Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crewe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21950 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:13:11 »

Have no problem with the starting formation, the starting XI or even the identity of the subs, but we shipped four consecutive goals with no tactical changes. During that time we had a serviceable centre back up front. It's not about the identity of the subs, it's that he waited so long to make them when everyone could see that legs had gone.

I'm not seething, but I think Sheridan takes more blame than the players for that turnaround.

I think you're clutching at straws. If pulling Broadbent into defence, going to three centre-backs with Curran and leaving Parsons and Stevens up front for the last half-hour would have had a different outcome, you can see how desperate we were.

We got what that squad could deliver I'm afraid. Zilch.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:15:17 »

Not putting too much on tonight. Saturday was a massive effort for an already depleted squad. We've taken 3 points from two away games and I'd take a point if offered against Gillingham on Saturday. It's no secret we're short on numbers and I believe next week will be our first clear week since the start of November.

Sheridan could also benefit from a full week on the training ground. After Gills we play four very tough looking games against Fleetwood, Doncaster, Charlton and Portsmouth.

Hopefully we gain some bodies over the next week or two rather than lose even more.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:17:42 »

Crewe been playing 2 games a week since the beginning of Oct and played 120 minutes on Saturday. They may have a fitter squad but our injuries make me wonder about our approach to training etc

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:19:26 »

No seething from me. It is what it is. Think we'll just about be better than maybe 5/6 other sides this season.
This.

Now off to watch the scum highlights again to cheer me up....
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:21:50 »

Just noticed we're 5th in the goals for column and bottom of goals conceded. No prizes for guessing where we need to improve.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:22:25 »

Our injury record of players is shocking- well I suppose what can we expect as we’ve signed a load of injury prone players.

Roll on February and the court case.

We look weaker in almost every position than last year in a higher division- a recipe for disaster.

Sooner Power loses control the better- which he will do if he loses the case.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:22:33 »

Sheridan:
- Game too far? No. First half we were excellent. Game plan good and players played to it.
- Goal before half time was disappointing.
- Second half. Players have to demand from eachother. Sheridan was shouting lots.
- Complained that none of the players were vocal and shouting to eachother
- Dont want to be too hard. They have worked their socks off.
- We have an experienced back four who should be demanding of each other (Telling each other what to do)
- Downer to concede 4
- Gave it away cheaply
- Didn't organise eachother and be vocal on the pitch
- We have to demand all over the pitch to get results
- Injuries not helping
- Very short on bodies
- DJ and Tyler shouldn't have been involved (coming back from injury)
- First half ok
- Too many little things in the second half that ended up in big things
- When you are 2-1 up you should push yourself even more to win
- Should have been stronger and braver. Too many people standing off.
- Broadbent up front as he had noone else
- Wanted to leave out T Smith and DJ. But couldn't
- Bit soft second half
- Smith and DJ off to protect them. At 4-2 game was gone
- Not sure whats wrong with Broadbent
- Hunt calf strain
- Got to make sure we keep as many people fit and available
- People need to be sharper in defending
- What we did in the first half we should have done in the second
- Where can consistency come from? Make the game look simply. Just do the basics properly
- We make ourselves vulnerable
- No good rushing people back. Just have to wait and see.
- Would like a few more bodies fit and available.
- M Smith tailing off? He wouldn't talk about individuals. If he had something to say about an individual he would do it in the changing room.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:24:23 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:28:48 »

Our injury record of players is shocking- well I suppose what can we expect as we’ve signed a load of injury prone players.

Roll on February and the court case.

We look weaker in almost every position than last year in a higher division- a recipe for disaster.

Sooner Power loses control the better- which he will do if he loses the case.

That’s my concern we are a weaker side than last season and the number of muscular injuries surely are not just coincidental.
That second half we simply couldn’t run, one attack 5 against 2 with players walking.
Massive concerns.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:32:26 »

Need Dion Conroy if anything to vocally organise that defence.
Interesting comment from Sheridan regarding the communication, noted that tonight.
It’s over now and some interesting internal discussions will follow that.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:32:31 »

Bit of a "going through the motions" interview with Jaiyesimi, I thought  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:32:48 »

DJ:
- Had hold of them first half
- Their first shook Town up
- There is communication on the pitch, but we need to talk more
- Second goal 'It was a shot from me and Tyler got on the end of it'
- Good to be back. Felt OK today
- A few injuries and Covid aint great but he's back now
- Can pick out little excuses, but he thinks everything will click soon
- We let them play their game. We should have kept it more compact
- DJ came back to get games under his belt and kick on
- A few injured lads coming back into the fold.
- There is potential to beat the big sides

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:36:42 »

I think you just forget that one tonight.

This is with a lot of hindsight, and I've said it before, but Wellens does have to shoulder some of the blame here (maybe he saw it).  He has recruited like it was last season and not taken account of the freak nature of this season.  It was a gamble last year and it paid off, and I think he was right to take it.  This season was all about having bodies who could get through a slog in a bizarre world mentally.  We've recruited the same type of players - this time it is killing us.  We have too many injuries and complete mental collapse.  The individual talent level is OK, getting it to work is tricky in the circumstances though.

IF, and that is a very big IF, we can manage to ease some of the injured players back in, get away with a few Oxford results along the way and keep ourselves above water, I think a fit version of our squad stays up.  I do think Sheridan has to take the responsibility from the players of making us more compact though, in the meantime at least.  If we don't have the legs for it, going 4-2-4 (which is what we essentially did with players like Payne and DJ wide) is asking for trouble if done for more than a last 15 minute gamble.  Get some extra legs in the middle to help Grant and then let the front 3 be forward thinking (they can't really be anything else with the players we have).

It won't stop the brain fade that will keep happening, but it will ensure we have a few extra bodies to cover for each other.

Next, Grounds has to be benched - he's the only one I watch and think he's just not got it.  Caddis tries even if his legs are not with him, as does Grant.  Odimayo has a youngsters head, but he's trying and generally looks sound.  Grounds just seems completely lost - I don't want to say he isn't trying, but it sure looks like it at times.  Problem is we've started to run out of other players again!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:39:37 by RobertT » Logged
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:40:35 »

I don't have the time or inclination to overanalyse events this evening.  My view remains that relegation will be avoided.

Nothing to see here
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:40:47 »

Oh, and the Keeper situation really does need looking at.  I'm not going to jump up and down blaming the young lad, but we can't carry someone learning their trade this season in that position.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 21:44:59 »

Kovar 5/10: I expect a goalkeeper to make routine saves. He did that when we were 4-2 down. Could have done better with at least 3 out of 4
Caddis 4/10: Criminal header to give away possession in the box for the first goal. Torrid time defending on his own.
Donahue 5/10: Struggled against pace. Put in a strong shift running everywhere, but kept getting caught out by pace and movement
Grounds 4/10: Don’t stand off! Our keeper doesn’t save much. Try protecting him!
Odimayo 6/10: Not brilliant. Not bad. Consistent.
A Grant 5/10: Scored!?! Not sure he  influenced much
M Smith 4/10: Not a great game tonight. Needs a rest
J Payne 5/10: Fizzed around the pitch first half and was burned out by 55 mins. Needed to support Caddis and didn’t
T Broadbent 5/10: Won a few things early on. He tried but he’s not a CF.
T Smith 5/10: Seemed to have his arms out protesting lots. Scored one. Missed one easyish header
DJ 5/10: Looked threatening on occasions in the first.

Subs:
T Stevens 1/10: Didn’t see him do anything
H Parsons 4/10: Ace kicking the defender up in the air in first 5 secs! We had 2 mins of chances and then it subsided.
T Curran 4/10: Stopped a corner. Didnt do a lot more!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: