Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxford v Swindon pre match  (Read 38348 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #285 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:58:42 »

I started going to Town games in the early mid 70's and back then games against City and Rovers and even Reading had more of a local derby bite about them. There was always trouble at games between all the 4 local sides but it always seemed less at the Oxford matches than the others.

I was brought up by my dads dislike of City and Rovers because Oxford had only been in the league for just over 10 years when I started going to games so it was almost a manufactured new derby whereas we had been playing Reading, Rovers and City for over 60 years at that point, it was far more of a historical rivalry with them.

Then during the 80's they had a lucky run and got to the top division meaning we didn't play them for several year lessening any intensity, but we were still playing the other 3 regularly, at least 1 every season often all 3.

But in the 90s we started to play Oxford more often again and they hardly ever seemed to beat us, we only had 4 defeats in the 21 games from 82 to 99 and all of those coming at the Manor. Its obviously changed a lot since then though with almost the opposite having happened in the last 8 games.

I think I enjoy the rivalry with Rovers and City more because I personally know a lot more  of their supporters, having only 1 mate who is an Oxford fan but 20+ of the other 2 clubs, with pretty much zero for Reading barring my mates wife.

I have always thought the intense rivalry comes far more from their end, much like Gillingham in the 70s and 80s. Yes I disklike them, even bordering on hatrid at times, but thats more to do with their huge propertion of idiotic fans who only come to cause trouble and have no interest in the result. The same applies equally to City, Rovers and Reading fans, although I would relegate Reading to lower in the hate list than Bournemouth for me now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:59:30 »

I’d also much rather that, although I haven’t been to Ashton Gate since they’ve redeveloped it so wonder if any of the ‘character’ the ground had, has been substituted for aesthetics. Either way, usually very enjoyable trips.

Same here and haven't been there since the redevelopment but have to say it looks impressive and just a little envious!

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:09:48 »

I started going to Town games in the early mid 70's and back then games against City and Rovers and even Reading had more of a local derby bite about them. There was always trouble at games between all the 4 local sides but it always seemed less at the Oxford matches than the others.

I was brought up by my dads dislike of City and Rovers because Oxford had only been in the league for just over 10 years when I started going to games so it was almost a manufactured new derby whereas we had been playing Reading, Rovers and City for over 60 years at that point, it was far more of a historical rivalry with them.

Then during the 80's they had a lucky run and got to the top division meaning we didn't play them for several year lessening any intensity, but we were still playing the other 3 regularly, at least 1 every season often all 3.

But in the 90s we started to play Oxford more often again and they hardly ever seemed to beat us, we only had 4 defeats in the 21 games from 82 to 99 and all of those coming at the Manor. Its obviously changed a lot since then though with almost the opposite having happened in the last 8 games.

I think I enjoy the rivalry with Rovers and City more because I personally know a lot more  of their supporters, having only 1 mate who is an Oxford fan but 20+ of the other 2 clubs, with pretty much zero for Reading barring my mates wife.

I have always thought the intense rivalry comes far more from their end, much like Gillingham in the 70s and 80s. Yes I disklike them, even bordering on hatrid at times, but thats more to do with their huge propertion of idiotic fans who only come to cause trouble and have no interest in the result. The same applies equally to City, Rovers and Reading fans, although I would relegate Reading to lower in the hate list than Bournemouth for me now.

Good post Pete and pretty much how I see things having started going in 1973 so got to witness many Derby matches.
I never really saw Reading cause trouble down here but it always kicked off at Elm Park and a little at the Madeski but playing either of the Bristol clubs and Oxford was guaranteed to be mayhem in and around the stadium. Gillingham wasnt on such a big scale mainly due to the distance between the clubs but for a few years it was quite hostile. Another couple of teams who always caused lots of trouble were Pompey & Cardiff but in those days football violence was a disease so it happened at most grounds

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #288 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:16:35 »

Good post Pete and pretty much how I see things having started going in 1973 so got to witness many Derby matches.
I never really saw Reading cause trouble down here but it always kicked off at Elm Park and a little at the Madeski but playing either of the Bristol clubs and Oxford was guaranteed to be mayhem in and around the stadium. Gillingham wasnt on such a big scale mainly due to the distance between the clubs but for a few years it was quite hostile. Another couple of teams who always caused lots of trouble were Pompey & Cardiff but in those days football violence was a disease so it happened at most grounds
Absolutely.

Swansea, Pompey and Cardiff were always awful games for trouble.

And as you rightly say Reading never travelled to games in any number (and still don't) but at Elm Park specifically there was always awful trouble.

My (14 year old) mate was stabbed in the back during the game in 1980 he was one of about 5 Town fans stabbed that day in awful trouble, but that never really came to the CG, we always took a few thousand there but they never brought more than 400 or 500 to us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:21:21 »

Absolutely.

Swansea, Pompey and Cardiff were always awful games for trouble.

And as you rightly say Reading never travelled to games in any number (and still don't) but at Elm Park specifically there was always awful trouble.

My (14 year old) mate was stabbed in the back during the game in 1980 he was one of about 5 Town fans stabbed that day in awful trouble, but that never really came to the CG, we always took a few thousand there but they never brought more than 400 or 500 to us.

Scary times in those days and at times you feared for your life if you were an away fan outside the grounds and no doubts many posters on here would have stories to tell

So, give no fucks
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:34:48 »

It was a cracker, if wet.

The draw for the first round proper is on Monday evening. I want away to Cray Valley Paper Mills.

A plea to Chairperson of the Highworth Chapparall, Big John Power: please put some resources & emphasis on a cup run this season. This might tempt you....

First Round Proper winners   (40)   £22,629
Second Round Proper winners   (20)   £34,000
Third Round Proper winners   (32)   £82,000
Fourth Round Proper winners   (16)   £90,000
Fifth Round Proper winners   (Cool   £180,000
Quarter-Final winners   (4)   £360,000
Semi-Final winners   (2)   £900,000
Semi-Final losers   (2)   £450,000
Final runners-up   (1)   £900,000
Final winners   (1)   £1,800,000

Shame if they get a league club next round at home it will be home fans only as i dont think crowds will be allowed in as league teams are defined as elite level? I think its any team above National League North/South. Same happened with Bassett when they played Oxford City

Still a chance of a tv game if they get a league team mind
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:44:27 by tans » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:43:00 »

Scary times in those days and at times you feared for your life if you were an away fan outside the grounds and no doubts many posters on here would have stories to tell

Not so good inside either back in the day.

Valid Pint

« Reply #292 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:45:43 »

Shame if they get a league club next round as i dont think crowds will be allowed in as league teams are defined as elite level? I think its any team above National League North/South

Still a chance of a tv game if they get a league team mind

In the qualifying rounds (not sure if this will extend to the "proper" rounds):

Limited capacity attendance allowed:
Non-elite v. non-elite (home & away fans)
Non-elite v elite (but elite fans not allowed!!!)

No fans for:
Elite v. elite
Elite v. non-elite.

Didn't the National League screw themselves by allowing them to be reclassified as elite so they could hold play-offs at the end of last season, but that stopped them having fans this season (although the latter was an incredibly late decision).

Fucking bonkers. Another COVID COP-OUT!!! Or CUP-OUT in this case.
Valid Pint

« Reply #293 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:46:57 »

No mention of Cheltenham on here, despite our abysmal run of results at their place.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:53:30 »

Not so good inside either back in the day.

Football was very scary then and any younger fans wouldn't know how bad it used to be

So, give no fucks
come on you redssss

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 12:07:00 »

No mention of Cheltenham on here, despite our abysmal run of results at their place.
“Abysmal run” someone must’ve missed the two heroic draws we managed at Whaddon Road last season.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 12:08:24 »

Might as well include FGR then if you include Cheltenham

So, give no fucks
Valid Pint

« Reply #297 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 14:44:13 »

Might as well include FGR then if you include Cheltenham

OK, let's.

What's the difference between Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford, Portsmouth, Reading & Swansea versus Nailsworth & Cheltenham?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 14:58:32 »

OK, let's.

What's the difference between Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford, Portsmouth, Reading & Swansea versus Nailsworth & Cheltenham?

If you weren't around in the late 70's & 80's you will never know

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 15:59:08 »

I’m getting to the point where this season is just pointless and largely irrelevant.  I’ve just had a long argument on Twitter with someone who thinks all pro footballers are paid enough that they should lock themselves away until spring so that games aren’t put at risk. If we are really asking players to put their lives on hold more than the rest of us what is the point in continuing with the season...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: