Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22944 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #285 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 14:59:47 »

I didn't say they did, it's just an opinion am i not allowed to join in with the gang.

You could also say without hitting the bar at 1-0 we might have got a draw.
You like to argue with almost every comment of mine so I am doing what you do.

Make you feel like a cunt doesn't it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:00:42 »

Very disappointing. I'm not sure where the next goal is coming from.

Kovar came for some crosses. Knew on both occasions that he wouldn't come to our rescue when they broke through. Not saying the goals were his fault. But want to see his positioning from another angle. Could he shave done more? I don't know.
Odimayo played well.
Payne was incredibly deep.
DJ jinks and turns but has no productivity.
M Smith looks classy in the middle of the pitch but offered little in the final third.
Grant looked awesome with no midfield to play against.
T Smith offered nowt in 2nd half.
Grounds wasted on left wing. Can't cross. Needed to be in the middle on the end of crosses!
Conroy did ok. Too many Hoddlesque cross field passes.
Curran caught out of position twice. Only made one or two other slight errors.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:01:50 »

I’m no fan of Curran but if the 2 goals are to be laid at his door it’s a bit much when you consider the out and out horrendous individual mistakes others have made this season.

Others can take just as much blame for other games, that much is clear.  In fact, the others are more frustrating because you know they can do better and it is just focus.  The problem I have with Curran is that he isn't any better than today.  That game his him.  To play him is asking for trouble and we got it.  He was squarely to blame, not even a small bit but totally.  The first one he all but sucked the forwards cock off in his pointless collapse to his knees.  The second he has come across the pitch to get involved with a player marked by Conroy and vacated his position.  Terrible.  The lad is not a professional footballer in any sense other than his bank seems receive a pay cheque I guess.

Overall, Curran aside, we were quite good today.  With Lyden coming back and DJ getting back to form, plus Conroy seeming so much calmer than any other central defender we have, things could be about to turn for the better.

Kovar was steady enough.
Odimayo could be a real talent as he gains experience
Donohue was causing them problems
Baudry was OK
Grounds - he worries me.  In the second half he was where attacks on the left went to die, so he is not much kop in that role and he seems completely unfocussed in central defence.
Grant had a much better game
Smith has found his position - a lot didn't come off, but he makes us tick going forward when he does get on it
Payne had much more consistent game for me, seemed far better knowing he had a job to do
DJ - a real handful, more to come, which means we have a threat and keeps possession so well
Smith with score a few more this season, I like him.

Overall, add Conroy for Curran in that starting line-up, don't get an injury to Donohue and we probably win it.

Sheridan - ask yourself if you have any footballing brains, if so, never let Curran on the pitch again.  Play a bloody youth lad instead if you have to, hell, start yourself.  That's the bit that makes me angry, that we played him.  The lad is hardly going to say no, he is hardly going to go get a job on a building site if someone has been willing to give him a footballers contract.  It's not his fault, I;d play if they asked me to, but I'd be shit. Grrrrr.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:01:57 »

No idea the game wasn’t on at 3pm today, just logged on to OS to pay for the game and saw the result.......

Caught me out too as I was wavering about watching after my midweek paddy. Imagine my surprise on the way back from Lotmead farm with our Pagan ritual tree and he pipes up that we’re losing 1-0.
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:09:06 »

Very disappointing. I'm not sure where the next goal is coming from.

Kovar came for some crosses. Knew on both occasions that he wouldn't come to our rescue when they broke through. Not saying the goals were his fault. But want to see his positioning from another angle. Could he shave done more? I don't know.
Odimayo played well.
Payne was incredibly deep.
DJ jinks and turns but has no productivity.
M Smith looks classy in the middle of the pitch but offered little in the final third.
Grant looked awesome with no midfield to play against.
T Smith offered nowt in 2nd half.
Grounds wasted on left wing. Can't cross. Needed to be in the middle on the end of crosses!
Conroy did ok. Too many Hoddlesque cross field passes.
Curran caught out of position twice. Only made one or two other slight errors.

That is putting a hugely negative spin on what was in many ways a positive performance.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:10:00 »

There must be a reason why Sheridan hasn't given Haines any game time at all since he took over, but I can't think of it.

ust be the oldest
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:10:32 »

Sheridan:
- Thought we were excellent
- Bit shocked at how we lost 2-0. Doesnt reflect performance
- Should have been 2 or 3 nil up at half time
- Looking at the goals. They have come through naivity
- Totally dominating the game when they scored
- They are an awkward team to play against
- Could have done better in the final third
- Good sign that the players have responded to Crewe
- Dont understand why we are getting so many injuries.
- 8-9 players back at home injured
- Gutted we havent come away with anything
- Our problem is keeping the ball out the back of the net
- When we are dominating they we let them score
- Tactics and personnel were determined by availability and the way Gills play
- That performance would win a lot of games
- Curran: All players need to be ready to play
- Broadbent knee issue. Stevens is ill
- Once we get people fit we will be a good outfit
- We are not going to win the league. But team good enough to stay in L1
- Midweek break good.
- Grant played last few games with ankle injury
- Havent tested goalkeeper enough in second half.
- Missed good chances in first half.
- Not the most physical upfront. T Smith unlucky
- In final third we have to be better
- Conceded two cheap and poor goals
- Have to look on the positive side. We put in a good performance. we have to continue to do so.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #292 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:13:02 »

Kovar - 6.5, missed one punch but go away with it.
Odimayo 8 - attacked well and defended well.
Donohue 6.5 - looked good until the injury.
Curran 3 - made 2 blocks but made at least 5 other fuck ups including being at fault for both goals.
Grounds 6.5 - did well against 3 huge strikers.
Baudry 6.5 - same as above.
Grant - 7.5 looked mor elike last seasons player.
M Smith 8 - covered every inch and looked classy again.
Payne 7.5 - Attacked well and tracked back, looks a little lightweight but skillful.
T Smith 6.5 - agile and quick with good feet but he did't quite find his shooting boots.
DJ 9 - my MotM caused them a lot of problems but in the box he got himself tangled up a bit at times.

Subs
Conroy 7 - looked back to fitness and solid
Lyden not on the pitch long enough.
Parson not on the pitch long enough.

On another day we would have beaten them, we hit the crossbar twice and had a few good chances but it wasn't to be, 2 totally different styles of football on show. Evans hoofball worked today and with less defensive slips and better finishing we would have won comfortably.

But we didn't and thats football.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:13:06 »

I live in hope that Sheridan has now seen Curran play and realised he is not a footballer.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:13:34 »

That is putting a hugely negative spin on what was in many ways a positive performance.
OK. Gills were fucking shit and hoofed the ball up field twice. Swindon performed really well, played lovely football. Some really silky skills on offer. Sprayed the ball all over the pitch. Had several players dominate.

Gills won 2-0! They get 3 points, we get fuck all and move closer to a relegation fight.

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #295 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:15:56 »

Others can take just as much blame for other games, that much is clear.  In fact, the others are more frustrating because you know they can do better and it is just focus.  The problem I have with Curran is that he isn't any better than today.  That game his him.  To play him is asking for trouble and we got it.  He was squarely to blame, not even a small bit but totally.  The first one he all but sucked the forwards cock off in his pointless collapse to his knees.  The second he has come across the pitch to get involved with a player marked by Conroy and vacated his position.  Terrible.  The lad is not a professional footballer in any sense other than his bank seems receive a pay cheque I guess.

Overall, Curran aside, we were quite good today.  With Lyden coming back and DJ getting back to form, plus Conroy seeming so much calmer than any other central defender we have, things could be about to turn for the better.

Kovar was steady enough.
Odimayo could be a real talent as he gains experience
Donohue was causing them problems
Baudry was OK
Grounds - he worries me.  In the second half he was where attacks on the left went to die, so he is not much kop in that role and he seems completely unfocussed in central defence.
Grant had a much better game
Smith has found his position - a lot didn't come off, but he makes us tick going forward when he does get on it
Payne had much more consistent game for me, seemed far better knowing he had a job to do
DJ - a real handful, more to come, which means we have a threat and keeps possession so well
Smith with score a few more this season, I like him.

Overall, add Conroy for Curran in that starting line-up, don't get an injury to Donohue and we probably win it.

Sheridan - ask yourself if you have any footballing brains, if so, never let Curran on the pitch again.  Play a bloody youth lad instead if you have to, hell, start yourself.  That's the bit that makes me angry, that we played him.  The lad is hardly going to say no, he is hardly going to go get a job on a building site if someone has been willing to give him a footballers contract.  It's not his fault, I;d play if they asked me to, but I'd be shit. Grrrrr.
I am not having that it was Currans fault for the 1st. The experience that Grounds has surely means that he should know he should be covering round the back of Baudry there. Curran to be fair did well to be in close contact with him. As the right sided defender he should not have been anywhere near it.

Apart from that he was absolute dog shit
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:16:00 »

There must be a reason why Sheridan hasn't given Haines any game time at all since he took over, but I can't think of it.
Maybe he’s just not good enough? We get this every season with youngsters like Tom Smith, Will Henry, Sol Pryce etc. Wellens was a prick but he was right when he said young players need to earn game time (Curran aside obviously). As harsh as it sounds the likes of Holland, Haines, Parsons etc wouldn’t be here on merit, they are here because they came through the youth system so unless they really impress in training then they are unlikely to get game time.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:19:00 »

Personally, I don't think that playing well offers any consolation.  

The home side played to their strengths and won.  The 'history books' will show that they secured the 3 points and there will no record of our subjective assessments as to which was the better team.  

Nothing to see here
Panda Paws

« Reply #298 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:20:38 »

I am not having that it was Currans fault for the 1st. The experience that Grounds has surely means that he should know he should be covering round the back of Baudry there. Curran to be fair did well to be in close contact with him. As the right sided defender he should not have been anywhere near it.

Apart from that he was absolute dog shit

Irrelavent of the first header, it's Sunday league defending to be round on the cover when your colleague is competing in the air. TC is square and not goalside. It's unforgivable.  
Panda Paws

« Reply #299 on: Saturday, December 5, 2020, 15:21:49 »

Personally, I don't think that playing well offers any consolation. 

The home side played to their strengths and won.  The 'history books' will show that they secured the 3 points and there will no record of our subjective assessments as to which was the better team. 

You don't watch history books. I enjoyed it, mostly. That's the most important thing to me, so of course it matters.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: