Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 13411 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:04:30 »

Liverpool have a lot of injured players too. Klopp got lucky last year, their physios and coaches are now to blame.

Klopp has been slowly building that team for 5 years.

Wellens built a very good team. Had to do a complete rebuild and did it badly.
Not sure what your point was.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:37:21 »

And not sure how you can say that Klopp got lucky last year either.  GK injured for the first 3rd of the season, constant injuries in midfield including one ACL for the season.

Of course there is a difference to our scanrio as they have a bigger squad and quality but to say that Klopp got lucky is a bit of a bizare statement - even the biggest anti Liverpool fan will find it hard not to at least doff their cap.

I didn't hear people saying that pep got lucky we had the great Barcelona team a few years ago.

If you had a point, i,  like DV missed it 

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:48:53 »

I think Michael was being sarcastic to highlight the point that he doesn't think Klopp building a good team is "lucky".

DV make a reasonable counter though. Klopp spotted what was needed and built it over time. Wellens threw it together and it stuck first time. Then couldn't repeat it.

Personally, I don't think Wellens was lucky. I think he needed money that wasn't there this season. But he also gambled on a few and it didn't work out. Well not yet. Such is life.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:52:58 by Batch » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:49:48 »

And not sure how you can say that Klopp got lucky last year either.  GK injured for the first 3rd of the season, constant injuries in midfield including one ACL for the season.

Of course there is a difference to our scanrio as they have a bigger squad and quality but to say that Klopp got lucky is a bit of a bizare statement - even the biggest anti Liverpool fan will find it hard not to at least doff their cap.

I didn't hear people saying that pep got lucky we had the great Barcelona team a few years ago.

If you had a point, i,  like DV missed it  

I’ve assume the Klopp got lucky point was a sarcastic retort to the notion Wellens got lucky with last season recruitment.

Of course how Liverpool build their team (a few big signings every season for 5 years) to how L1/L2 clubs build their team (Around 80% turn over every season) is worlds apart.

At Swindon Wellens built one very good team and one that as of now looks very poor. At best the jury is still out on whether Wellens got lucky with last season recruitment or not.
Plenty of lower league managers go from the dog bollocks to out of a job from one season to the next. Based on how well they rebuild in the summer. Just for us alone Danny Wilson and Mark Cooper demonstrate that point.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:51:26 by DV Canio » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 16:43:01 »

With the talk of physios just compare this (which is only a league above our level) with what I imagine our rather ramshackle set up is.

(apologies for the rather Fast Showesque delivery!!)

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 16:45:15 »

I just don't think that we could afford to take the same gamble given the finances this season, but Wellens seemed to carry on regardless.  Last time the standard of player was higher as well, (relative to our league) again due to finances.  I think we needed to be more pragmatic this time around and get experienced reliable L1 plodders to an extent.  To be fair, that is with hindsight to an extent, I don't remember being as disappointed as it was being constructed - Kovar was a tricky one because we were publicly sold a Benda type player and got a young Peter Crouch but trying to play in goal.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 17:09:35 »

The physio getting pelters now, is anyone at the club safe from our idiots 

What’s Dick Mackey up to these days - he’s a man who’d miraculously turn injury prone players in to 50 game a season men....
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 17:14:40 »

The physio getting pelters now, is anyone at the club safe from our idiots 

What’s Dick Mackey up to these days - he’s a man who’d miraculously turn injury prone players in to 50 game a season men....
When is Jason Roberts signing?
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 17:16:51 »

Even at 42 and 6 years retired I expect he’d be an upgrade on Pitman...
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 19:10:25 »

The physio is more the fixer when something goes wrong and trying to understand the cause of a problem and address those.

The club will also have a fitness/strength and conditioning coach as well who would supervise that aspect of training. 

There are so many factors with injuries like a players past injury history, what was their off and pre season like and then playing Saturday Tuesday most weeks. What risks are taken with players carrying niggles?

If you look at Donahue as an example, he did pre-season but was signed late having not played competitively since last November. Hey presto, picks up an injury a few games later.

The injuries will improve but it will take time and those players will need to be eased back and will need to find form.  Look how long it took Conroy to regain both fitness and form after his initial knee surgery recovery. There is no magic overnight cure.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 19:54:50 »

I reckon buying injury prone players may have impacted our injury count

hth
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 06:45:22 »

I was quite surprised to read Sheridan's comments about Broadbent here:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindon_town_2014/

Am I reading too much into this? I would have thought a manager would know the status of his players fitness. Does the fact that he doesn't indicate a problem? Is it code for there being problems between Broadbent and the management team? Is this a continuation of problems that seem to have surrounded Broadbent throughout his time at the club?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
REDBUCK

« Reply #57 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 07:17:11 »

Sheridan strikes me as a no nonsence bloke, you are probably either available for selection or not from week to week.

The more finer detail is down to the physio and between him and the player.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 10:30:59 »

I was quite surprised to read Sheridan's comments about Broadbent here:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindon_town_2014/

Am I reading too much into this? I would have thought a manager would know the status of his players fitness. Does the fact that he doesn't indicate a problem? Is it code for there being problems between Broadbent and the management team? Is this a continuation of problems that seem to have surrounded Broadbent throughout his time at the club?

I thought that - i doubt it is a coincidence that Wellens said similar things about him.  The telling line was "I would have expected Tom would have been back 2 weeks ago".  Maybe he is just one of those players that doesn't feel ready until he is completely pain free, if so then i fear for his long term future in professional football - players are never 100% fit and pain free

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 10:39:19 »

Maybe he is just one of those players that doesn't feel ready until he is completely pain free, if so then i fear for his long term future in professional football - players are never 100% fit and pain free

Would seem especially odd when you consider his background.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: