Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Plymouth Argyle v Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 14620 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 07:55:41 »

Yes, he is gutted for letting the team & fans down.
Hasn't done either to date so he's got enough credit in the bank to get a pass on this esp given the ref. Still one of our most exciting players, will be missed for the ban
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 08:52:19 »

Hasn't done either to date so he's got enough credit in the bank to get a pass on this esp given the ref. Still one of our most exciting players, will be missed for the ban
Well, he obviously did. Much as the same as any player who gets sent off leaving his team mates under the kosh.

Dissecting the two yellow cards:

- The first was a pointless man handling. Couldn't seen any advantage of fouling him there as we had plenty of cover. It didn't help the team at all. It was so blatant, the ref (who was very card happy) had no choice.
- The second is just stupidity. Don't wind up a little man with the power to hurt you. What was the reported comment likely to achieve? It was petulant and ill judged.

The worst thing about it is that he was the best player on the park at the time. He was causing Plymouth no end of trouble and creating space for others as they were trying desperately to stop him influencing the game.

Fact of the matter is that at 11 vs 11 we could have got something out of the game. At 11 vs 10 and a goal down, we were unlikely to succeed, and didn't have anyone who could influence the game in our favour. The fourth only came because everyone was dead on their feet.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 09:45:15 »

After Hopes goal last night, I make that 10 different goalscorers already after just 9 league games. Crazy stat!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 10:27:25 »

Well, he obviously did. Much as the same as any player who gets sent off leaving his team mates under the kosh.

Dissecting the two yellow cards:

- The first was a pointless man handling. Couldn't seen any advantage of fouling him there as we had plenty of cover. It didn't help the team at all. It was so blatant, the ref (who was very card happy) had no choice.
- The second is just stupidity. Don't wind up a little man with the power to hurt you. What was the reported comment likely to achieve? It was petulant and ill judged.

The worst thing about it is that he was the best player on the park at the time. He was causing Plymouth no end of trouble and creating space for others as they were trying desperately to stop him influencing the game.

Fact of the matter is that at 11 vs 11 we could have got something out of the game. At 11 vs 10 and a goal down, we were unlikely to succeed, and didn't have anyone who could influence the game in our favour. The fourth only came because everyone was dead on their feet.

Spot on and agree.
Second half was keeping it tight and feeding off any scraps. If Fatty Arbuckle could have taken that ball down, you never know but it was an uphill battle with the odds stacked against us.
Decent 4th goal and the only non mistake all night.
Get a few core players back and it’s not all gloom and doom. Cut this shit defending out and we are more than capable of moving up the league.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 10:31:05 »

Yes, first EVER time in his WHOLE football career that he has ever been sent off.... says enough ...

It happens Mate. Starting to look a cracking player thus unfortunate. These lower league Refs are like robots, you simply can’t communicate with them and he will learn from that.
Saving grace 2 yellows and not a straight red.
Onwards and Upwards.
Panda Paws

« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 10:42:22 »

Only misses the cup game, and would have been rotated anyway I'd imagine.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 10:45:19 »

Yes, I was talking about prior to that (tbf, I perhaps should have said "hadn't" rather than "hasn't" to make it clearer). He's been a good player for us to date, last night was an anomaly.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:08:06 by pauld » Logged
Rapidflyer

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:23:46 »

He is settling in well now and match fitness (as he never played for 5 months) is just about getting there now. I can say he is an honest player, and he wont repeat last nights mental frig up, as obviously he has to answer to me  Yes Totally out of character to players that know him, and I think his comment was the straw that broke the camels back as other players were giving the pompous ref stick. (As another poster said above - little man sysndrome with a whistle is even worse)

I reffed in Liverpool (Sunday League) for 20 years and coached a U7 team right through losing 9 players to league clubs, and if I had sent off a player every time he told me to FO it would have been thousands of reds !!! Sometimes its a "next time and your off" warning that in 99% of cases works.

I did say to him when he was on the coach coming home that I 100% thought he would have scored in the second half and he agreed completely, which is no comfort for the workload which the lads put in 2nd half, and as others have said with a full team I totally believe we would have won.

On a final note he is eager to repay the faith shown in him....  Clap coiled spring jumps to mind....

Flashheart

« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:27:15 »

He is settling in well now and match fitness (as he never played for 5 months) is just about getting there now. I can say he is an honest player, and he wont repeat last nights mental frig up, as obviously he has to answer to me  Yes Totally out of character to players that know him, and I think his comment was the straw that broke the camels back as other players were giving the pompous ref stick. (As another poster said above - little man sysndrome with a whistle is even worse)

I reffed in Liverpool (Sunday League) for 20 years and coached a U7 team right through losing 9 players to league clubs, and if I had sent off a player every time he told me to FO it would have been thousands of reds !!! Sometimes its a "next time and your off" warning that in 99% of cases works.

I did say to him when he was on the coach coming home that I 100% thought he would have scored in the second half and he agreed completely, which is no comfort for the workload which the lads put in 2nd half, and as others have said with a full team I totally believe we would have won.

On a final note he is eager to repay the faith shown in him....  Clap coiled spring jumps to mind....

Any insights into the managerial kerfuffle?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:49:13 »

What was Pitman's injury?  He looks like he can barely walk, let alone run.

Calf

In a bread roll, would explain his lack of mobility?
Rapidflyer

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:56:13 »

Any insights into the managerial kerfuffle?

Nothing of note ..... Hmmm
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 12:01:59 »

Back from a few days away in Looe, watched the game last night though.

Kovar is not good enough for the 1st team, he is a liability, yes he made a decent save but too many times he is caught way out of position. I think after 10 1st team games thats long enough to say hes not ready "yet" for the first team, sorry to all those who love him. Hes not good enough, he on his own have cost us several goals already.

I can't be fucked to check them out but I think at least 6 goals conceded can be attributed to his errors or positioning issues, not to mention the dozen times he COULD have conceded but got away with it, like his rush of blood coming out for a ball last night 35 yards out of goal and then missing the ball.

He had no chance with the 4th though.

Jonny Smith should have kept his mouth shut, we all know it looked like a foul so get your head down and get on with the game, he was terrorising a poor Plymouth defence all the time he was on the pitch and with him playing the whole game I feel we may have won. He will learn from his speaking like that to the ref, just don't do it again you were a game winner for us.

Grounds had a 1st half he would like to forget, he has always got a couple of mistakes in him but yesterday they were all punished.

1st half we defended really poorly but still managed to pass the ball well and create things, 2nd half we were the better side IMO but created few decent chances with only 10 players on the pitch with Matt Smith running things in the middle.

Plymouth looked pretty poor but they still punished our mistakes.

A special mention the the ref who had a fucking stinker of a game....well for us, gave everything to Plymouth and nothing to us.

Thanks NMH. Looks like Hunt isn't going with Wellens then.
Warren Joyce set to be named as Wellens assistant.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 12:15:31 »

Our luck will turn.
Sunderland getting the rub of the green currently with every decision going their way and the fans are aware it it. Just not going for us right now and I guess more frustrating after that decent win Saturday.

We have some quality, we have some quality to come back.
I’m sure the pain of last night will be long gone come this weekend and a rare appearance in around Two will lift our spirits.
Were are all tough on our kids, one of life’s passed down coaching courses Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: