Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Accrington  (Read 22421 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 13:41:31 »

My thought process last night was that you can't really fix the mental lack of focus easily on the training ground.  I still don't see that turning around bar an epiphany for individual players.  It's not because they are too high up the league ladder, the mistakes being made are so comical they belong on a school pitch.

So, what can we do.

First, I think you have to try and get safety in numbers - if someone fucks up in the middle, have another player there to bail them out.

Next, you have to have different players in there.

We can do the  first quickly - I'd go to 4-3-2-1

Kovar
Hunt  Baudry  Odimayo  Donohue
Smith Grant Haines
Smith Hope Payne

The added body in central midfield should support Grant in sitting in.  No thoughts of meandering away from position.  M Smith gets the license to go control the game, the other two act as bits and pieces in attack, focused on being in front of the back two.

Then you begin to add in any returnee's - T Smith for Hope, Lyden for Haines, Fryers for one of the two central defenders depending on whether Baudry has fixed his errors yet.

In January, assuming Kovar has still not developed the core skills of a keeper, send him back and get a new one in.

Pitman's lack of mobility is hurting us up top and we can't afford 4 attacking players.  J Smith can boss the right flank, Payne looked better to me out wide - he is a flair type of player like Isgrove and needs no responsibility of being in the middle.  He can cut a team apart but he also always play with attacking intent which means he loses the ball, a lot.
Rapidflyer

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 13:43:28 »

That team contains one central midfielder, would be beyond suicidal..........

Well it depends where the 2 sit which technically is a 451 or it could be a 4411 with Grant sitting behind the striker... and Hope & Smith offering support..
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 13:51:21 »

Well it depends where the 2 sit which technically is a 451 or it could be a 4411 with Grant sitting behind the striker... and Hope & Smith offering support..
No I mean literally there is only one central midfielder in that team. Other than M Smith there is no one remotely capable of helping out defensively so we'd be even more open to teams cutting right through us than we are now.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:43:16 »

See, this is what I mean. Up until last week Kovar and Baudry were cancer, now everyone wants to drop Fryer and Grounds for them. We don't get to see them in training, so I'm not sure how close fringe players like Broadbent are to inclusion, but on performance to date, I'd be tempted to go:

Fryer
Caddis - Broadbent - Grounds - Donohue
                      Odimayo
     J Smith - M Smith - Payne - Hunt
                        Hope

I'm afraid A Grant hasn't been contributing enough to merit his place. Push Odimayo into a defensive CM role to shore up the CBs and offer his strength playing out. Give Hunt free range to get forward and cross, where he's better than Stevens or J Grant.

And given that we can use five subs from Saturday onwards, we might actually start to see some gk replacements, so you might get your saviour Kovar back at half-time!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:44:52 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:55:40 »

See, this is what I mean. Up until last week Kovar and Baudry were cancer, now everyone wants to drop Fryer and Grounds for them. We don't get to see them in training, so I'm not sure how close fringe players like Broadbent are to inclusion, but on performance to date, I'd be tempted to go:

Fryer
Caddis - Broadbent - Grounds - Donohue
                      Odimayo
     J Smith - M Smith - Payne - Hunt
                        Hope

I'm afraid A Grant hasn't been contributing enough to merit his place. Push Odimayo into a defensive CM role to shore up the CBs and offer his strength playing out. Give Hunt free range to get forward and cross, where he's better than Stevens or J Grant.

And given that we can use five subs from Saturday onwards, we might actually start to see some gk replacements, so you might get your saviour Kovar back at half-time!
Saviour? he's the best of 2 awful choices as he has one redeeming feature, he can kick a ball. I fail to see a single redeeming feature with Fryer and if players can't pass the ball back to him you can't play him, he's cost us 3 goals in 2 league games.
If we have a midfield 3 A Grant would be fine, at the moment as I've said in the Rovers thread as good as M Smith is he does like to wander and leaves Grant with a lot of covering to do, put another body in there and it will make a massive difference.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:06:31 »

I’d rather my goal keeper could save shots than kick the ball
But I’m old school like that.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:10:58 »

I’d rather my goal keeper could save shots than kick the ball
But I’m old school like that.
Surely in any era being able to kick a moving ball is a basic requirement, pass backs have been in the game for 3 decades.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:25:46 »

Pass backs have been possible since football began, not picking up a pass back has been around for 3 decades.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:29:01 »

My thought process last night was that you can't really fix the mental lack of focus easily on the training ground.  I still don't see that turning around bar an epiphany for individual players.  It's not because they are too high up the league ladder, the mistakes being made are so comical they belong on a school pitch.

So, what can we do.

First, I think you have to try and get safety in numbers - if someone fucks up in the middle, have another player there to bail them out.

Next, you have to have different players in there.

We can do the  first quickly - I'd go to 4-3-2-1

Kovar
Hunt  Baudry  Odimayo  Donohue
Smith Grant Haines
Smith Hope Payne

The added body in central midfield should support Grant in sitting in.  No thoughts of meandering away from position.  M Smith gets the license to go control the game, the other two act as bits and pieces in attack, focused on being in front of the back two.

Then you begin to add in any returnee's - T Smith for Hope, Lyden for Haines, Fryers for one of the two central defenders depending on whether Baudry has fixed his errors yet.

In January, assuming Kovar has still not developed the core skills of a keeper, send him back and get a new one in.

Pitman's lack of mobility is hurting us up top and we can't afford 4 attacking players.  J Smith can boss the right flank, Payne looked better to me out wide - he is a flair type of player like Isgrove and needs no responsibility of being in the middle.  He can cut a team apart but he also always play with attacking intent which means he loses the ball, a lot.

This makes way too much sense for this forum - i like it and you have articulated it much better than I would have been able to,

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:34:54 »

Surely in any era being able to kick a moving ball is a basic requirement, pass backs have been in the game for 3 decades.

You've made this point. Amply. Rare to find myself in agreement with DV, but Fryer has looked a more solid all-round keeper than Kovar, who looks what he is - a slip of a lad from U21 football struggling against grown men.

His kicking may be a bit off - I wouldn't say it's anything like as catastrophic as you keep insisting - but he hasn't had many games for a couple of years, and was previously rated as a League keeper, so I'm going to presume there's more to come from him, whereas Kovar only has potential.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:43:41 »

Obviously it would be a major issue if, as you describe he can’t actually kick a football.
I’ve made the assumption that he can actually kick a football, maybe just not particularly calmly or accurately - which again, it’s a moot and secondary point to ‘can he make saves’

I’m old school in my football beliefs and I accept that but this recent trend that keepers have to be excellent with their feet to me is just another step on the total football wankfest that is currently in vogue.

The better keeper is always the one that makes more / the better saves - even if every kick is like an NFL punt that gets returns to the opposition.
Rather that than a keeper with accurate passing who can’t save a shot.

Sadly for us, seems both our keepers are neither.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #431 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:59:33 »

Obviously it would be a major issue if, as you describe he can’t actually kick a football.
I’ve made the assumption that he can actually kick a football, maybe just not particularly calmly or accurately - which again, it’s a moot and secondary point to ‘can he make saves’

I’m old school in my football beliefs and I accept that but this recent trend that keepers have to be excellent with their feet to me is just another step on the total football wankfest that is currently in vogue.

The better keeper is always the one that makes more / the better saves - even if every kick is like an NFL punt that gets returns to the opposition.

Spot on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 16:31:01 »

But he's also cost us 2 further goals from non kicking related goals so the rest of his keeping isn't up to it either. Like I say I see no redeeming features with Fryer and in my opinion Kovar is the lesser of 2 evils but each to their own opinion wise.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 16:40:06 »

But he's also cost us 2 further goals from non kicking related goals so the rest of his keeping isn't up to it either. Like I say I see no redeeming features with Fryer and in my opinion Kovar is the lesser of 2 evils but each to their own opinion wise.

If the club haven’t been ringing every free agent goal keeper today, then they want shooting.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 16:46:45 »

If the club haven’t been ringing every free agent goal keeper today, then they want shooting.
Now that I do agree with, signing Fryer looks like absolute panic and went against what they said they were looking for at the time, an experienced number 2.......which is exactly what we need now, a bit of experience to call upon!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: