Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 27040 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:21:38 »

I don't think there is one. Conceded the most goals and lost the most games.
I reckon Wigan are (just about) worse than we are. Although I wouldn't be prepared to back that with any actual money.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:22:12 »

What a fucking mess.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:25:25 »

I reckon Wigan are (just about) worse than we are. Although I wouldn't be prepared to back that with any actual money.
There’s a common denominator with us 2. Getting relegated with 2 clubs, in the same league, in the same season will be some achievement.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:27:47 »

There’s a common denominator with us 2. Getting relegated with 2 clubs, in the same league, in the same season will be some achievement.
Given the damage inflicted on Wigan by their former owners and the fact they're still in admin, flogging off just about any players with two functioning feet, I'd be minded to give any manager a pass on that one tbf
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:30:18 »

Given the damage inflicted on Wigan by their former owners and the fact they're still in admin, flogging off just about any players with two functioning feet, I'd be minded to give any manager a pass on that one tbf
Ah come on. You mean you would have said that until you witnessed his ‘management’ here.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:31:30 »

Yep, I actually thought the starting lineup had a lot of quality on paper.

Then i remembered who was in charge. I’m not one for knee jerk reactions and 10 games isn’t really enough to judge a manager, however it is in this instance, he needs to go
The first half was a change of approach and worked.  J. Smith had a great chance for a goal too and on his favoured left foot. Credit to Sheridan for the first half who I believe outthought our forum with the tactical change.

Within a flash of the 2nd half starting, it was same old, same old.  I wouldn't blame Payne for the goal.  He did lose possession in his own half after getting his feet in a tangle but there was no obvious goal or even killer pass at that stage.  As a defender on the edge of his box, it was incumbent on Baudry not to be off balance and in a tangle.  He failed.  Odimayo seemed to give James the freedom of Yorkshire for the second.  Once again, our opponents had to do very little to earn their 3 points.

However, Sheridan was unaccountably passive in how he reacted to the deficit.  

It must be Caddis for Grounds at a certain point in the second half when we are chasing the game (as is now standard).  Nothing against Grounds starting but he is useless offensively.  He seems to be given the run of the left hand side and it all then slows down.  Caddis would be interacting with Jonny Smith in a way that attracted a lot more options for Jonny Smith or Caddis himself and attracting opposition attention away from the middle of the park.  Venk's proposal of switching the more combative and taller Hope and Diallang was another option as DJ was not turning the Donny CBs and was being given nothing anyway by the Ref.

Fryers was once again a fast, canny monster in defence.  My MOM.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:33:54 by RedRag » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:33:21 »

Kovar 7/10: How can you rate that? Best save I have seen from a Town keeper in years! Not much chance with the two goals. In position the rest of the time and made everything look easy.
Odimayo 6/10: Will focus on him losing us the game by wandering up the pitch and mainly being at fault for the 2nd.
Baudry 7/10: Thought he looked mostly good tonight. No real howlers. Tracked the same man as Fryers for the second though, but had no cover from Odimayo.
Fryers 8/10: Played well. Looked assured. Distribution not good in the first half
Grounds 6/10: Thought he did mostly well.
Conroy 7/10: Mainly solid in front of the defence. No creativity, but shawed up the defence
Payne 5/10: Tracked back in the first half. Defended well. Poor in the second half.
M Smith 6/10: Out lone midfielder
J Smith 6/10: Struggled on the right in the first half. Will be disappointed with the miss. Second half on the left he looked dangerous at times. (I don't think he is helped by others not making runs off him)
DJ 5/10: Offered little. One chance from a beautiful cross by J Smith. Slipped to grab the penalty
Hope 4/10: Offered nothing.

Subs:
Stevens 5/10: Saw him track back and make 1 good tackle. Didn't make most of his pace. For the first time he fired the ball into the net. Shame he was offside.
T Smith 4/10: Don't think he touched the ball did he?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:37:56 »

Kovar 7/10: How can you rate that? Best save I have seen from a Town keeper in years! Not much chance with the two goals. In position the rest of the time and made everything look easy.
Odimayo 6/10: Will focus on him losing us the game by wandering up the pitch and mainly being at fault for the 2nd.
Baudry 7/10: Thought he looked mostly good tonight. No real howlers. Tracked the same man as Fryers for the second though, but had no cover from Odimayo.
Fryers 8/10: Played well. Looked assured. Distribution not good in the first half
Grounds 6/10: Thought he did mostly well.
Conroy 7/10: Mainly solid in front of the defence. No creativity, but shawed up the defence
Payne 5/10: Tracked back in the first half. Defended well. Poor in the second half.
M Smith 6/10: Out lone midfielder
J Smith 6/10: Struggled on the right in the first half. Will be disappointed with the miss. Second half on the left he looked dangerous at times. (I don't think he is helped by others not making runs off him)
DJ 5/10: Offered little. One chance from a beautiful cross by J Smith. Slipped to grab the penalty
Hope 4/10: Offered nothing.

Subs:
Stevens 5/10: Saw him track back and make 1 good tackle. Didn't make most of his pace. For the first time he fired the ball into the net. Shame he was offside.
T Smith 4/10: Don't think he touched the ball did he?
Absolutely.  Grounds needed to be subbed.

Am I too harsh on Baudry's role in the first goal, well though he played otherwise.

Kovar finally, finally looking rather good and a great save.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:38:41 »

Baudry shares the first goal 50/50 with Payne
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:39:07 »

I think we'll be below them by the New Year.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:40:51 »

Odimayo:
- Bit of a downer after the defeat
- Playing well enough but not coming out with the results
- When we had the ball we moved it well and created opportunities
- Need to be more ruthless in the final third
- Lapses in concentration when we are in possession
- We'll learn from it
- Admitted he was at fault tonight
- We are working on conceding goals. We have made steps forward
- Need to get clean sheets and start to score
- Kovar good game. Could hear him all game. Good distribution too
- All a part of the attacking threat including the CBs and him keeping out wide.
- A defeat is a defeat. They all hurt
- It was different playing with fans on Saturday. First time he'd experienced not being able to hear players on the pitch
- Didn't expect to have as much game time as he has had. Still a long way to go and improve
- Being able to play in different positions is something that he wants to continue to give managers options

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:42:37 »

Baudry shares the first goal 50/50 with Payne
Yes, I forgot that. I think it was more Payne's fault than Baudry, but can't quite remember.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:48:03 »

Absolutely.  Grounds needed to be subbed.

Am I too harsh on Baudry's role in the first goal, well though he played otherwise.

Kovar finally, finally looking rather good and a great save.
Not sure that it is solely Grounds that I'm thinking of. We seem to play up and down the line with M Smith sometimes coming really close to the winger. That seems to block all the space. The options J Smith seems to have is pass back to the RB/LB or run into trouble. There is little opportunity to pass and move. Or to try to beat the defender by running into space left by others drawing people away. (I'm not explaining that well)

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:49:19 »

Yes, I forgot that. I think it was more Payne's fault than Baudry, but can't quite remember.

I'd say the opposite. Payne missed his kick midway in our half. Baudry inexplicably let a ball go straight through him on the edge of the area, leaving the striker on his own in front of goal. He tries new and original coq-up recipes every week. We had five centre halves on the pitch, yet still he's getting a game every week.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Rapidflyer

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 21:52:54 »

Not sure that it is solely Grounds that I'm thinking of. We seem to play up and down the line with M Smith sometimes coming really close to the winger. That seems to block all the space. The options J Smith seems to have is pass back to the RB/LB or run into trouble. There is little opportunity to pass and move. Or to try to beat the defender by running into space left by others drawing people away. (I'm not explaining that well)

I agree with this... it happened with Caddis and a little bit with Odimayo but it is missed ... Good point you raise ...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: