Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Charlton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 25590 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:09:15 »

2 goals in a game, some very poor reffing, didn't create too many good chances but didn't deserve to concede 2 against a poor Charlton side who had the ref on their side as well as lady luck for the first goal.

Odimayo my MoM for a good all round performance.

Still nowhere near firing on all cylinders yet but every point counts come the end of the season.

Can't see us getting anything at Pompey if the game goes ahead though.
MOM:  Eventually plumped for Conroy's mix of passing and defensive play just edging Odimayo - either way, Odimayo was always involved positively and asking questions on the rhs.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #316 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:11:08 »

Conroy did very well considering his fitness level and made one amazing tackle to come away with the ball from Aneke just outside our box, he also had a huge hand in the 1st goal which was unlike him! but Mayo was a constant threat going forwards and just shaded it for me.

I guess that sums us up, a centre back, playing at right back was our best attacking outlet all game!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:16:41 »

Conroy did very well considering his fitness level and made one amazing tackle to come away with the ball from Aneke just outside our box, he also had a huge hand in the 1st goal which was unlike him! but Mayo was a constant threat going forwards and just shaded it for me.

I guess that sums us up, a centre back, playing at right back was our best attacking outlet all game!
Might not have Matt Smith's class, but Odi an early season contender for player of the season...he's even done well in post match interviews that Sheridan didn't fancy, ffs!  One or two lapses in concentration, but for one so young and inexperienced, he has been outstanding.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:20:52 »

Would have settled for that with two minutes to go.  Seems like our luck may have changed,  upwards and onwards,  On shit, Pompey next, we'll need a bit of luck there.

Haven't seen Pompey but had Charlton held on, then they and Donny, with their games in hand, have been as effective as any other side in this Div thus far.  

I think we have been overdue a break in our luck. Pint
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:22:55 »

Sheridan:
- Point well deserved against a really good team
- Think Charlton will be near auto promotion
- Competed with them well
- Need to keep belief and be patient
- Played good football at times
- Great opener
- Cant fault the effort from the players
- Massive bonus to get something from the game
- We have competed well against some of the better teams in the last few games
- Pitman is trying to get fit
- Conroy is trying to get up to speed after injury
- Poor, poor goals conceded yet again
- Payne has come on and done well. Reacted well. Sheridan was always grumpy when he was left out. Payne answered this well with his performance
- Massive downer to concede in that manner
- Coped with a team who have the best away record in the league
- Second for them looks offside
- Players have been playing well. Desire and willingness is there
- To score late in the game and come away in a point is good
- At home I expect us to take the game to the opposition. I wanted a goal threat (J Smith LWB). Wouldn't play him there away from home
- Pleased subs reacted well (disappointed not starting) and did well
- If we keep the level of performance then we will get results
- Appreciate patience of the fans
- Downer for everyone conceding , but they encouraged the team
- J Smith tight thigh strain. Will need to assess more.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:29:45 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:28:51 »

Back on iFollow today as in a tier 3 area, so at least didn’t get drenched second half.

I thought we deserved a point - although we don’t create enough or get enough shots on target. Apart from a few crosses under little pressure their keeper didn’t have a save to make.
Apart from his slip for the first goal, Fryers makes the defence look more solid. Conroy was very good, Also Odimayo.
DJ the main threat but was well contained after half time. A better performance from Grant today also..
The referee and linesman were poor to say the least.

We need to review the loans in Jan - I’d personally send back both J Smith and Stephens - both have pace but their decision making is poor / no end product and they seem injury prone.
If Payne was on loan I’d send him back too, as after half a season I am not sure what he is bringing to the team.

The main positive for me is that we squeezed a point out at the death - we have lost too many by the odd goal and need to grind out some ugly points.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:38:48 »

it was a bit messy at times in the second half, but we regrouped and got a point, which will do for me.

it's far from good, but I'll enjoy the point and being there to celebrate 2 goals
A.N.Other

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:39:09 »

What formation did we play if JS was at LWB???
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:39:35 »

What formation did we play if JS was at LWB???

3-5-2
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:40:57 »

Pitman:
- Results havent been great
- There have been signs in games that we were going in the right direction
- Performances have been 'better'
- We'll take drawing scrappy in the situation we are in
- Just tried to get the header on target and lucky it has looped in. Didn't realise at the time it was so late in the game
- On conceding the first: Things are going against us. We seem to get punished for every mistake
- We will not point fingers and stick together at a team
- Frustrating coming in without a pre-season and got injured a couple of times
- Haven't really trained too much because of injury and the constant games
- Hopefully can stay fit. Always been someone who plays lots of games. So far hasnt been able to do that at Swindon
- Has worked hard to try to get fit again and put himself in the frame to be picked
- Portsmouth is just another game for us. Gutted that there wont be any fans there.
- The quicker we can get fans back in every ground the better
- Portsmouth will be a tough game.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 18:55:49 »

Far better decision making today. Still lightweight up front but without doubt a positive step in the right direction. Let’s not forget Charlton were a championship side last season and tipped to go up.
For large parts of the game we were the better side. Showed character and far better organised. The first goal just a real pity and not deserved. Charlton were on the back foot when 2-1 up and that was pleasing to see as no way did the heads drop.
Conroy a real Captains performance, vocal and organising. Was cool on the ball and I believe he was the big difference today. Odimayo also had a decent game.
A point at Portsmouth? Would be great but the next two home games if we can get this level of performance again I reckon we could turn a corner.
It doesn’t feel disappointing tonight but one of a little more hope.

.....and a Happy Christmas to every single one of you Swindon fans.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #326 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 18:57:29 »

Charlton fans very gracious in defeat (you would think it was a defeat from the comments on their forum!).

Swindon looked like the worst team we've played this season, they had nothing going forwards. No pace, no strength, no guile, nothing. And every time we went forward we had space appear and we looked like we could score with a bit of patience or the right ball. But what did we do? We brought Purrington on and went 5 at the back. Against fucking Swindon.

Swindon were shit like Burton like Shrewsbury but we play the same old shit every week.

It's not as if Swindon were a good team. And to sit back like that for the final 20 minutes or so was just tactically all wrong.

Its not like we were all over Swindon all afternoon, they were constantly a threat, they didnt sit back like Wimbledon

Swindon were pretty hopeless - especially defensively - save for their right winger, but we turned it into a lottery by sitting so deep in the last 20 minutes.

Swindon looked abysmal and TBH we looked almost as bad. I can't see a pattern of play and those players do not look like a happy unified bunch. We created virtually nothing.

Should've battered them. They were dreadful. Bit embarrassing going so defensive against such a woeful side.
Love Bowyer, but struggling to understand why he paid so much respect to Swindon. 

I have seen every game this season and there are plenty of teams better than us and let's face it Swindon moved the ball far better than us. For large periods of today's game and despite the negative tactics we where unable to ever really look secure in defending the lead and far from ever being in control of the game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 19:05:23 »

Charlton fans very gracious in defeat (you would think it was a defeat from the comments on their forum!).

A lot of opposing fans have said Swindon are the worst or one of the worst teams they have played this season. If it was one set of fans then you can brush it off. However lots of different club fans have said the same. Also the league table doesn’t lie so they are probably telling the truth..... I guess they just are unaware or out injury problems etc.

Bristol Rovers have been the worse team I have seen this season but they have picked up well recently.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 19:47:55 »

It was great to be back at the cultural home of English football.
Thought we competed throughout without ever impressing with quality. Physically they looked fitter and stronger.
Enjoyed our first especially as we had fought our way back after a sluggish start. Their first was a calamity of errors. Had hoped we would stop gifting the opposition easy goals. Crowd reaction to their second suggested offside. I couldn't see from the other end but a trusted friend said it was a good goal. Evidence on here suggests otherwise. Pitmans header was one bit of quality and it got us a point. Thought the crowd were great and the organisation of the ground very reassuring. Can't wait to return. Beer time. Cheers!

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 20:07:58 »

The second certainly looked offside and it would have been hard to take if it had been the winner. Overall I thought we played well. Fryers, cock up aside, and Conroy returning have helped tighten us at the back and if J Smith hadn’t had to go off, we might have nicked it
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: