Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxford v Swindon pre match  (Read 38347 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 07:28:03 »

I also echo the sentiment that having never lived in Swindon or that part of the south midlands, I am not really fussed about Oxford and their supporters.

Nothing to see here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 07:34:06 »

Born and grew up in Wiltshire so I can attest I detest the filthy yellow cunts with a passion.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 09:04:17 »

Trouble is I'm getting old, Oxford has never really excited me as they are nothing. I grew up nearer Bristol than Oxford, at least they have two historic clubs. The only time I consider Oxford are when we are playing them.

Ssme here 4d much prefer games against Bristol clubs

So, give no fucks
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 09:09:20 »

Oxford very very closely followed by Bristol City.

Was brought up watching Fallon's overhead kick, Henderson's double at Ashton Gate and Iffy's boys relegated in Bristol. For all of those years I think Oxford were playing in leagues below us. My only Swindon/Oxford experience at that point was the drab FA Cup game in 2001. Obviously that changed the season we won League 2 but then we still had the 14/15 battle with City. I really dont like them.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 09:15:45 »

I prefer playing Bristol City than Oxford it's a better atmosphere where as Oxford is just poisonous from start to finish against a club that thinks its bigger than us
And Slavetrader fans don't think that ??,   absolutely hate them, horrible twats, mind Rivers fans have got more aggressive and gobby in the last few years.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 09:23:12 »

And Slavetrader fans don't think that ??,   absolutely hate them, horrible twats, mind Rivers fans have got more aggressive and gobby in the last few years.

Of course slave traders are like that and as they are a much bigger club than Oxford it feels even sweeter when we beat them! As for Rovers I thought they had got a little bit more civil as the last time we played them in the league at home when it was called off at half time or in the re-match there was no trouble

So, give no fucks
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 09:54:51 »

For me the rivalries are cyclical and it just depends which local teams we play more frequently and the circumstances around it.

Growing up and watching the Town from the mid 80s it was the two Bristol clubs and especially doing City out of a play off spot in 86/87 on the last day of the season.

Going to away derby games in the 90s, the Oxford game at the Manor was the one that had edge to it especially with the Joey Beauchamp shenanigans. He got his comeuppance from Robbo and Walters.

2000s after Turbo helped dispatched Oxford to Div 4 and beyond then it was the two Bristol teams again. There was even a little turn of the century dalliance with the numbers we took to Reading. Remember Razor and Jo Kuffor in the 3-1 win there?

We had some great results mid 2000s City whereas Rovers seem to get nasty after the Inn on the Green incident.

The intensity against Oxford seemed to build amongst them after their non league spell and then their results in the Di Canio promotion season.

Even after all that revival with Oxford going toe to toe with City for most of the 14/15 season watching Cotterill squirm was a lot more fun than a couple of Oxford games a season even if we lost out in the end.

For sure, their '7 in a row claims are irritating but the nature of football means that will turnaround some time soon. Would love a scenario where we are 4 or 5 nil up singing 'We want 7'
Valid Pint

« Reply #277 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 09:56:16 »

They are both a bunch of cunts from Bristol. Nothing to separate them.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:14:17 »

For me the rivalries are cyclical and it just depends which local teams we play more frequently and the circumstances around it.

Growing up and watching the Town from the mid 80s it was the two Bristol clubs and especially doing City out of a play off spot in 86/87 on the last day of the season.

Going to away derby games in the 90s, the Oxford game at the Manor was the one that had edge to it especially with the Joey Beauchamp shenanigans. He got his comeuppance from Robbo and Walters.

2000s after Turbo helped dispatched Oxford to Div 4 and beyond then it was the two Bristol teams again. There was even a little turn of the century dalliance with the numbers we took to Reading. Remember Razor and Jo Kuffor in the 3-1 win there?

We had some great results mid 2000s City whereas Rovers seem to get nasty after the Inn on the Green incident.

The intensity against Oxford seemed to build amongst them after their non league spell and then their results in the Di Canio promotion season.

Even after all that revival with Oxford going toe to toe with City for most of the 14/15 season watching Cotterill squirm was a lot more fun than a couple of Oxford games a season even if we lost out in the end.

For sure, their '7 in a row claims are irritating but the nature of football means that will turnaround some time soon. Would love a scenario where we are 4 or 5 nil up singing 'We want 7'

Good summary and much of how I remember things although I started going in the late 70's so witnessed a few more games.
Anyone that was at Ashton Gate in 86/87 will know it dosen't get more crazy than and let's just say they weren't happy after the game!. I think the way Oxford have restricted us with tickets it's always going to be bigger for them when they are allowed to bring 2500-2800 and we're lucky to half that amount

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:16:09 »

I have found recent games against Plymouth and Exeter a lot more interesting but that is probably due to living in the south west.  

Again, I may be missing the point, but I don't feel strongly enough to refer to other lower league supporters as c***ts.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:21:21 »

They are both a bunch of cunts from Bristol. Nothing to separate them.

Only that City are much bigger😁

So, give no fucks
Valid Pint

« Reply #281 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:25:25 »

How was the Banbury game, sounded good on the radio and a couple of cracking goals

It was a cracker, if wet.

The draw for the first round proper is on Monday evening. I want away to Cray Valley Paper Mills.

A plea to Chairperson of the Highworth Chapparall, Big John Power: please put some resources & emphasis on a cup run this season. This might tempt you....

First Round Proper winners   (40)   £22,629
Second Round Proper winners   (20)   £34,000
Third Round Proper winners   (32)   £82,000
Fourth Round Proper winners   (16)   £90,000
Fifth Round Proper winners   (Cool   £180,000
Quarter-Final winners   (4)   £360,000
Semi-Final winners   (2)   £900,000
Semi-Final losers   (2)   £450,000
Final runners-up   (1)   £900,000
Final winners   (1)   £1,800,000
come on you redssss

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:32:54 »

I'm old enough to know better, so so old enough. But it does mean more to me and anyways will. In fact I can't think of a game i'd class as bigger in domestic football other than one that secures promotion/avoids relegation.

So if ask what 'bigger rivalry than what it really is' means.

I guess it's simply a personal view for all of us. And that depending on where you live and when has an influence on who our biggest rivals are.

That's not having a pop, I get that the range of views go from 'just another game' to 'death to custard, because it's yellow'.

Actually I hate custard a bit more after typing that.
Can definitely understand where you’re coming from. I’ve just always felt that our rivalry with them is a little bit manufactured compared to ones with say Bristol City or Reading. Just an opinion, and realise others will disagree with me but I’ve never felt the same for the games against Oxford. To be fair, there is definitely a bigger desire to beat them now due to our horrid run against them, but I’d feel the same way if we had a poor record like that against most clubs to be honest. Or maybe I’m just a miserable bastard and should enjoy the rivalry more!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:39:26 »

Can definitely understand where you’re coming from. I’ve just always felt that our rivalry with them is a little bit manufactured compared to ones with say Bristol City or Reading. Just an opinion, and realise others will disagree with me but I’ve never felt the same for the games against Oxford. To be fair, there is definitely a bigger desire to beat them now due to our horrid run against them, but I’d feel the same way if we had a poor record like that against most clubs to be honest. Or maybe I’m just a miserable bastard and should enjoy the rivalry more!

As you say it's all about opinions and mine are similar to yours although it's been so long since we played Reading I never give them a thought and even when we used to play them they never really created an atmosphere at the County Ground. In normal circumstances I would prefer playing Bristol City away in the 3rd or 4th round of the FA Cup than say Oxford as it's a much bigger game for me and a decent place to go to if you keep yourself to yourself

So, give no fucks
come on you redssss

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 10:57:06 »

As you say it's all about opinions and mine are similar to yours although it's been so long since we played Reading I never give them a thought and even when we used to play them they never really created an atmosphere at the County Ground. In normal circumstances I would prefer playing Bristol City away in the 3rd or 4th round of the FA Cup than say Oxford as it's a much bigger game for me and a decent place to go to if you keep yourself to yourself
I’d also much rather that, although I haven’t been to Ashton Gate since they’ve redeveloped it so wonder if any of the ‘character’ the ground had, has been substituted for aesthetics. Either way, usually very enjoyable trips.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: