Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crewe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21915 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:05:07 »

Correct. People got carried away with the result(which is understandable) and forgot how poor that game/performance actually was.

Yep, one swallow doesn't make a summer.
Panda Paws

« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:28:20 »

The shape didn't work at all - 442 with TB upfront was ridiculous from the outset, but to not change it as the game went on was criminal.

But more than anything, our squad is in bits. The players that are playing are running on fumes. Get through Gills and we've got a week off to rest and try and get some bodies back. Last night we had 10 or 11 fit outfield players. A Grant is injured but playing. M Smith is shattered.

It's the same for everyone - it's going to be inconsistent, it's going to be brutal. We've just got to win more games than 4 others.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:38:37 »

When you look at our squad, how many are suited to playing in a relegation battle, utilising a completely different style to the very open, expansive 'Wellensball" way, most were recruited for.

It's much harder fitness wise to play without the ball and we have gone from a side that dominated games to one that is looking to feed off scraps, using a much more direct style, which does not play to the strengths of many of our players, particularly the likes of an ageing Caddis or youngsters such as Matt Smith, Johny Smith and Jordan Stevens, who were all loaned in to support an expansive way of playing.

Of the current squad, perhaps only Hunt, Broadbent, Grounds, Odimayo, Donahue, Antony Grant and Lyden fit the bill and they are all either injured, recently returned from injury or approaching the end of their career, in the case of Grounds and A Grant.

Injuries have clearly taken a massive toll and Sheridan will be hoping that we pick up enough points from the next 6 fixtures in December (Gills, Doncaster and Pompey away, Fleetwood, Charlton and MK at home) to not start getting cut adrift in a bottom 4 along with Wigan, Shrewsbury and Burton. They all look difficult fixtures with the most likely source of points being Gills away and MK home, although fielding 11 fit players is going to be a challenge for the Gills game on Saturday. If we can get a settled back 4 of Hunt, Odimayo, Broadbent and Donahue playing behind A Grant and Lyden as 2 holding midfielders, then we may be able to do better than I expect in December, but that currently seems unlikely.

The January transfer window is going to be crucial, to firstly bring in some characters who are vocal, physical and used to playing the way Sheridan wants us to play. We may have to send some young loanees back as i cant see them being up for, or thriving in a relegation battle. We also need some players that have a decent fitness record, as our list of injuries is frankly embarrassing. Also an absolute priority is to get an experienced keeper in, as although Kovar may end up as a top keeper, he is not what we need at the moment. Perhaps we could make a cheeky bid to get Luke McCormick on loan from January, he would fit the bill. All of this depends on finances, which means hardly any of it is likely to happen of course.

Sorry to sound so glum, maybe it's 2020 finally taking it's toll on me, but after witnessing the surrender in the second half last night, I really dont hold out much hope for the rest of the season.
REDBUCK

« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:46:38 »

:442 not working at all isn't strickly true as we were 2-0 up using 442 and then gave away a poor goal that had norhing to do with shape.

Sheridan seemed to change from being safety first as for the last few games to being more open for longer. As people have pointed out he failed to adapt when we were obviously struggling.

Looks likely at the moment that we will be in a mini league at the bottom where the teams are more our level.

Panda Paws

« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:50:25 »

:442 not working at all isn't strickly true as we were 2-0 up using 442 and then gave away a poor goal that had norhing to do with shape.

Sheridan seemed to change from being safety first as for the last few games to being more open for longer. As people have pointed out he failed to adapt when we were obviously struggling.

Looks likely at the moment that we will be in a mini league at the bottom where the teams are more our level.

We didn't go 2-0 up because of the shape. The CMs were too deep and overran from the first minute. Suicide to go 2v3 in there against Crewe.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:58:51 by Panda Paws » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:53:01 »

@kirky - I fear the January window will be non existent

well, non existent without fresh cash coming in.

in this environment I totally get that and accept it.
Flashheart

« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:55:24 »

Yep. We were deservedly ahead.

Then the game changed, but we didn't. I'm willing to be quite forgiving given our injuries and whatnot, but Sheridan not doing anything is fucking baffling. I'd love to hear his reasoning behind it. Maybe he has a legitimate reason for it.

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 10:31:28 »

But, either way it proves there are worse teams than us.  Sheridan seems to have gone from hero to zero  in a just a few days, maybe he should have changed the formation at 2:0 up, but with an empty bench he obviously felt at half time that we had enough to see the game out......... Wrong.
Hopefully the injury problems will improve, possibly strengthen the squad in the next few weeks, either way don't think we can blame Sheridan entirely, he can only work with what he has in front of him.
Keep the faith !!!.

Yeah there are worst sides but that doesn't get away from the fact that we are also a struggling team.
I'm not offering an opinion on Sheridan. He's been here 5 mins and it would be foolish to do so yet.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 10:38:34 »

In mitigation, we have pretty much an entire team out injured and on the positive side we've won 2 and lost 2 of our last 4, keep that up and that will be enough to keep us going. Last night just looked like a game too far, or perhaps 50 minutes too far. We looked pretty good for the first 35 mins or so, but then the cracks started to show. They're clearly knackered, injuries and two games a week are killing us. The question is, is this just a horrible crossroads of the peak of our injuries and getting toward the end of the busiest period of two games a week or are we going to keep seeing two coming back as two go out?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 10:40:19 »

Absolutely love Paul Caddis and his contribution in 2 spells at Swindon has been immense, but tonight proves to me that he unfortunately is not reliable enough to play at League 1 level and I really hate saying that.
Not sure that's very fair to say he can't play at L1 at all. Perhaps "can't be expected to play twice a week for months" might be fairer?
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:16:57 »

Not sure that's very fair to say he can't play at L1 at all. Perhaps "can't be expected to play twice a week for months" might be fairer?

He was brilliant last season in a team playing an expansive style, dominating the ball, which played to his strengths. He is not suited to a backs to the wall, more defensive minded team.

Added to the fact he is up against more physical, powerful and better attack minded opposition. Powell completely had him on toast last night. I just think its a season to far for him, certainly in this team.
Flashheart

« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:19:45 »

Caddis has been mostly fine so far this season. He's not suddenly lost it overnight.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:26:55 »

He was brilliant last season in a team playing an expansive style, dominating the ball, which played to his strengths. He is not suited to a backs to the wall, more defensive minded team.

Added to the fact he is up against more physical, powerful and better attack minded opposition. Powell completely had him on toast last night. I just think its a season to far for him, certainly in this team.
He was poor last night, and patchy on Saturday. But he's generally been pretty good most of this season. Just think weeks of playing twice a week is finally catching up with him, along with tbf most of the squad. Far too early to be writing him off just yet. If we manage to get some players back so he can be rested/rotated a bit and then he's ropey, I'll gladly concede your point but to date I don't think what we've seen proves that he's completely gone rather than just knackered and overused.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:49:04 »

Sheridan got tactically beaten last night.
Crewe reminded me of the Richie Wellens school of football, tidy, patient, pressing and possession based. Yes they went from right to left but executed the through ball at the right time.

We can make excuses tired, injures etc with some mileage but Sheridan got that wrong last night.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:59:07 »

He was poor last night, and patchy on Saturday. But he's generally been pretty good most of this season. Just think weeks of playing twice a week is finally catching up with him, along with tbf most of the squad. Far too early to be writing him off just yet. If we manage to get some players back so he can be rested/rotated a bit and then he's ropey, I'll gladly concede your point but to date I don't think what we've seen proves that he's completely gone rather than just knackered and overused.

Fair enough Paul. Btw I am a massive fan of Paul Caddis, probably my favourite right back since David Kerslake. Looking forward to Saturday, it seems unlikely that DJ and T Smith will be able to play 3 games in a week after just returning from injury and Caddis clearly needs resting.  Expect a couple of the youngsters to get a run out: namely Haines in midfield (supporting A Grant) and Parsons up front. Will be good to have a dose of much needed fresh energy. Would expect Conroy to start as well if Broadbent and Hunt are ruled out, with Odimayo switching to right back. Will be a struggle to fill the bench.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: