Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Bristol Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 39284 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:02:58 »

A bit from the Chippenham fans on Haines.

Some interesting comments about playing him as a target man!

Some decent news in a depressing week.
Would be fantastic to see “one of our own” for once doing well for us asits been such a long time since we had a young talent establishing himself in the first team.
Alan Mac told me a few seasons back that this was the player to watch out for !!
Chippenham fans really rave about "Hainer" so no time like the present to give him a go, in at the deep end could make or break him in a rough and tumble local derby, if hes good enough hes old enough.

I know that level is far lower than L1 but Darlington play at the same level and they beat us.
Panda Paws

« Reply #61 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:03:55 »

I like Broadbent, but it worries me that people see him as the answer to all of our defensive problems based on an hour in the JPT.  If he gets back to his first 10 games for us then it might work, but that was in league 2 and is a big ask for a guy that has effectively been out for a year.

I hope it works, but i am concerned that he will be the next knee jerk if it goes wrong.  In the space of a few weeks we have gone from Fyers and Grounds being our next big hope of saving our season to being complete duds - there is nothing to say that Broadbent won't deliver the same reaction.  Fryer has proved that if you have one really poor game you are dismissed as not good enough.

I don't think he's the answer as such, I just think we can't get worse. Plus his physicality and aerial ability is something we don't have in other CBs.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:08:37 »

Plus I imagine Broadbent feels he has a point to prove after Wellens basically
bombed him out
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:21:16 »

I like Broadbent, but it worries me that people see him as the answer to all of our defensive problems based on an hour in the JPT.  If he gets back to his first 10 games for us then it might work, but that was in league 2 and is a big ask for a guy that has effectively been out for a year.

I hope it works, but i am concerned that he will be the next knee jerk if it goes wrong.  In the space of a few weeks we have gone from Fyers and Grounds being our next big hope of saving our season to being complete duds - there is nothing to say that Broadbent won't deliver the same reaction.  Fryer has proved that if you have one really poor game you are dismissed as not good enough.

As I think you acknowledge, the belief that Broadbent will save the season singlehandedly is not held by everyone.

I thought that Grounds was a very good addition but he doesn't play like someone who has a lot of experience at a much higher level. He seems to want to play the ball out from the back but with limited success.

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #64 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:21:55 »

I like Broadbent, but it worries me that people see him as the answer to all of our defensive problems based on an hour in the JPT.  If he gets back to his first 10 games for us then it might work, but that was in league 2 and is a big ask for a guy that has effectively been out for a year.

I hope it works, but i am concerned that he will be the next knee jerk if it goes wrong.  In the space of a few weeks we have gone from Fyers and Grounds being our next big hope of saving our season to being complete duds - there is nothing to say that Broadbent won't deliver the same reaction.  Fryer has proved that if you have one really poor game you are dismissed as not good enough.
Very much.

I do think that a solid defender in L2 is about the same level as a solid defender in L1, and possibly the Championship too. Shaun Taylor, Aden Flint, Shaun Morrison, Rob Dickie at Pox and Charlie Goode at Northampton have proved that. Defending is what you are paid to do. Its about defending not being a classy footballer.

Stopping goals, making headers and tackles and getting in where it hurts at both ends of the pitch.

I know there is a trend to say that defenders should be able to pass and dribble and be great distributers of the ball but if you can't defend then you may as well not be there. Win the ball and make a short pass to a midfielder to do that pretty stuff.

Shaun Taylor with the greatest respect was not much of a footballer but man he could defend.

Broadbent is the closest defender we have in style to Taylor but 1 player cannot stop the rot on his own, we need the defence playing as a unit, a couple of clean sheets will do them the world of good but they look hugely unlikely at the moment even against the poorest attacks.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
REDBUCK

« Reply #65 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:22:20 »

Don't let it worry you as thankfully none of the hysterical  arm chair experts gets to pick the team for real also as no one's in the stadium players who perform badly can't get dogs abuse.

You can imagine how bad it would be for Kovar, Baudry, Grounds, Stevens all of whom have been described as poor footballers at one point or other on here

Haines would just be the next in line, who knows if he's any good. Hereford and Chippenham aren't much of a guide. Wasn't Twine performing well a Chippenham.

Broadbent falls into the same category, a good performance in one game makes him more attractive over those currenrly underperforming. If he turns out to be as inconsistent as he was in games he played last year back  he goes into the team selection tombola.

Just my opinion you understand.

Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:28:29 »

Don't let it worry you as thankfully none of the hysterical  arm chair experts gets to pick the team for real also as no one's in the stadium players who perform badly can't get dogs abuse.

You can imagine how bad it would be for Kovar, Baudry, Grounds, Stevens all of whom have been described as poor footballers at one point or other on here

Haines would just be the next in line, who knows if he's any good. Hereford and Chippenham aren't much of a guide. Wasn't Twine performing well a Chippenham.

Broadbent falls into the same category, a good performance in one game makes him more attractive over those currenrly underperforming. If he turns out to be as inconsistent as he was in games he played last year back  he goes into the team selection tombola.

Just my opinion you understand.

Isnt that what a football forum is about? peoples opinions even when they differ from yours?

Some people defend poor players, some suggest options some just have a moan and like to have a go at others opinions while not actually offering any opinion of their own other than just to disagree.

I think you will find its exactly the same at every club.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:30:35 »

Hereford and Chippenham aren't much of a guide. Wasn't Twine performing well a Chippenham.
Yes, and is now performing well in the team who are top of League 2.
REDBUCK

« Reply #68 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:04:36 »

Goal of the month to boot.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:36:51 »

Very much.

I do think that a solid defender in L2 is about the same level as a solid defender in L1, and possibly the Championship too. Shaun Taylor, Aden Flint, Shaun Morrison, Rob Dickie at Pox and Charlie Goode at Northampton have proved that. Defending is what you are paid to do. Its about defending not being a classy footballer.

Stopping goals, making headers and tackles and getting in where it hurts at both ends of the pitch.

I know there is a trend to say that defenders should be able to pass and dribble and be great distributers of the ball but if you can't defend then you may as well not be there. Win the ball and make a short pass to a midfielder to do that pretty stuff.

Shaun Taylor with the greatest respect was not much of a footballer but man he could defend.

Broadbent is the closest defender we have in style to Taylor but 1 player cannot stop the rot on his own, we need the defence playing as a unit, a couple of clean sheets will do them the world of good but they look hugely unlikely at the moment even against the poorest attacks.

I’m not sure that naming five players across 25 years, one of which (Dickie) is a ball playing centre half, really makes your point.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:37:18 »

Sheridan not doing the presser today due to personal reasons. Tommy Wright doing it instead
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:46:41 »

Joining Oldham
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #72 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:47:22 »

Their league for this season is DLLWWDWLDLL

Under the now sacked Ben Garner they always played 352 or 361 under Widdrington on Tuesday they played 532 and beat Chelsea 4-3 in the EFL cup. I would expect Tisdale to not interfere with their formation much for tomorrows game.

They sit 2 places above us with 2 more draws from their 11 games than we have got, we both have 3 wins. Our goal differences are the same on -8 but Town have scored 5 more goals but conceded 5 more goals.

We have similar current form over the last 5 games they are WLDLL and we are LWLDL.

In all games vs the Rovers there have been 150 meetings with the scores level at 65 wins each with 20 being drawn, we are behind on goals scored at 214 to Rovers 226.

In games at the CG against them we have the edge after 51 meetings Swindon have won 29, drawn 9 and lost 13, scoring 82 and conceding 64 times. Swindon have only won 2 of the last 4 meetings at home and Rovers winning 2 of them, they won the last meeting at the CG 2-1 in 2016 when Branco scored an OG late in the game.

The only player in the Swindon camp with a Rovers connection is Tom Broadbent and Steve Mildenhall is the staff member who played for them.

For Rovers they have ex Town loanee Ali Koiki who has made 3 appearances for them since signing on deadline day.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 13:58:57 »

Wright on Sheridan

: "We joined Leeds together, shared a house together and he is my best friend in football. He's a good coach." #stfc #efl

Wright on advice to Sheridan

: "I told him it was a good club and we can make things even better." #stfc #efl

Wright on goals conceded

:We've been letting in too many goals together. We all need to pull together because the goals we are conceding isn't acceptable. As individuals you have to take responsibility but we have to defend as a team better and need to get this right." #stfc

Wright on individual mistakes

: "I spoke to the team this morning, and heads are a bit down but that's not an excuse." #stfc #efl

Wright on Bristol match

: "I have a lot of respect for Tisdale. If I was a betting man this game won't be nil-nil. Hopefully we just score more goals than them. We want to be an attacking team and score goals." #stfc #efl

Wright on injuries

: "It will be virtually the same. Donohue will be back in the squad and we need to assess the team in the morning." #stfc #efl

Wright on Sheridan's tactics: "He can be a fiery manager when you need to be. He is similar to Richie and has a drive to win." #stfc #efl

Wright on Salford rumours

: "I'm happy here and definitely not leaving Swindon." #stfc #efl

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 14:06:32 »

Jayesimi got Covid-19

All other injured players self isolating
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: