Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Lincoln pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20121 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 11:30:17 »

I think its very much a case of needs must the way we play currently. After getting spanked 3-0 at home to Accrington, we've very much changed things, there is no more playing out from the back, we've more bodies in midfield and in general we look much more solid.

Of course there isn't a great deal the manager can do if the keepers continue to give away goals but we were 15 minutes away from picking up a point at home to one of the better sides in the league. Grinding out 0-0 and 1-0 wins really is a case of needs must at the moment. That may change as we get more players back from injury and confidence grows.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 11:31:11 »

On a positive note, a few weeks ago we seemed to be setting up like a Keegan side where we had to score 3 to even get a point. Sheridan seems to have stopped that at least, although there's a way to go before you could start talking about "solid at the back". He's done that quicker than I thought he would be able to, albeit at the cost of goals at the other end. But you build from the back. We didn't play a lot of football last night or Saturday, but unlike Saturday, last night we held our own against one of the better sides in the division and we did have chances. Not just Baudry's header but if Stevens had brought down Matt Smith's ball from deep properly in the first half he was clean through and there were other chances too, mainly in the 1st half. There's something to build on here.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 11:33:07 »

I think its very much a case of needs must the way we play currently. After getting spanked 3-0 at home to Accrington, we've very much changed things, there is no more playing out from the back, we've more bodies in midfield and in general we look much more solid.

Of course there isn't a great deal the manager can do if the keepers continue to give away goals but we were 15 minutes away from picking up a point at home to one of the better sides in the league. Grinding out 0-0 and 1-0 wins really is a case of needs must at the moment. That may change as we get more players back from injury and confidence grows.
Absolutely, pick tactics to suit a team not the other way around when fit players are short in number.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 11:52:19 »

Kovar isn't a scapegoat - He's consistently shown he's not good enough for L1 yet. He was a cheap option.

Fryer isn't a scapegoat - He too and shown that he's not good enough for L1 yet. I suspect that he is on a pittance and signed a short term deal in the hopes of getting back into football after injury and earning a better contract elsewhere or whenever the club is sold.

Wellens isn't a scapegoat - He wasn't given the money to get anything better. If we'd been the supporters of another club, we'd have viewed his departure as leaving a 'basket case'.

It will be interesting to look back on this period in a few years time when what has been going on behind the scenes eventually becomes public - I assume there are a lot of skeletons in the closet.

Great post and spot on.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 12:12:18 »

I have no idea, kovar could be brilliant in time. Tom Heaton was useless for us and he's had a great career.

it's just the present day I'm concerned with egg l though.
Funny, I don't remember him being "useless". However I do remember the 10 in front of him being generally pretty crap.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 12:23:02 »

Funny, I don't remember him being "useless". However I do remember the 10 in front of him being generally pretty crap.

He was far from useless.
A few mistakes like any young keeper but you could tell he would have an ok career as a lower Prem / upper Champ keeper.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 12:27:17 »

If you're after examples of crap keepers I give you Jon Sheffield

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 12:35:39 »

If you're after examples of crap keepers I give you Jon Sheffield

I must confess I never really got Nicky Hammond.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 12:56:27 »

We knew it already but season has highlighted how the loan market can determine a club’s success.

Last year we had Doyle Benda Grant Yates Ballard/Reg Muskwe

This year. Kovar having a mare, Tyler injured, Jonny good but raw af, Matt superstar & Stevens a right footed Alan O’Brien

Panda Paws

« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 13:08:50 »

We knew it already but season has highlighted how the loan market can determine a club’s success.

Last year we had Doyle Benda Grant Yates Ballard/Reg Muskwe

This year. Kovar having a mare, Tyler injured, Jonny good but raw af, Matt superstar & Stevens a right footed Alan O’Brien

It's interesting how people see J Smith v Stevens - right now they've had as much impact as each other in my book, and Stevens' ceiling is higher. Just need to get him properly fit.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 13:13:59 »

personally I've enjoyed watching Smith more than Stevens.

I like his directness in getting at the opposition. Neither have shown an end product yet.

hopefully it'll come to both of them
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 14:44:33 »

It's interesting how people see J Smith v Stevens - right now they've had as much impact as each other in my book, and Stevens' ceiling is higher. Just need to get him properly fit.

Would say J Smith has had more of an impact. If both players could improve their final product they'd be very useful League One players. Was impressed by Stevens dispossessing Lincoln players yesterday, did it 3/4 times in the first half.
REDBUCK

« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 15:20:22 »

Would say J Smith has had more of an impact. If both players could improve their final product they'd be very useful League One players. Was impressed by Stevens dispossessing Lincoln players yesterday, did it 3/4 times in the first half.

That's good, hopefully he can continue to contribute as hes going to be needed if Smith is out for a while.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 17:10:23 »

That's good, hopefully he can continue to contribute as hes going to be needed if Smith is out for a while.

Would be a great time for him to step up and take his chance. Much is also mirrored here with Broadbean.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Rapidflyer

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 20:33:24 »

Good news on the scan, it is a Grade 1 MCL, so 2-3 weeks max dependant on recovery, but as he is young you generally heal quicker !! Now, if this was me it would be 2 years and I would still be on my back like a beetle.... Cool
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: