan for his subs, as Hunt, Payne and particularly Pitman all had a positive impact on the game.

Final plusses - we score from a corner, Pitman gets a goal and fans clap players off. Its beginning to feel a lot like Christmas and thank goodness Boxing Day falls on a Saturday and not Tuesday, otherwise we wouldnt have a hope in hell of getting anything against Pompey.

I hope this is a turning point in the season and notwithstanding all the negativity about Sheridan - and I have not been overly enthused by some of the performances or indeed some of his press conferences - I thought the players showed a real desire to get something from this game. They didnt play like a disgruntled group to me.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 08:21:33 »

Just watched the highlights but how on earth was their second goal not offside?
I’m assuming someone plays him on off screen but it looks so bad.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 08:37:21 »

are you taking about the first pass DV? It's tight, even with a straight line,!!

* Screenshot_20201219_180753.jpg (710.42 KB, 2340x1080 - viewed 255 times.)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 08:45:36 »

The big fella is blocking the view of the lineo, is literally the only thing that I can think of. He looked miles offside at the game, that linesman was fucking useless all game, our players were getting mauled right in front of him, he doesn't see shit, their player dribbled clear off the pitch, he doesn't see shit, Payne (iirc) did similar later and was given as a thrown to them.

Panda Paws

« Reply #334 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 08:48:22 »

I think Grounds plays him on, but more importantly why is Grounds 3 yards behind the rest of the back line!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 08:52:39 »

If that part wasn't offside, it surely was when the ball was crossed for the tap in. (It seemed like a forward pass to me)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 09:34:11 »

I think Grounds plays him on, but more importantly why is Grounds 3 yards behind the rest of the back line!
Because he has no idea.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 09:34:43 »

are you taking about the first pass DV? It's tight, even with a straight line,!!

No the second where the scorer is stood a few yards in front of our goal with no Town player anywhere near him
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 09:37:37 »

I mean he’s in front of the defender in that picture.
So in the time it takes for the player with the ball to pass it the scorer manages to drop back behind the defender then get away from him again and stay onside.

Not impossible granted but still...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 09:52:36 »

Aneke was behind the ball when the pass was played I think so was surely onside?

Like our second goal in the play off first leg versus Tranmere when we initially broke the offside ‘trap’ and it was just rolled across for Mitchell/Maskell (I forgot which way around) to score.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 10:13:14 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #340 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 10:35:56 »

Yeah Aneke is 100% on. He's behind the play.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 10:42:47 »

Aneke was in an offside position when the first pass was played to Washington, but was back onside when Washington squared.

Grounds should've stayed with his man rather than waving his arm in the air hopelessly. Play to the fucking whistle.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 10:55:43 »

Aneke was in an offside position when the first pass was played to Washington, but was back onside when Washington squared.

Grounds should've stayed with his man rather than waving his arm in the air hopelessly. Play to the fucking whistle.

Absolutely. We actually played the offside trap quite well yesterday aside from this catastrophe!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 16:20:03 »

Jonny Smith down injured, holding his thigh.
He was rubbing his thigh and doing stretches during the shooting practice in front of the TE before the game. Pitman also hurt himself during the same practice. Who knew taking a few pot-shots could be so dangerous.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 16:39:45 »

Overall an improvement on the Fleetwood performance and I thought a point was deserved in the end.

However, I couldn’t see where an equaliser was going to come from as out ponderous play on the ball allowed Charlton to set up defensively and the midfield seemed reluctant to get forward of the man with the ball, hence lots of sideways and backwards passing, and when the ball got forward quickly, there was often too much of a gap between the striker/s and midfield.

Thank heavens we’ve got DJ, otherwise we’d look bereft of quality and urgency up front. He’s definitely a saleable asset - fingers crossed a bid doesn’t come in in January.

Akin’s looking like a useful, versatile player and on yesterday’s performance Conroy could be a new Grant.

I’m certainly not convinced by Sheridan but he’s still having to make decisions on a squad full of crocks and mistake-makers. I’d be happier if he could get a bit more dynamism into our play but maybe, just maybe, that might come with a settled formation and match-day squad. I still think relegation is more likely than not though.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: