Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Twine  (Read 19421 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 02:29:27 »

I'm not sure about the Wellens credit bit. We also have to remember he says a lot of things that aren't necessarily true. Surely if he didn't think Twine was physical enough to get into the Town squad, how in hell's teeth would he have been physical enough to get into a Welsh L2 squad?

Personally I think Newport needed a body and Town (Wellens) were looking to offload. I don't think there was much strategy going in "Oh we'll send him there because it's a little less physical". I also don't really believe RW gave too much of a shit and he's not that intelligent. Newport might easily have ended up with Palmer and Wigan with Twine? Similar build of player.

Said it already but chuffed as mustard for the lad Twine, and Palmer to some degree. The rest is history.

I agree with the rest of your statement though Berni but yes, it was a bit 'Bamboo' wasn't it?! Feels good though, to have a literary blow-out ey?
 Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 06:19:40 »

I guess ultimately very few people will truly know if Wellens sent Twine out on loan to get game time & develop or to get his wages off the budget to bring in some of the garbage he/we recruited.

I think that’s what irks.

Last season Twine wasn’t getting in our team, no chance so getting him out on loan made sense. We lost our whole attack in the summer and recruitment was sluggish, slow and a lot of unknown.

Add to the fact Twine had a decent pre season (not always the best indicator but the only one we had) I think many felt he deserved a chance. There is no way he could have done any worse than some Of our attackers performance this season.

Like Wellens whole time here - due to the short nature of it, we won’t ever know whether this was a master stroke by Wellens to get Twine game time and the plan was to always bring him back into the fold or whether Wellens got it wrong by deeming him not good enough.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 07:25:26 »

Master stroke me hairy arse. If Wellens thought he had a player on his hands - even one he thought needed a loan at Newport - he’d have badgered Power into extending his contract instead of being willing for Twine to see out his last year in Wales.

There’s only 1 person to thank for Scott Twine - Mike Flynn
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 08:44:15 »

Master stroke me hairy arse. If Wellens thought he had a player on his hands - even one he thought needed a loan at Newport - he’d have badgered Power into extending his contract instead of being willing for Twine to see out his last year in Wales.

Agreed.

Not forgetting Scott himself
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 08:54:36 »

Whatever the truth behind the loan deal you can be sure of one thing. At some point there will be a few people taking the plaudits and shouting about ‘their’ master stroke of a decision to send him there.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 09:12:15 »

Whatever the truth behind the loan deal you can be sure of one thing. At some point there will be a few people taking the plaudits and shouting about ‘their’ master stroke of a decision to send him there.

Richie Wellens saying ‘I made his career’
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 09:22:19 »

The contract situation is a great shout to be fair.
bilko

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 09:42:07 »

Having seen Twine perform in pre-season I thought he may have given him the chance from the start of the season but glad he has come back as he’s deserved his chance. People have to remember he’s still young and learning so I thought people weee too harsh on their judgement previously. Problem is now he only has 6 months left on his contract & I noticed him talking to Wolfendum after the game Saturday maybe ha was talking about his options then as a number of championship sides after him now and knowing LP he will cash in or maybe he won’t sign a new contract.
Wellens could do a Sherwood and say it was part of his master plan to give him a kick up the back side by sending him out to Newport but personally I don’t think Wellens rated him that’s why he sent him on loan and also treated Broadbent like crap & maybe Wellens is a good manager but maybe Wellens level is L2.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:41:34 »

Bit of a stretch on a chat between two former team mates.
He might have just been saying ‘alright mate, how’s it going’
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #69 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:49:39 »

Problem is now he only has 6 months left on his contract & I noticed him talking to Wolfendum after the game Saturday maybe ha was talking about his options then as a number of championship sides after him now and knowing LP he will cash in or maybe he won’t sign a new contract.
Or maybe if Clem is pulling the strings financially as has been suggested he won't let Power sell Twine on the cheap and wants him tied down on a longer contract?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:51:09 »

Or maybe if Clem is pulling the strings financially as has been suggested he won't let Power sell Twine on the cheap and wants him tied down on a longer contract?

Not forgetting the Barry/Standing % of club/transfer profit conundrum.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:06:14 »

Wasn’t the general vibe pre-season that he was probably not good enough to crack it here at League 1 and a loan spell away was almost his last chance to prove himself? I’m think a lot, if not most, agreed with what Wellens did at the time

Seems to be a bit of standard revisionist history going on amongst some people

I’m thanking Wellens now for that decision, whatever the unknown reasons behind his decision
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:08:09 »

Wasn’t the general vibe pre-season that he was probably not good enough to crack it here at League 1 and a loan spell away was almost his last chance to prove himself? I’m think a lot, if not most, agreed with what Wellens did at the time

Seems to be a bit of standard revisionist history going on amongst some people

I’m thanking Wellens now for that decision, whatever the unknown reasons behind his decision

I think it was very split. Those of the opinion you posted and other suggesting because he had, had a good pre season and we were looking extremely short up front he was at least worth a chance - even if it was just for say August and we got him out on loan at the end of the window.
Flashheart

« Reply #73 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:10:46 »

Maybe, maybe not.

But the buck falls with the person making the decisions, not fans who aren't paid to get it right and don't see players in training.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:11:52 »

there is also a bit of assumption that twine has made it in league 1. He was very anonymous for much of the 90 mins but he took his time with passing and in general looked tidy.

If he hadn't have scored that goal and we lost then the reviews would be substantially different. I am potentially very excited for him and for us to have him but we know how quickly football can change.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: