Poll
Question: Should heading be banned in football?
Yes - 3 (6.7%)
No - 42 (93.3%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Should heading be banned in football?  (Read 14080 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:37:20 »

I am  not a medical practitioner but I understand that repeated blows to the head are unlikely to be beneficial to health.  Football involves blows to the head. If you play in defence or up front, you are likely to head the ball a lot.

As with other sports and pastimes, there is an obligation to understand the risks.  I understand that this is what is happening now.

If we know what the risks are, we can make informed choices and governing bodies can consider how we might mitigate those risks.

If the game has to move on and adapt then so be it. Football as we know it now differs from what Charles 'Charlie' Charles played in the 1930s.  

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:47:08 »

It is apparently 3.5 times more prevalent in ex-pros than in the general population. That is how it is tied back to playing football. That may not be due to heading the ball, there may be other factors at play which is why the PFA are funding further research into the topic.

Ok, but I  guess this relates to footballers who played a few years ago when the ball was very heavy when soaked?
REDBUCK

« Reply #32 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:56:50 »

Don't forget a lighter ball would travel with greater force would it not, no point in waiting years for cases to emerge just need to get on and make changes.

It might be too late for some.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:58:57 »

Generally I'd advocate the removal of heading in football. I think almost all of the science backs this up, and as mentioned it's the repetititve training that causes damage rather than the more occasional occurances during games.

I don't think it would drastically alter attacking play (headed goals aren't usually that great), but how would defenders deal with a goal kick and cross if they couldn't header it away? I guess it would be a battle of who could position themsevles better, jump, and control it with their chest.

Would be interested to see a pro game/decent standard game without headers.
As proven last game, some of our players can’t kick the ball. So banning heading would make them practically redundant.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:01:39 »

Ok, but I  guess this relates to footballers who played a few years ago when the ball was very heavy when soaked?
You're making a lot of assumptions that the weight of the ball is the sole cause of injury. Whereas when I've heard neurologists speak about this, they seem to have emphasised the number and frequency of impacts (i.e. repetitions) rather than any one individual impact.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:08:47 »

I can appreciate the argument against heading at a young age, but if people want to become an adult or professional footballer it’s got to be their choice - not yet more nanny state elf and safety dictats.

They’ll be banning words from loved Xmas songs next!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:18:15 »

You're making a lot of assumptions that the weight of the ball is the sole cause of injury. Whereas when I've heard neurologists speak about this, they seem to have emphasised the number and frequency of impacts (i.e. repetitions) rather than any one individual impact.

So what are they doing about boxing and mma?
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:36:13 »

So what are they doing about boxing and mma?

Is that relevant to understanding the risks involved in participating in all aspects of association football?

Nothing to see here
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:48:13 »

Is that relevant to understanding the risks involved in participating in all aspects of association football?

Your point is?

Heading is part of the game. Take that away and it'll be similar to 5 a side.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:50:56 by 4D » Logged
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:01:47 »

Your point is?

Heading is part of the game. Take that away and it'll be similar to 5 a side.

I merely asked whether decisions made in relation to sports that involve deliberate attempts to cause brain trauma are relevant to heading in football.

Nothing to see here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:23:48 »

Rather torn on this, having spent probably 15 years of my younger years playing football in defence and heading the ball a lot (I was always much better with my head than my feet!!) I then developed neurological problems a few years back in my early 40's, no evidence it was from football, albeit there is no evidence that it isn't as my consultant has no idea of the cause.

I agree that we would have a very different sport without heading, so its probably down to individual choices, as I only have a daughter and whilst she enjoys a kick around I cannot see here ever playing much I thankfully won't have to make any choice, if I had a son I would probably give it more thought.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:31:07 »

My kids all play organised football and we often practice headers in the back garden. 

Nothing to see here
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:46:06 »

I merely asked whether decisions made in relation to sports that involve deliberate attempts to cause brain trauma are relevant to heading in football.

If they try to ban heading in football then yes, it's very relevant.

Personally, I think that it shouldn't be banned in the adult game but should be considered in the youth game.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:46:57 »

If they try to ban heading in football then yes, it's very relevant.

Personally, I think that it shouldn't be banned in the adult game but should be considered in the youth game.

Sorry if this has already been said but will banning heading in youth football lead to worse technique of heading in adults?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:51:31 »

I can appreciate the argument against heading at a young age, but if people want to become an adult or professional footballer it’s got to be their choice
Yep, as Rob T argued on the first page of this thread, I think. Minded to agree. Although personally I think even with kids the repetition is a problem more than one-off acts so it's probably enough to restrict repetitive heading drills in training for younger players (which is what the FA have done). Pending, of course, what the research shows.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:58:13 by pauld » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: