Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Edible?  (Read 1572 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 08:48:27 »

One for country types like Reg. About 12cm diameter. In Burgundy.

To sauté or not to sauté?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:00:21 »

Heard a discussion on the radio recently that French pharmacists are trained in fungi taxonomy and can provide an identification service.  See the penultimate paragraph of this article:

http://www.doctorsreview.com/features/france-pharmacist-rules/
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:03:47 »

Is it really worth the hassle/risk?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:13:22 »

Is it really worth the hassle/risk?

I'm not going to waste a tasty morsel like that if it's as good as it looks. Along with a few of your avatars and a nice glass or two of Côte de Beaune.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:15:05 »

Heard a discussion on the radio recently that French pharmacists are trained in fungi taxonomy and can provide an identification service.  See the penultimate paragraph of this article:

http://www.doctorsreview.com/features/france-pharmacist-rules/

Thanks for the tip - I'll ask when I drop into town later today.

Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:16:01 »

Been nice knowing you, RF!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:18:08 »

just because you live in France doesn't mean you have to eat everything you find in the garden RF
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:23:36 »

Whats the worst that can happen??? Smiley

When we were on the Isle of Wight a few years back at this time of year (my wedding anniversary week) we were staying in the wilds of the IOW and were driving to Cowes for tea and on the side of the road there was the biggest fungi/mushroom I have ever seen!

It was probably 3 foot accross and 2 foot high and very similar form and colour to that one you found.

We drove back about an hour later only for it to have been knabbed and removed.

In all honesty....avoid it, its just not worth the risk.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:26:31 »

50/50 dead or delicious - no inbetween.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:39:12 »

I don't even think it's a mushroom, someone has just dropped a white beret.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 10:01:11 »

just because you live in France doesn't mean you have to eat everything you find in the garden RF

We're fresh out of hedgehogs and the kids have to fed somehow. French

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 10:13:03 »

what a horrible thread. Mushrooms are vile!

Yes yes, I am not a fungi, etc etc

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 10:28:13 »

I thought this was going to be about the edibles that the yanks are always going on about. Disappointed doesn't begin to cover it.

Get yerself down Carrefour if you want a mushroom for your tea.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 31, 2020, 00:37:15 »

Not necessarily dead or delicious but I get the sentiment Jayo. In fact many studies in Mycology show the many benefits to treatments for humans. Especially in helping to remove fear in many cancer patients (the fear of death) as well as a huge reduction in anxiety via guided trips.

We're not talking about going into the woods with your mates and taking some unknown magical tea concoction. This is thoroughly researched stuff. More of the problem is, is that big pharma can't really make money out of Mushrooms. So in turn governments aren't interested.

I've been having several conversations and discussions recently with people in this field. In know RF isn't necessarily looking for a guided trip taking Psilocybe Azurescens but the misconception that many unknown (or known) Funghi will kill us is more myth. Indeed, some will and that's important but the deal isn't as clean cut as 50/50. More likely many of these will be beneficial to the human psyche.

Don't listen to me though, I know fuck all but it's worth taking a literal peep down the rabbit warren into some of the writings by Michael Pollan and also Paul Stamets. Pollan took his first guided trip (I believe) when he was in his 60s. You read that right, not in the 1960s but in his 60s. His reasoning was that if he were to write about the subject, he should experience it. Incredibly honourable for a journo.

This article goes into a little detail about Pollan & Stamets hunting for "Azzies"  https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/06/what-its-like-to-trip-on-the-most-potent-magic-mushroom/561860/ but you can find more about some of Pollan's live lectures on youtube, especially regarding his first "experience". Certainly eye opening and he isn't all pro shroom; he talks about his doubts, why he was doing it, should he be doing it, along with all the fears of the unknown and much more. It's a really interesting listen/watch.

As for the ID, no idea but I'm sure Stamets would know. I can also ask a friend who is much more clued up on field funghi than I  and I trust his judgement hugely, especially when it comes to a purely eating/cooking inquiry.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 31, 2020, 05:54:34 »

I recall that Jim Robinson and Doug Willis had a less than positive experience on the 'mushys'.  That put me off trying more exotic fungi.

Nothing to see here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: