Poll
Question: Should heading be banned in football?
Yes - 3 (6.7%)
No - 42 (93.3%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Should heading be banned in football?  (Read 14088 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 19, 2020, 13:32:35 »

Modern day footballs are bloody light as a feather anyway, unlike in the good old days of heading a bag of sand.

However it makes complete sense to limit the amount of heading in young kids football
Limit being the key word. They still have to learn it and learn how to do it safely.

Agree that modern day balls are lighter than they were 50-60 years ago, and even 20-30 years ago when I was at school, you didn't want those mitre delta's hitting you on the top of your head. You'd have a headache for the whole afternoon.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 19, 2020, 13:38:52 »

Everyone will be wrapped up in a cotton wool bubble for their whole lives if we keep banning things. Bollocks to that.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 07:59:39 »

Limit being the key word. They still have to learn it and learn how to do it safely.

Agree that modern day balls are lighter than they were 50-60 years ago, and even 20-30 years ago when I was at school, you didn't want those mitre delta's hitting you on the top of your head. You'd have a headache for the whole afternoon.
That was when footballs were footballs, remember many a game ducking out of headers when the balls were wet, weighed a ton, if you caught it wrong you'd go around all day with the imprint of the laces on your forehead. Still have nightmares about those bloody footballs.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 08:11:40 »

Oh, and after that, it's personal choice.  You have to be dumb to box, in my opinion, but if you want to, knock yourself out, literally.
I think you have more success if you knock the other fella out actually!

On the main point......

The way that people get good at things is through practice. So might be difficult to limit in training. Also, if you limit with kids (lets just say below 18), you may well end up with players coming into the game incredibly gifted with their feet, but unable to head the ball. That could I suppose make the game evolve, although, the counter argument may be that it will force kids to be practicing headers in 'unsafe environments' away from clubs where there is medical support available.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 20, 2020, 08:15:46 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 09:11:35 »

Haven't read back but there was a good interview with Geoff Hurst the other day which made sense.  It is not the heading in the games that necessarily caused the dementia, more the daily training and repetitive drills.

Yes or No is too limited an answer to this question.

Should heading be banned in Childrens football (maybe upto the age of 12/14) possibly - that is the age where the brain is still developing significantly.
Should it be banned for Adult/Youth football - No.  They just need to get sensible about the heading drills that they do in training.

If they ban heading in football, then NFL, Rugby, Boxing needs to be banned altogether.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:11:18 »

Haven't read back but there was a good interview with Geoff Hurst the other day which made sense.  It is not the heading in the games that necessarily caused the dementia, more the daily training and repetitive drills.

Yes or No is too limited an answer to this question.

Should heading be banned in Childrens football (maybe upto the age of 12/14) possibly - that is the age where the brain is still developing significantly.
Should it be banned for Adult/Youth football - No.  They just need to get sensible about the heading drills that they do in training.

If they ban heading in football, then NFL, Rugby, Boxing needs to be banned altogether.
Rugby should be banned anyway, just because it's shit. On heading, a binary yes/no ban/no ban is too simplistic. As you say, there's a good argument for an age threshold for kids based on biological evidence of the development of both the brain and perhaps more importantly the skull both which are still undergoing major changes into teenage years. But then also thought needs to be given on what kind of restriction is needed. It's not the one-off impact that causes problems, it's the continued repetition of low-level impacts by repetitive drills in training. So maybe that is what could/should be restricted in children's football rather than heading in games. Up to about 13 or so, there really aren't that many headers in kids' games anyway, so less risk in games and less need to train for it.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:23:43 »

Dementia is quite prevalent, I don't understand how it can be tied back to playing football. We are all going to die of something, I'd rather live my life than be wrapped in cotton wool.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:28:50 »

Dementia is quite prevalent, I don't understand how it can be tied back to playing football. We are all going to die of something, I'd rather live my life than be wrapped in cotton wool.

Yeah those evenings of showers and sitting in massage chairs must be a massive adrenalin rush for you 4D!!

Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:39:37 »

Rugby should be banned anyway, just because it's shit.

It's not shit

Nothing to see here
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:58:16 »

Yeah those evenings of showers and sitting in massage chairs must be a massive adrenalin rush for you 4D!!

Smiley

That's after a day of grafting or base jumping Bobster  Wink
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:00:38 »

Rugby should be banned anyway, just because it's shit. On heading, a binary yes/no ban/no ban is too simplistic. As you say, there's a good argument for an age threshold for kids based on biological evidence of the development of both the brain and perhaps more importantly the skull both which are still undergoing major changes into teenage years. But then also thought needs to be given on what kind of restriction is needed. It's not the one-off impact that causes problems, it's the continued repetition of low-level impacts by repetitive drills in training. So maybe that is what could/should be restricted in children's football rather than heading in games. Up to about 13 or so, there really aren't that many headers in kids' games anyway, so less risk in games and less need to train for it.

Why didn't you just say "What he said" Cheesy

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:22:50 »

I heard a radio interview on this yesterday - I think it was Stephen Darby, there was certainly a reference to him -  apparently there is also a statistically significant increase in the numbers of young former footballers aged under 40 (relative to the population as a whole) who have been diagnosed with MND. They are concerned that this may also be linked to “head trauma“ arising from repeated heading. Apparently there is research ongoing into this.

A ban on heading, at least in children / youth games, will come before long.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:27:47 »

Dementia is quite prevalent, I don't understand how it can be tied back to playing football.
It is apparently 3.5 times more prevalent in ex-pros than in the general population. That is how it is tied back to playing football. That may not be due to heading the ball, there may be other factors at play which is why the PFA are funding further research into the topic.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:29:03 »

Why didn't you just say "What he said" Cheesy
Because I didn't think you made the distinction between training and playing, at least in kids' football which is where I'd see there is a concern. Apologies if you did, but it wasn't clear to me that you had.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:32:02 »

Generally I'd advocate the removal of heading in football. I think almost all of the science backs this up, and as mentioned it's the repetititve training that causes damage rather than the more occasional occurances during games.

I don't think it would drastically alter attacking play (headed goals aren't usually that great), but how would defenders deal with a goal kick and cross if they couldn't header it away? I guess it would be a battle of who could position themsevles better, jump, and control it with their chest.

Would be interested to see a pro game/decent standard game without headers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: