Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26912 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:25:08 »

Such things need cash, and we seem to be lacking in the pot to piss in department. Plus one would assume that the litigation with Standing has killed that source whilst high profile shenanigans in the courts will no doubt deter anyone else wanting to put in a few million on the basis of Powers handshake alone.

Which is why my post stated.
He has made a few poor choices in games but I still reserve full judgement until he has had a chance to bring in his own players in January, if he is able to.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:45:51 »

We won't be able to do anything in January, assuming we've taken the extra grant and thus under an umbongo.

I do not know this to be true.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:16:38 »

Such things need cash, and we seem to be lacking in the pot to piss in department.
Of the 3 positions PV named, midfielder, striker and keeper, the first two can be strengthened/supplemented by recalling Twine and Palmer from their loans. Whether that improves the situation remains to be seen but the point is it wouldn't need cash, albeit I guess we would then lose whatever portion of their wages Newport and Wigan are paying. But could still be done even if we have taken the monitored grant from the bailout cash as well, to partially answer PP's point
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:18:46 »

But could still be done even if we have taken the monitored grant from the bailout cash as well, to partially answer PP's point
Even if we have taken the extra grant then we can still sign players on loan and free transfers apparently.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:19:24 »

I'd take a punt on the lad up front from Darlington
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:14:03 »

You wonder if some of the loans will be returned as a way to fill other positions
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:22:37 »

Stevens will be sent back. Fryer will go. Kovar will stay. Have to hope that the Smiths will not be recalled.

We'll recall Palmer and Twine because they're cheaper than new players.

We'll sign a keeper and a defensive mid.

Anything else, realistically?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:26:03 »

Stevens will be sent back. Fryer will go. Kovar will stay. Have to hope that the Smiths will not be recalled.

We'll recall Palmer and Twine because they're cheaper than new players.

We'll sign a keeper and a defensive mid.

Anything else, realistically?

Are you in the know on this?
What about a striker, the manager has mentioned he needs a forward several times
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:36:00 »

Covid is the first thing to blame - I don;t know why us more than others, but that has certainly messed with the players.  From the odd pre-season, to playing loads of games quickly, to no crowds, to the mental impact of just living in these times etc.  It's clearly, in my mind, behind the concentration issues and our injuries.

Wellens gets some blame for not realising the fact this season was going to be very different and we needed a team of mentally tough characters who could bond and work through a tough season, aiming first and foremost to make it to the end, then worry about how high.  He compounded the issue by using the same approach as last year for type of player, but wasn't able (due to the Covid impact on finances) to get the higher standard.  We've ended up with a slightly short of a full squad capable of making a run at Div 4 if we were playing a normal season.

Power gets blame for being Power - not a time for an absent owner without any money and a bunch of legal cases hanging over his neck.

Sheridan gets blame for clearly just not being invested.  He's got very little clue about the squad still, that shows in his interviews, and he's equally as absent as Power it seems.  His formation has changed for every game I think, all close to every game.  You cannot expect to find any sort of form by doing that.  Players, already mentally shot, will pick up on a lack of clear leadership and use it as an excuse.  An easy way to avoid being too critical of yourself and doubling down your focus on improving.

It's a perfect storm.

The best we can hope for is a return from injury of the key players - starting to happen.

Then we need a settled formation and approach to the game.

The best players in this squad have it in them to compete - we are then relying on them gaining the necessary focus and pulling together.

There is a chance, is slim, relying on the stars aligning a bit, but we've taken a shit load of bad luck already, so maybe it will balance out?

Palmer needs to return, and Twine.  Find a left back or right back to fill Donohue's slot.  If we can get a forward great.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:42:10 »

Sheridan gets blame for clearly just not being invested.  He's got very little clue about the squad still, that shows in his interviews, and he's equally as absent as Power it seems.  His formation has changed for every game I think, all close to every game. 

Are we actually training roughly as normal, in usual times there would be interviews and stuff on socials about training etc but there seems to be nothing at the moment, it may just be covid but there is nothing to stop just one of the coaches to take a couple of pics with their phone for the social media people to use to show something is happening. Our players often seem to play like they rarely play together!

Watching the Ben Foster videos makes you realise just how weird things are even at Championship level, with teams having to get changed in function suites at away grounds and away team showers being in the ground car park, so dread to think what its like at our level.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:43:13 »

Are you in the know on this?
What about a striker, the manager has mentioned he needs a forward several times

No, I'm not vaguely ITK. Just thinking what's the practical minimum we can get away with. I'm already pushing the boat out by adding four while losing two. That in itself is pretty wild talk in the current climate.

Now you want another striker too? Some kids.  Roll Eyes

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:46:03 »

No, I'm not vaguely ITK. Just thinking what's the practical minimum we can get away with. I'm already pushing the boat out by adding four while losing two. That in itself is pretty wild talk in the current climate.

Now you want another striker too? Some kids.  Roll Eyes
Given we cant score i think we do need one and I think a big tall forward to flick on for t.smith would be what is needed. Twine isnt the answer here, but he will help with options for the no 10/payne role..
We need help thats for sure..
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 13:51:15 »

Given we cant score i think we do need one and I think a big tall forward to flick on for t.smith would be what is needed. Twine isnt the answer here, but he will help with options for the no 10/payne role..
We need help thats for sure..

We can all see what we need, but that's not what decides what we get. Unfortunately the big tall forward budget went on Pitman.

It sounds like you're actually asking Power to magic up some new budget, which I'd say is a tad optimistic as things stand.

JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:00:03 »

We can all see what we need, but that's not what decides what we get. Unfortunately the big tall forward budget went on Pitman.

It sounds like you're actually asking Power to magic up some new budget, which I'd say is a tad optimistic as things stand.

Well given donague has left (although not a high salary) and we have money from the premier league, speculating a little in order to stay in lg 1 and enable him to sell club in lg1 i would say is important, value of club drops if we are in lg2 which is not what he would want..
Interesting fact, Sheridan was nicknames sherry Sheridan at chesterfield.. the fact he thought we lost 2-0 last night and doesnt know half the squad still makes me worried
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:08:01 »

Are we actually training roughly as normal, in usual times there would be interviews and stuff on socials about training etc but there seems to be nothing at the moment, it may just be covid but there is nothing to stop just one of the coaches to take a couple of pics with their phone for the social media people to use to show something is happening. Our players often seem to play like they rarely play together!

Watching the Ben Foster videos makes you realise just how weird things are even at Championship level, with teams having to get changed in function suites at away grounds and away team showers being in the ground car park, so dread to think what its like at our level.

Yes the players are training the same days.
4 days last week.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: