Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crewe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21542 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 13:15:28 »

Fair enough Paul. Btw I am a massive fan of Paul Caddis, probably my favourite right back since David Kerslake.
Yeah, I got that, just don't give up on him yet!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 14:55:02 »

Can't really add too much as to what's already been said but I had a free Ifollow pass so watched the game last night. (I usually don't bother with midweek games) Seeing Broadbent up front with Tyler Smith did seem a little bit ridiculous, but it worked on Saturday and given our injury list, why not?

We weren't great first half but having Broadbent up front does seem to disturb defences and he got an assist and should have had 2, but Tyler Smith couldn't notch from a dreamy cross from the big fella. However he did manage a nice finish from a DJ cross and that was as good as it got unfortunately. Caddis dawdled allowing Powell to make it 2-1 and make the second half a different challenge.

One which we just weren't up to. Crewe took total control and 6-2 wouldn't have been an unfair scoreline, it seemed Crewe could score whenever they want. This is a Crewe side that played 120 minutes at the weekend and were able to rest their best player (Kirk) and yet ran absolute rings around us. Can't really blame the side or Sheridan too much, the list of players missing, or playing when they shouldn't be, is not getting any shorter. The fact that at one stage we had a Centre Back and a left winger up front says it all really.

I think once we get all our players back from injury and match fit we should have more than enough to stay up. Given how tight Sheridan has had us recently I think being so open away at Crewe was a mistake - perhaps he had no other option, who knows. Nobody played particularly well and the whole team, to a man looked absolutely shagged for the last 30 minutes. Perhaps its time to play Parsons and Haines etc for a couple of games, just to take the strain off of the older heads who are having to play Tue-Sat week on week. Its killing us really.

Hats off to Crewe, they play some great football at times. Back to the drawing board for us, don't think we'll see big Tom Broadbent starting on Saturday somehow.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:28:52 »

Looking at it;

Wellens 9 games W3 L6 (that might include the 1 or 2 that Hunt managed whilst Wellens was ill negotiating to fuck off

Sheridan 6 games W2 D1 L3

So as it stands its not much different, Wellens was not working very well and he jumped Sheridan the jury is still out.

Cannot believe Wellens has only been gone a month, feels like a bloody lifetime!
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:31:11 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:33:07 »

He was poor last night, and patchy on Saturday. But he's generally been pretty good most of this season. Just think weeks of playing twice a week is finally catching up with him, along with tbf most of the squad.

Cannot be bothered to do the maths, but as the season started late I assume we are playing so often to catch up, on that basis (and the fact that we are out of all the cups) I assume the calendar will ease a bit in the not too distant?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:38:32 »

Looking at it;

Wellens 9 games W3 L6 (that might include the 1 or 2 that Hunt managed whilst Wellens was ill negotiating to fuck off

Sheridan 6 games W2 D1 L3

So as it stands its not much different, Wellens was not working very well and he jumped Sheridan the jury is still out.

Cannot believe Wellens has only been gone a month, feels like a bloody lifetime!

I'm pretty crap re tactics etc but the difference between Sheridan and Wellens appears to be that Wellens is a bit of a one trick pony and generally sticks to plan A. Whereas Sheridan has come in, seen that we are a bit shit at the back (understatement of the year) and put out teams to try and make us hard to beat, garnering us a clean sheet and a streaky 1-0 win and pretty unlucky not to take a point at home to Lincoln. Also, there is not a hope in hell that Wellens would have thrown Broadbent up front at Oxford.

Its perhaps not completely fair to say that Wellens wouldn't have got us 3 points at Oxford, and our injuries have been horrific but I do think in the current circumstances I think that Sheridan is more likely to keep us up than Wellens would have been. See his pathetic attempt to keep Oldham up during his first managerial role.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #320 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:45:38 »

I'm pretty crap re tactics etc but the difference between Sheridan and Wellens appears to be that Wellens is a bit of a one trick pony and generally sticks to plan A. Whereas Sheridan has come in, seen that we are a bit shit at the back (understatement of the year) and put out teams to try and make us hard to beat, garnering us a clean sheet and a streaky 1-0 win and pretty unlucky not to take a point at home to Lincoln. Also, there is not a hope in hell that Wellens would have thrown Broadbent up front at Oxford.
I think Plymouth fans would say the exact opposite about Sheridan that he too is a one trick pony. I guess only time will tell, but Wellens did leave us in a poor situtation entirely of his making.

I am sure too that Wellens wouldn't have the guts or inclination to have played Broadbent up front and hence we probably wouldn't have won at the Pox.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:46:25 »

Its perhaps not completely fair to say that Wellens wouldn't have got us 3 points at Oxford, and our injuries have been horrific but I do think in the current circumstances I think that Sheridan is more likely to keep us up than Wellens would have been. See his pathetic attempt to keep Oldham up during his first managerial role.

Agree with pretty much all of that, what causes my eyebrow to twitch is this idea that Wellens introduced some sort of revolutionary 'Wellensball' which is writing him a reputational cheque he cannot honour.

Note that he has W2 and L 3 in the league since he took over at Salford, so not a million miles different to Sheridan, not sure what Alexander's record was like before he got the Elbow, but they seem broadly where they were in the league?
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:48:45 by horlock07 » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:49:48 »

I think Plymouth fans would say the exact opposite about Sheridan that he too is a one trick pony. I guess only time will tell, but Wellens did leave us in a poor situtation entirely of his making.

I am sure too that Wellens wouldn't have the guts or inclination to have played Broadbent up front and hence we probably wouldn't have won at the Pox.

From what I have read PV, I think Sheridan is a bit of a lower league Allardyce where he seems to come into clubs and save them from relegation, where he tends to struggle is when he has been somewhere a long time and is unable to take clubs to other levels.

I'm not suggesting Sheridan is the saviour or some kind of tactical genius but I do think that in a relegation dogfight I reckon Sheridan has more minerals than Lieutenant Abandonship.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #323 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:56:24 »

From what I have read PV, I think Sheridan is a bit of a lower league Allardyce where he seems to come into clubs and save them from relegation, where he tends to struggle is when he has been somewhere a long time and is unable to take clubs to other levels.

I'm not suggesting Sheridan is the saviour or some kind of tactical genius but I do think that in a relegation dogfight I reckon Sheridan has more minerals than Lieutenant Abandonship.
So far he has done more than Paul Hart achieved and will long live in the memory as the man that broke the Pox hoodoo, no matter what happens for that I am grateful, even if he is not here for the long term.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 11:30:34 »

Looking at it Tyler Smith has 7 goals in 7 starts, that bloody good and seems to have been rather missed (at least by me!)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 12:09:29 »

Looking at it Tyler Smith has 7 goals in 7 starts, that bloody good and seems to have been rather missed (at least by me!)

Though less than four in the League? He doesn't make this table:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 12:34:37 »

Though less than four in the League? He doesn't make this table:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

According to the ever great below he has 4?

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Squad.asp?Season=2020-2021
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 16:22:27 »

Congrats to Harry Parsons on making his debut, albeit he has a very severe fringe!

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 16:24:39 »

Is that keeper trying to copy Wayne Hennessey?

I come from a land down-under
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 16:33:54 »

Congrats to Harry Parsons on making his debut, albeit he has a very severe fringe!

Spock-like
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: