Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 27303 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 19:55:29 »

I thought DJ has been okay, not outstanding but doing his best with almost no support and a ref who is content to allow him to be pushed but not for him to push back. There's more talent there, but it's a thankless task in the system to play as the lone man centrally.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:01:26 »

Been watching out of the side of my eyes while on meetings.

Seemed an OK performance thus far, pretty equal on chances, maybe they have a bit more going forward than us?

Jack Payne- I mentioned at the weekend that I think he flatters to deceive.  I'd be very interested to see how many shots he has that are blocked.  I honestly can't think of a player to achieve the amount that he does, which suggests it's a problem.  Him and J Smith could do with some target practice.

Fryers is a game changer in defence - not saying we'll be world beaters with him, but his composure and pace are both great additions.

Overall it's a solid enough foundation to build on.  I'd probably have Hope and DJ the other way around.  Grounds can;t run, so he is not going to get caught too far forward, so you can probably have a player like DJ in front of him.  You need the central player to be a bit more reliable and Hope seems far more engaged in the game when central.  DJ then has more license to do the flocks and turns without the pressure of being the central fulcrum of the team.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:01:28 »

Yep, DJ has actually held the ball up better than Tyler or Pele in a similar role, because of his good ball control, but he's getting closed down and crowded out. But there's hope. Except so far we've been playing without Hope.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:01:36 »

Playing a lone striker is not playing to his strengths really, he has so much to offer but today he seems to have fallen over his own feet a few times and needs to get a shot in rather than doing a "Ricky Villa" and dribbling through the defence.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:01:53 »

His flicks look great when they come off, but most of the time he's giving the ball away with them.

That said, he's a real wildcard and can create something out of nothing
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:02:34 »

Quite a change in approach.  Men behind the ball.  Allowing Donny donkeys as much ball as they like in their own half.  Credit to Sheridan et al for that change.  Doncaster were looking dangerous towards the end and belatedly  showing they were adapting to our defensive setup.  They will have their own additional ideas in the second half, after being otherwise largely contained.  So it may indeed be for Sheridan to adapt to their changes, as well as looking for best ways to nick a goal.  Swapping Hope and Jayesimi round could help.

And well done Matty Kovar
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:02:41 »

Forgot to say - I really do like our away kit! 😎

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:03:34 »

FFS 0-1

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:03:37 »

Cock.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:03:58 »

Jack Payne and Baudry, take a bow.  Comedy gold.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:04:04 »

Oh fuck off
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:04:21 »

I take it all back!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:04:39 »

Payne missed the ball then it went straight through Baudry. Stupid stuff. What a waste.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:05:19 »

The amount of goals we concede due to a lack of concentration is staggering. Saturday it was switching off from a set piece and today it’s switching off at the start of the second half!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 20:06:09 »

Ref isn't giving DJ a free kick for anything short of being headbutted, it seems.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: