Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The defence  (Read 3749 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 22:56:23 »

Any solutions? The main issues seem to be individual mistakes. are these the type of things that should should stop?

Caddis/hunt,
Conroy/broadbent, Odimayo/ grounds,
Donohue/Iandolo

For me that should be plenty solid. i wonder how much impact the wobbly-ish keeper is having on the back 4.

This season is going to be a huge struggle going into every game with a minimum goal against before ko.

A new manager may want to bring in new players but before the season i think everyone would be happy with the options we had and i think it can still work. kovac might be a different scenario though and whilst many goals were not his fault he still makes enough small mistakes to make the back 4 unsettled.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 23:03:46 »

The solution is getting Zeki Fryers and Dion Conroy fit, and quickly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 23:05:06 »

I get mistakes happen.

But they keep happening.

is our midfield providing enough protection? or are they just playing shit?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 23:11:54 »

First we need our best defenders actually on the pitch together.
Then try and do that every game.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 23:30:53 »

Perhaps the 4-2-3-1 is leaving the defence a bit isolated?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 23:31:04 »

do we have any dates for these guys as our season could really turn quite quickly. i have been worried about goal scoring but we do seem to create especially with the likes of jonny smith. i doubt we will have striker in double figures this season but we have shown we can score from a few sources.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 23:50:49 »

First we need our best defenders actually on the pitch together.
Then try and do that every game.

Steady on...!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 00:04:01 »

I think we’ll end up 3-5-2 with wingbacks again at some point... Odimayo, Grounds & Fryers or something like that to get some extra security down the middle as some times players are able to walk through the centre of our defence. We obviously got to the play off final in this league playing that formation so know it can work.

That said a lot of the goals we concede are just absolute fuck ups that systems and formations have no relevance to like the 3rd Plymouth goal tonight.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 01:41:25 »

Doesn’t matter what formation is played, the problem is individual mistakes which would still be made.

Cant for the life of me remember the last time we had a competent defence.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 07:15:06 »

Doesn’t matter what formation is played, the problem is individual mistakes which would still be made.

Cant for the life of me remember the last time we had a competent defence.

Under Di Canio, naturally
Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 07:17:15 »

Training.

Professional footballers don't make mistakes like the ones we're seeing, or at least they shouldn't be. Grounds has a ton of experience at a higher level. It's not a problem with ability.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 09:19:12 »

Breaking last nights goals down:

1. Goalkeeper error: Too slow to come out and punch. Or stay on your line and save the header.

2. Grounds and Donahue fannying around with it on the left with Plymouth players swarming around them. If in doubt, kick it out! (Don't chest it down, play a slow short pass thats intercepted and let the winger rock by you)

3. Grounds trying to be too cute. Takes too long on the ball. Gifts the light challenge.

4. Worldy.

Bottom line is they take too many chances at the back. Its the style of play. If you dwell on the ball when teams are pressing you quickly, the law of averages states that you will eventually make a mistake. Many of Baudry's mistakes are down to this, but he has the added bonus of tuning out every now and again and getting caught out of position and ball watching. Grounds mistakes yesterday were because he dwelt on the ball.

Its not helped by having a dodgy keeper.  He's good with the ball at his feet and can pick a pass. Last night he made more saves than I've seen all season - A significant improvement. But, his positioning is still off, his judgement and speed off the line is random. I dont have a lot of confidence in him and I assume the defence don't either.

Do we have anything better? I don't know.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 09:36:16 »

Clearly we need to sign Sid Nelson and Jamie Sendles-White to sort out this mess!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 09:45:13 »

The back four and keeper need to make fewer individual errors, but I think generally the midfield 2-3 aren’t good enough at offering protection to those behind them

Things get better but they never get good
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 12:18:15 »

Fryers almost fit and Conroy now running.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: