Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxford v Swindon pre match  (Read 37571 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:55:39 »

Yes it is. That's precisely why everyone (or nearly everyone) needs to have it to properly control the virus and allow us to get back to some kind of normal. If only a small %age of the population is vaccinated, then everyone else has to carry on with the measures we have now

Well no. If you vaccinate a (yet to be known) % of the population, the r rate will go below one and the virus will disappear over time.

Also, even if you only vaccinate those most at risk of dying from it, you can lift restrictions knowing the risk to the rest of the population is negligible.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:22:10 by Panda Paws » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:03:58 »

How many people will need it is debatable , but not everyone.  The r rate can't go below zero (I know you meant 1,).

There's a slightly out of date opinion here

https://www.ft.com/content/d2e00128-7889-4d5d-84a3-43e51355a751

I guess they need to know more about how how long a vaccine will last and how effective it is at preventing the disease - then calculate who gets it in order to suppress it sufficiently.

it's probably going to keep rearing like flu, isn't it?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:16:15 »

Well no. If you vaccinate a (yet to be known) % of the population, the r rate will go below zero and the virus will disappear over time.
Erm, yes, that's what I said. The yet to be known % of the population seems to be reckoned by most scientists as being likely to be between 60-80%. It's over 90% for measles and whooping cough, by comparison. The stats are in the link I posted.

https://theconversation.com/what-is-herd-immunity-and-how-many-people-need-to-be-vaccinated-to-protect-a-community-116355
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:18:15 by pauld » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #348 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:21:49 »

Yes it is. That's precisely why everyone (or nearly everyone) needs to have it to properly control the virus and allow us to get back to some kind of normal.

I must have misinterpreted this.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:26:58 »

I must have misinterpreted this.
Not sure what you're struggling with here. 60-80% vaccinated is generally reckoned to be likely to be the level required to achieve herd immunity. It may (cf measles) be as high as 90%. Once you take out people who can't be vaccinated or refuse to be etc, that means pretty much most of everyone else will need to be. This is how mass vaccination works.
Panda Paws

« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 15:14:49 »

Not sure what you're struggling with here. 60-80% vaccinated is generally reckoned to be likely to be the level required to achieve herd immunity. It may (cf measles) be as high as 90%. Once you take out people who can't be vaccinated or refuse to be etc, that means pretty much most of everyone else will need to be. This is how mass vaccination works.

Not struggling with anything. I think we agree, but I misunderstood you when you said everyone needs to be vaccinated before we can get back to anything approaching normal.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 15:15:28 »

And as it stands many in the NHS are more concerned about the logistics of doing such a large vax programme ASAP than actually getting the vax in the first place, they are already struggling with the promises made re flu jabs this year!  
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 15:28:20 »

Not struggling with anything. I think we agree, but I misunderstood you when you said everyone needs to be vaccinated before we can get back to anything approaching normal.
I think we do and TBF I don't think I was very clear, my apologies There's two objectives - short-term to protect the most vulnerable (e.g. the elderly) and at risk (key workers, esp in the health and care sectors), which doesn't require the majority to be vaccinated and is likely to be all we can do with the first lot of vaccines that are available (which I think was what Tails was talking about); and medium-long term suppressing the virus which is likely to require mass vaccination.
Flashheart

« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 17:06:57 »

Another case confirmed at STFC
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 17:12:16 »

Another case confirmed at STFC

Where did you hear that
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 17:12:32 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18826165.another-coronavirus-case-swindon-town-football-club/
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 17:13:58 »

Jewell?
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 19:02:48 »

More likely to be the kit man or physio than Jewell surely?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 19:05:50 »

I guess it's the user of "management staff" that makes the kit man unlikely.

I thought the physio already had the Rhona...

wait. it's power, clearly!

edit: kit man listed under management. I stand corrected
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 19:06:36 »

That would be the dogs bo*locks if that happened!

Bryan Robson when he was in the seat at Middlesbrough...refused to play a game and they got docked points.

No man is bigger than the club but some believe they are bigger than the entire League!

Didnt end well...

By Christmas, Middlesbrough were deep in relegation trouble, despite Ravanelli proving himself as one of the league's top goalscorers. Added to this, Middlesbrough were faced with the wrath of the Football Association for postponing a fixture against Blackburn Rovers at short notice. The club's officials insisted that manager Bryan Robson had been unable to field a team due to a severe injury and illness crisis among his players, but this did not prevent the Football Association from docking the club 3 points.

Middlesbrough managed to put together a good run of results and look like decent bets for survival, but the Football Association's refusal to restore Middlesbrough's 3 points counted against them and a 1-1 draw at Leeds United on the final day of the season, when they needed a win, resulted in relegation that would have been avoided (at the expense of Coventry City) if the points had not been deducted.

Probably best to have played it and lost 9 zip, but Bryan knew best.....

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: