Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Golf  (Read 2105 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, November 29, 2020, 17:33:10 »

I play 3/4 time a week and since retirement my game has improved enormously !

Best tip is don't try to hit the ball too hard. Invariably, the slower you swing the further it goes  Wink
It's not the one that hits the furthest that wins, it's the one that get down in the least shots.
I play golf with a 91 year old and quite often he wins, because he always hits it straight off the tee, is deadly around the greens and never leaves his putts short - easy  Angry

Next best tip - have lessons with a pro and practice what you have been taught.
Going to the driving range and trying to hit the ball over the fence at the bottom is a waste of time.

Last tip - watch Freddy Couples play - smooth swing, timing !

Better to be known as the member with the smoothest swing than the one that hits it the furthest.

Totally agree with all that. Although I was a big fan of Tony Jacklin's style of play...and Phil Mickleson for approach play.

Correct about putting. Think it was Sandy Lyle who used to speak about never leaving your putts short.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Panda Paws

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, November 29, 2020, 17:51:58 »

I play 3/4 time a week and since retirement my game has improved enormously !

Best tip is don't try to hit the ball too hard. Invariably, the slower you swing the further it goes  Wink
It's not the one that hits the furthest that wins, it's the one that get down in the least shots.
I play golf with a 91 year old and quite often he wins, because he always hits it straight off the tee, is deadly around the greens and never leaves his putts short - easy  Angry

Next best tip - have lessons with a pro and practice what you have been taught.
Going to the driving range and trying to hit the ball over the fence at the bottom is a waste of time.

Last tip - watch Freddy Couples play - smooth swing, timing !

Better to be known as the member with the smoothest swing than the one that hits it the furthest.

Helpful, Thanks. I've been told to go to the range and get a swing, even if it's a bad one learnt from YouTube, because it's better bang for your buck to get lessons to correct a swing rather than start from zero so going to go with that.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, November 29, 2020, 21:28:36 »

I used to play twice a week when younger, and have considered starting again. Need to find some clubs if so. Got my handicap down to 14 at one point and then started shooting 100’s! Packed it in after that as was getting too pissed off with it.

Where did you get the clubs from?

you need to start again. come join me and the lads.
we're all off to Celtic Manor in Aug for 3 days

magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, November 29, 2020, 21:31:39 »

I play but no where near as much as I like.

got my handicap down to 14 when I was playing 2 or 3 times a week.
now I play once a month if I'm lucky.
still shooting anywhere between 85 to 95 so know with consistency I could do a lot better.

michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, November 30, 2020, 09:50:26 »

The driving range will be good for crafting a swing, but the best place to learn is definitely out on the course.

You can find some good youtube channels to help you out, my favourite is "Golf Sidekick", look up the 'break 100' videos, and learn the ways of the playa. It won't teach you how to swing, but it will teach you how to play.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, November 30, 2020, 10:06:35 »

Start with vids how to grip the club properly first and foremost. Then go from there.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, November 30, 2020, 10:30:11 »

Totally agree, along with stance as well.  Then, as mentioned previously, develop your own basic swing which can then be tweaked with lessons later on.

I’ve floated between a 18-22 Hcp for about 15 years now and while there is no more frustrating sport going, the feeling of a creaming a shot off the middle of the club face and the ball going exactly where it should is a bloody great feeling. Makes all the club throwing, expletives, etc worthwhile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: