Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Bristol Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 39656 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:09:48 »

I’d even go all Gareth Southgate and have Odimayo/Hunt as full backs and Caddis/Donohue as wingers if the availability was there
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:17:11 »

I also thought about beefing up centre-mid, but wouldn't want to blood a youngster into the current team for a derby game. I'd be concerned about the creativity in your centre three - that's why I suggested Odimayo had the ball-playing skill to move forward and also provides better cover for 2 CBs than Grant, who's not really doing a job either way right now.

Surely with no fans, the fact that its a derby game is a little irrelevant at the moment? He won't have to face the vitriol and abuse coming from supporters, so surely it would be the perfect time to blood him? (given we have almost zero other options in this position in reality)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #47 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:18:06 »

Why would a young CB be a better option than a young CM (Haines) in CM? Not sure I get that.

I'm desperate for us to go to either 343 or a more solid 433 with two holders. Either should give us more solidity. I'd be fine with Haines alongside Grant and Matt Smith ahead of them. Give it a go and then it's a straight swap when Lyden is fit.
Haines is a central defender too and DMC is not his natural position.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:26:05 »

A lot of people advocating playing people out of position to solve problems we have. I think they need to try that FGR approach again personally.

Kovar
           Baudry   Odimayo  Grounds
      Caddis    Grant      Smith      Hunt
           J Smith    Hope    Stevens   

Still two in midfield but having Hunt and Caddis around them helps reduce the space they need to cover. Can be very defensive when Caddis/Hunt make it a back 5 and Stevens/J Smith drop in to midfield.

Gives us the pace to attack, with M Smith having more than just the J Smith ball to play. Pace cutting in on their preferred foot to shoot themselves, Hunt and Caddis overlapping if we have enough of the ball.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #49 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:26:16 »

Having a read of the Rovers forum they must have been served up some dross this season so far, yes there could be a new manager bounce tomorrow but these comments came after Mondays Plymouth Pompey match.

Like watching two Premier teams compared to our ponderous play.

Both sides streets ahead of us.

Watched the whole game, very enjoyable. Both sides well ahead of us.

L1 must be one of the weakest for years

Both teams were far better on the ball and far less tippy tappy than us. Not only that they had pace and got up and down the pitch in a fraction of the time it takes us.
I thought Plymouth were really poor all over the pitch against us. Again defensive fuck ups cost us any points there.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:27:22 »

All info on Haines seems to indicate he’s both a defender and midfielder.

He’s also 20, which isn’t necessarily a youngster in footballing terms. Infact if we aren’t going to blood him now in a shit, injury ravaged team at age 20 - we never will and he might as well go to Supermarine now
Panda Paws

« Reply #51 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:31:29 »

Haines is a central defender too and DMC is not his natural position.

Really? I did not know that. Seems to have been played in CM out on loan and in his fleeting appearances here.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #52 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:32:23 »

For me I liked what I saw of Haines but I would like Odimayo and Caddis playing and Odimayo seems to have more about him and looks very comfortable on the ball.

Whoever plays though I want to have him stay back with Grant and just protect the defence and play a short ball to Matt Smith to do what he does best and start off attacks not relying on him for defensive duties.

I am sure that Shez has seen enough in training and been advised by Wright and Hunt as to his best option and we have to trust his judgement on players roles and positions as well as our current best formation.

Time for Sheridan to show us what he has got.

A proper massive game and lets hope the Rovers fans end up throwing their own chairs at the TC screen as its cheaper than the seats on the Stratton Bank.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #53 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:32:55 »

Really? I did not know that. Seems to have been played in CM out on loan and in his fleeting appearances here.
He played CB for Chippenham, Hereford played him in CM though.

Panda Paws

« Reply #54 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:33:30 »

A lot of people advocating playing people out of position to solve problems we have. I think they need to try that FGR approach again personally.

Kovar
           Baudry   Odimayo  Grounds
      Caddis    Grant      Smith      Hunt
           J Smith    Hope    Stevens  

Still two in midfield but having Hunt and Caddis around them helps reduce the space they need to cover. Can be very defensive when Caddis/Hunt make it a back 5 and Stevens/J Smith drop in to midfield.

Gives us the pace to attack, with M Smith having more than just the J Smith ball to play. Pace cutting in on their preferred foot to shoot themselves, Hunt and Caddis overlapping if we have enough of the ball.

If we change shape, I'd go with this but with Broadbent in instead of either Grounds or Baudry.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:39:36 »

Yep. Broadbent for Grounds and that side/shape may get us something out of the game.

I’ve got an iFollow ST but I’m struggling to want to watch the disasters unfold before my very eyes. May leave it to the TEF and Jeff Stelling.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #56 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:47:56 »

A bit from the Chippenham fans on Haines.

Some interesting comments about playing him as a target man!

Total game changer bringing Haines on as a target man and an excellent switch by the manager.

Haines has played up front for Swindon Youth, He’s clearly a versatile footballer and I’d be very surprised if he didn’t go on to have a good career professionally. 

Haines is easily our best centre back but hes also our best holding midfielder.

Luke Haines will surely be looking at getting back as Swindon Town's medical team do their thing in getting the first team players back to fitness. Maybe that could be an option as well. We need a centre half, we need a striker that will get among the goals and arguably he can fill both roles.

Hopefully we see Luke again in the blue and white or failing that his time with us is utilised to become a member of Swindon’s promotion push and he fulfils the potential in sure we can all agree he has. If it’s the latter, best of luck Luke, player of the year so far, let’s hope he comes back and finishes the job..

Definitely a shining light this year, thanks Luke all the best for your future. A very bright future from what we’ve seen this year

He will be a big loss to us. Luke is a winner and an outstanding player.  Not easy to replace strong quality players. I hope he gets a chance with Swindon first team. Certainly looked good enough to play at there level and do well.  He has been a star for us. I’ve never seen him have a bad game. Good luck for the future Luke

Sorry to see him recalled back to Swindon but you will go far young man. Our lost Swindon’s gain

Player of the season so far, in my opinion. Will be a huge loss. Always happy to stop for a chat, nicest lad around.

Chippenham fans really rave about "Hainer" so no time like the present to give him a go, in at the deep end could make or break him in a rough and tumble local derby, if hes good enough hes old enough.

I know that level is far lower than L1 but Darlington play at the same level and they beat us.

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:49:32 »

Its completely irrelevant, he's an employee of STFC and surely he would be up for the challenge of testing himself at League 1 level having started the season in L2 very well?

That may not be the case. He may be comfortable with the team/environment etc.  A solid season in league 2 may enhance his career prospects more than half a season in league 2 and half a season playing a very minor role on in league 1 (and in a struggling team).

Nothing to see here
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:58:34 »

I like Broadbent, but it worries me that people see him as the answer to all of our defensive problems based on an hour in the JPT.  If he gets back to his first 10 games for us then it might work, but that was in league 2 and is a big ask for a guy that has effectively been out for a year.

I hope it works, but i am concerned that he will be the next knee jerk if it goes wrong.  In the space of a few weeks we have gone from Fyers and Grounds being our next big hope of saving our season to being complete duds - there is nothing to say that Broadbent won't deliver the same reaction.  Fryer has proved that if you have one really poor game you are dismissed as not good enough.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:02:30 »

Fair words Bernie.

Its been the case that 'those who aren't playing will be the saviours' for a while.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: