Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22650 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:55:44 »

Just my opinion but if people  want to blame Curran for it all that's fine.

I think it is pretty simple - Curran is nowhere near good enough and made two glaring mistakes because he is not good enough.

Grounds is good enough (based on career to date) but playing as if on sleeping tablets and has been central to quite a few goals against this season.

Look, it is entirely possible for more than one player to be a problem - even Baudry was culpable directly for a couple of goals earlier in the season.  The slight difference is that Baudry and Grounds can play better, so the fix with them is different than with Curran, who has shown no ability to defend like a professional footballer for 90 minutes in any appearance thus far.  The fix with him is not to put him in that position - don't pick him, hell, don't give him a contract.  I'm not having a go at him personally - we would all play if picked, it's surely just clear that he isn't anywhere near good enough.  Equally, the Management team shouldn't be harsh on him - don't pick him!
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 15:01:09 by RobertT » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:58:09 »

The question is are the management team seeing something in him to persevere or are they being told to keep him involved with squad etc

So, give no fucks
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 16:03:57 »

I think it is pretty simple - Curran is nowhere near good enough and made two glaring mistakes because he is not good enough.

Grounds is good enough (based on career to date) but playing as if on sleeping tablets and has been central to quite a few goals against this season.

Look, it is entirely possible for more than one player to be a problem - even Baudry was culpable directly for a couple of goals earlier in the season.  The slight difference is that Baudry and Grounds can play better, so the fix with them is different than with Curran, who has shown no ability to defend like a professional footballer for 90 minutes in any appearance thus far.  The fix with him is not to put him in that position - don't pick him, hell, don't give him a contract.  I'm not having a go at him personally - we would all play if picked, it's surely just clear that he isn't anywhere near good enough.  Equally, the Management team shouldn't be harsh on him - don't pick him!

You involve a non League player who has no positional sense then you are asking for trouble.
Completely destabilises the already fragile back line.
As soon as I saw the team sheet yesterday I told both my lads that we will gift another goal hence why I have just about calmed down now.
If Sheridan thinks putting Curran into an important league game is the right call then he will get questioned. If he does it again then I am going to have to question his nouse.
Yet again another 3 points that we have thrown away.
REDBUCK

« Reply #333 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 16:08:44 »

Sorry it must be me but i just don't get where this second glaring mistake is, someone will have to explain.

We'll have to see what Sheridan thinks over this next week and especially now that Conroy is back with fryers to follow.

Curran should be back as an also ran if Sheridan sees him as a non professional footballer

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 16:16:15 »

Sorry it must be me but i just don't get where this second glaring mistake is, someone will have to explain.

We'll have to see what Sheridan thinks over this next week and especially now that Conroy is back with fryers to follow.

Curran should be back as an also ran if Sheridan sees him as a non professional footballer

You think he defends well on both goals?

I'm not saying he is the only player not doing a good enough job, but he makes positional errors on both.  The first - he switched off, maybe expecting the header to be won, but it isn't and he isn;t goal side, he then collapses to the floor in chase rather than stay on feet and apply pressure.

The second, he abandons ship.  Yes, the left side of defence doesn't do well, enough, but he can't jst vacate the right side as he did.  Conroy probably gets back to force them to do something, they may still create a chance, but his run to the left opens the entire other side of the pitch.  He also has the player in his sights so he has to know what he is possibly about the create, but he panics and thinks he has to go over to the left.

They are both errors in my book, basic ones.  If that is all he had done this season you could place him in the same book as Baudry and Grounds.  However, it backs-up every other game he has played.  I'm not even bringing-up a couple of other bloopers he managed that didn't cost us.  He spends a lot of the game looking around trying to see what he should be doing.  In some games he has played, you have had players literally pointing for him.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 16:18:23 »

Basically, other people are making mistakes, his are the ones I see being made by someone who can't do better.  That bit is an opinion, maybe he will prove me wrong.  I very much doubt it.  He is a defensive Dean Hooper - another player you just knew from watching one game was not going to cut the mustard.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 18:03:07 »

Curran has a similar football brain to Aly Dia and that's being nice about it.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #337 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 18:07:45 »

Basically, other people are making mistakes, his are the ones I see being made by someone who can't do better.  That bit is an opinion, maybe he will prove me wrong. 
Agreed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 19:24:38 »

Curran has a similar football brain to Aly Dia and that's being nice about it.

Gold
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Monday, December 7, 2020, 16:04:32 »

-1 to Sheridan for persevering with Grounds at left wing back into the second half.

-1 to whoever was responsible for playing Curran who is a little short of the skills that I have seen required at Conference to Lg 1 level) but given injuries and a certain prudence in not wanting to rush Conroy and the mystery of Curran's contract, I'm not sure it was Sheridan.

That aside, it was a very good performance from a badly depleted squad.  Dominant in all areas, goals and shots on target aside*.  Odimayo was superb on the RHS (well done Sheridan also).  Whole team showing improvement. 

*  Yes, I know, the result is all that matters....but I feel the positives have been a tad understated.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Monday, December 7, 2020, 16:33:43 »

So, when everyone is fit - I know, I know - what would the 1st XI look like?

Kovar
Donohue Fryers Conroy Hunt
Odimayo Grant Smith
DJ Smith Smith

Panda Paws

« Reply #341 on: Monday, December 7, 2020, 16:35:12 »

Kovar
Hunt Conroy Fryers Donohue
    Lyden Grant Smith
Smith                         DJ
              Smith
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Monday, December 7, 2020, 16:42:37 »

Kovar
    Lyden Grant Smith
Smith                         DJ
              Smith

This. Possibly Payne for Jonny Smith.

Would be so good to have Lyden, Conroy and Fryers back for a run of games. Not only should they help results, but they are genuinely good players to watch. All three would be at much better clubs than us if they weren't all perennially injured
« Last Edit: Monday, December 7, 2020, 16:45:20 by Boeta » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Monday, December 7, 2020, 16:51:30 »

Kovar
    Lyden Grant Smith
Smith                         DJ
              Smith

Absolutely - best team we can put out, I wonder if we will ever be able to!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Monday, December 7, 2020, 16:52:37 »

We are Audrey's red and white army.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: