Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26813 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:33:58 »

Maybe Sheridan cant polish turds. The blame for this season lies fully with Wellens, he recruited them all, then fucked off when he realised what a pile of shite he had bought in. He lost what was it? 10 from 13? That seems to be conveniently overlooked from what I've seen.

Couldn’t agree more. I think giving Sheridan shit is the easy out. Yes it’s a results industry and of course the buck stops with the manager, but he’s come into an under performing, badly balanced squad (2 fucking central midfielders Wellens you absolute helmet!!) with a raft of injuries. He’s tried to make us harder to beat which on the whole, we are, but as a team our concentration is absolutely feeble, we can’t go 90 minutes without at least 1 goalscoring opportunity being given away. At least Sheridan hasn’t hung any players out to dry and on the face of it is trying to maintain positivity.

It’s complete hindsight of course but I’m not sure any other manager might have been able to do that much better in the current situation.

January is now very important. Do we give Shez the chance to try and shape what he’s looking to do (a bit like Phil Brown - eek) or look to bring in a progressive manager for something a bit longer term? Of course the uncertainty with Power doesn’t help so I think we might be in limbo for a while. Football fans of course aren’t patient so it’s going to be hugely frustrating!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:36:49 »

Bamboo's got a bee in his bonnet 'bout booze.
Is this all down to circulating rumours about Sheridan? I remember someone said something about him battling with demons or addiction a while back but I don’t know that those rumours have any substance to them. Anyone else know any more about this?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:38:01 »

Maybe Sheridan cant polish turds. The blame for this season lies fully with Wellens, he recruited them all, then fucked off when he realised what a pile of shite he had bought in. He lost what was it? 10 from 13? That seems to be conveniently overlooked from what I've seen.
100% this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:40:06 »

I get that it has been dismal recently but I just can't bring myself to judge Sheridan as STFC manager based on what he's had available to him so far, I really don't see that anybody else could have done much better given the state of the squad. 

Even the most high profile firefighter managers out there couldn't have put out a team fit for purpose in L1 so far, we're getting to a position where we might just be able to do that soon and if we still look as hopeless as we have done after a run of games with an, on paper, fit for purpose side then absolutely I will be asking questions. 

Unfortunately we have a couple of fixtures that would look tough regardless coming up, if we can't get anything out of Franchise and Wigan I'll be worried, hoping against hope that something is in place to get a forward through the door in time to face Wigan, highly unlikely, I understand that, at least Twine will, presumably, be back and hopefully eager to get his STFC career properly off the ground, if we can afford to bring Palmer back then there's a fourth (including Lyden) CM in the squad.

I accept that it's in my nature to give people the benefit of the doubt, he certainly had an opportunity at 0-2 away at Crewe to make changes to see the game out, Caddis not dealing with it properly for their 1st didn't help but we should have done better there.

Fully expecting a barrage of abuse now, do I think Sheridan can turn it around enough to earn respect from the fanbase?  No.  Do I think we can do enough to stay up?  Yes.  Do I think we will?  No idea but if other teams around us have had their strongest group of players available and they're as bad as we are as it stands then we have a chance. 

We're not going to appoint a proper manager with Power actively looking to get out so for now I'm going to hope rather than froth at the mouth.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:40:55 »

Would help if he had a striker on the pitch
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:42:16 »

Is this all down to circulating rumours about Sheridan? I remember someone said something about him battling with demons or addiction a while back but I don’t know that those rumours have any substance to them. Anyone else know any more about this?
That was bamboo as well. I think it comes from rumours among Chesterfield fans when Sheridan was manager there, bamboo lives out that way IIRC.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:44:45 »

Would help if he had a striker on the pitch
Yup. Wellens' recruitment was poor and he left Sheridan with an unbalanced squad ravaged with injuries. So Sheridan started off by being dealt a poor hand, that doesn't mean he hasn't also played it badly.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:53:42 »

Nobody would give a shxx about Sheridans 'demons' if we won every game!

It was a mess when he came in and not an easy fix.

I didnt even bother listening to it last night...losing the will but that isnt Sheridans fault.

We have a transfer win to save our arse, otherwise its the abyss (again).

Clems Army!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:55:14 »

Yup. Wellens' recruitment was poor and he left Sheridan with an unbalanced squad ravaged with injuries. So Sheridan started off by being dealt a poor hand, that doesn't mean he hasn't also played it badly.

Its blindingly obvious that Sheridan either doesn't want to be here or just acknowledges we are a shit show and its just a way to pay the mortgage for a couple of months (still don't understand why Power employed him, I assume that Wright/Hunt didn't want it, has Hunt re-appeared anywhere yet?), perhaps Power has told him its only short term until a sale goes through?

There is playing a hand, but if the hand is absolutely abysmal (don't play poker so cannot give an example) even the best manager in the world could not win from there.

The squad is unbalanced beyond belief
We have got a shed load of injury prone players (worked last season failed miserably this)
Senior players seem to be making a heck of a lot of unforced errors, seem to be over the hill in certain cases
Junior players are playing too much and in a shit team their confidence is going to shit
We have an owner who has bloody vanished leaving a void of rumour and counter rumour
We have a manger who has the charisma of a dead fish

Its a perfect storm of a shit show, you would think we would be used to it by now!
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:57:15 »

This

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:57:46 »

Completely agree with this
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:11:17 »

+1

Shez has a poor depth of squad and several poor quality players, that is entirely Wellens fault.

He has made a few poor choices in games but I still reserve full judgement until he has had a chance to bring in his own players in January, if he is able to.

To many Town fans Sheridan is a very easy scapegoat as he is Powers man and the cheap option, apparently, lets see what the next month brings.

The league is wide open and every team can beat every other team, put together 4 wins on the bounce by whatever means and it changes the scenario totally, almost every game we have lost we have been on control for long periods of the match, we just can't do it for a whole 90 mins.

Currently we need another midfielder and a striker as priority and at least one more experienced keeper rather than relying on 2 very inexperienced ones, Kovar did well yesterday in probably his best game but I would like to see a 30+ year old keeper coming along to steady the ship when we need it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:14:19 »

He did play a perfect ‘bluff’ with Broadbent up front at the Triangle.

Unfortunately he then ruined it by trying it again at Crewe and was seen off by the better player.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:21:29 »

It's easy to forget we're not far off being a competitive side. We've played really well in the first half of our last three away games at Crewe, Gillingham and Doncaster, even if our attack has lacked teeth. But then there's always a silly mistake at the back, then we lose our shape chasing each game.

If we can get Conroy and Fryers back playing regularly, it will give us a much better core. Then get our attacking players in the right positions - DJ and Jonny running at defences from wide - two from Tyler/Hope/Pitman in the middle (our recruitment hasn't really worked in this department) - with Lyden behind Matt Smith controlling the middle and suddenly it looks a lot rosier.

With the schedule easing up a bit after the New Year, I think there's hope for this squad, if only we can play people in the right positions.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:23:19 »

Currently we need another midfielder and a striker as priority and at least one more experienced keeper rather than relying on 2 very inexperienced ones, Kovar did well yesterday in probably his best game but I would like to see a 30+ year old keeper coming along to steady the ship when we need it.

Such things need cash, and we seem to be lacking in the pot to piss in department. Plus one would assume that the litigation with Standing has killed that source whilst high profile shenanigans in the courts will no doubt deter anyone else wanting to put in a few million on the basis of Powers handshake alone.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: