Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Property/Moving thread  (Read 35403 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #195 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:02:25 »

Looking a bit at buying a house in Scotland, so now spending a lot of time learning about the Scottish property purchase system, which seems a whole lot better than the English. Had only the vaguest idea it was different until a week or two ago mind.

Anyone got any experience buying north of the border know anything worth looking out for?
My best mate is a solictor in Dundee and he specializes in the property side of things for Blackadders (yes really!) in Dundee and Perth, if you have any specific questions I am sure I can point you in his direction.

https://www.blackadders.co.uk/property-services/estate-agency

Have you read this?

https://www.martinco.com/news/buying-property-scotland-vs-england

Which area are you looking at moving to? the Mother in law lived in Edinburgh for 10 years, some lovely areas up there and some not so lovely Smiley BO has experience up there too I understand.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:10:49 »

Which area are you looking at moving to? the Mother in law lived in Edinburgh for 10 years, some lovely areas up there and some not so lovely Smiley BO has experience up there too I understand.

I certainly do PV. I lived in Haddington and Dunbar in East Lothian when I was in my school years. Haddington was a standard small market town whereas Dunbar, which was also a market down was by the sea and had a lovely harbour. Not that I saw a lot of it as I was generally in the pub!

Then I lived in Edinburgh during uni and working days, loved Edinburgh, truly great city with 2 football teams - I chose the maroon side to follow, the Edinburgh derbies were tasty affairs as it was when the ugly sisters came to toon to play the boys in maroon.

My sister now lives in Fife, on the outskirts of Dunfermline which seems a nice enough town as well. I'm no expert but know bits and pieces around those areas if you need any info Nemo.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #197 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:23:29 »

I certainly do PV. I lived in Haddington and Dunbar in East Lothian when I was in my school years. Haddington was a standard small market town whereas Dunbar, which was also a market down was by the sea and had a lovely harbour. Not that I saw a lot of it as I was generally in the pub!

Then I lived in Edinburgh during uni and working days, loved Edinburgh, truly great city with 2 football teams - I chose the maroon side to follow, the Edinburgh derbies were tasty affairs as it was when the ugly sisters came to toon to play the boys in maroon.

My sister now lives in Fife, on the outskirts of Dunfermline which seems a nice enough town as well. I'm no expert but know bits and pieces around those areas if you need any info Nemo.
The Mother in law lived for 10 years in Niddrie....yes I know! it actually wasn't as bad as they make out!

My best mate, the solicitor lived in Dundee (horrible), Perth (lovely) and now lives in Alyth (quiet), I have several mates in Fife, a very old mate, a fairly famous comedian, moved from Essex to Pittenween last year on the Fife coastline and absolutely loves it there and is now studying for an Art degree in Dundee Uni.

I know Dunbar well as the Mother in laws sister in law lived there and we used to visit, we got married at Dalkeith, another nice town just outside the Burg, we often used to stay at Musselburgh which is nice too.

In the main though the less urban the nicer the housing and more for your money. Avoid some parts of Edinburgh, Glasgow and all parts of Falkirk, Kircaldy, Dundee and Aberdeen and you will be fine Smiley

ExiledEric

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:33:02 »

I live in Haddington now, on the West Road on the way out of town.  Lots of new builds all over East Lothian including Haddington, Dunbar and if you’ve got the cash, North Berwick. Nice part of the world although Scottish independence could change that.. 
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:39:26 »

The Mother in law lived for 10 years in Niddrie....yes I know! it actually wasn't as bad as they make out!

My best mate, the solicitor lived in Dundee (horrible), Perth (lovely) and now lives in Alyth (quiet), I have several mates in Fife, a very old mate, a fairly famous comedian, moved from Essex to Pittenween last year on the Fife coastline and absolutely loves it there and is now studying for an Art degree in Dundee Uni.

I know Dunbar well as the Mother in laws sister in law lived there and we used to visit, we got married at Dalkeith, another nice town just outside the Burg, we often used to stay at Musselburgh which is nice too.

In the main though the less urban the nicer the housing and more for your money. Avoid some parts of Edinburgh, Glasgow and all parts of Falkirk, Kircaldy, Dundee and Aberdeen and you will be fine Smiley

Some memories flooding back reading that PV. When I was growing up Niddrie was a no go area full of run down council estates and bams all over the place!! I suspect some cash has been spent on it now to make it a bit less of scary area?

Didn't spend a lot of time there but Dalkeith was nice and used to go to Mussy races quite a lot, another good fun town just on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I've never been myself but Stirling I think is a nice commuter town, between Edinburgh and Glasgow?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:44:02 »

I live in Haddington now, on the West Road on the way out of town.  Lots of new builds all over East Lothian including Haddington, Dunbar and if you’ve got the cash, North Berwick. Nice part of the world although Scottish independence could change that.. 

Bloody hell, those are words I didn't expect to read on the TEF today!! The West Road is a lovely part of the town, I used to deliver the free papers around there, some of the houses on that road were massive! And overlooking my old school - Knox Academy! I really want to go back some time and see how much has changed, I probably haven't been there for 15 years at least.

I lived on Long Cram, which isn't too far from West Road, then to Burnside, again not a million miles away, and then when my parents moved to Dunbar rented a small house with a friend somewhere in the nungate, I forget the name of it now. Have you lived their long Eric?

For golf enthusiasts, East Lothian is very good (not that I play)

Peter Venkman

« Reply #201 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:48:32 »

Some memories flooding back reading that PV. When I was growing up Niddrie was a no go area full of run down council estates and bams all over the place!! I suspect some cash has been spent on it now to make it a bit less of scary area?

Didn't spend a lot of time there but Dalkeith was nice and used to go to Mussy races quite a lot, another good fun town just on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I've never been myself but Stirling I think is a nice commuter town, between Edinburgh and Glasgow?
Lots was spent on Niddrie about 10 years ago on all the old tenements and replaced them with nice housing, but the people are the same!

Stirling on paper looks lovely and nicely placed with some nice buidings. I loved the castle but was worried when I got back to the car that it was still in 1 peice is all I will say.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:50:32 »

Even further north - looking at moving to Orkney for a bit. We've been there a few times on holidays and loved the place, it's probably a bit of an overreaction after living in London for the last 4-5 years, but I work fully online now (from just before the pandemic, as it happens) so there's no requirement to be anywhere with great transport links, just decent internet, and somehow Kirkwall has better fibre provision than Islington. We want to move there at some point and figured now was as good a time as any (or more accurately, the best time would have been 18 months ago!)

I've read a bunch of guides to Scots property law, but the one you linked is new to me PV and has a few extra bits in comparison with the English system. Need to get a solicitor next I think. We rent now so at least we don't have to sell under one law and buy under another!
ExiledEric

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 12:51:31 »

Bloody hell, those are words I didn't expect to read on the TEF today!! The West Road is a lovely part of the town, I used to deliver the free papers around there, some of the houses on that road were massive! And overlooking my old school - Knox Academy! I really want to go back some time and see how much has changed, I probably haven't been there for 15 years at least.

I lived on Long Cram, which isn't too far from West Road, then to Burnside, again not a million miles away, and then when my parents moved to Dunbar rented a small house with a friend somewhere in the nungate, I forget the name of it now. Have you lived their long Eric?

For golf enthusiasts, East Lothian is very good (not that I play)

I grew up in Park North and moved up to Edinburgh in 1993.  I got the job offer 2 days after the Leicester play off game so the timing was terrible given I didn’t get to see many of our top tier games.  We’re in the house on the corner of Letham Drive so literally 2 mins from Knox.  A small world.....!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 13:00:47 »

Looking a bit at buying a house in Scotland, so now spending a lot of time learning about the Scottish property purchase system, which seems a whole lot better than the English. Had only the vaguest idea it was different until a week or two ago mind.

Anyone got any experience buying north of the border know anything worth looking out for?

We're selling our house in Hampshire at the moment.  Just waiting for the bottom of our chain to complete their admin.  And will then be renting in Stirlingshire initially, before buying, hopefully, later in the year as cash buyers.  We decided to do it this way precisely because of the different conveyancing systems in England & Scotland.  Not essential, I'm sure.  But just felt marginally less terrifying than trying to tie up a Scottish purchase with an English sale.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 13:05:12 »

I grew up in Park North and moved up to Edinburgh in 1993.  I got the job offer 2 days after the Leicester play off game so the timing was terrible given I didn’t get to see many of our top tier games.  We’re in the house on the corner of Letham Drive so literally 2 mins from Knox.  A small world.....!

I was at school at Knox for the play-off game and it wasn't a bank holiday so sprinted home to listen to radio 5 (the signal on my radio was absolutely pants so I ended up watching the game on teletext!!).

I think it was after we got into the Premier League that i really started to wear my town shirts to PE and for playing football in after school. I only got to 1 game in the Prem as well, Chelsea at home around Christmas time.

Yeah I know Letham Drive, that's just opposite 'Viv's' or Rosehall Stores, where I suspect you don't get penny sweets anymore!! So many memories are coming back now, playing 5 a sides in the Aubigny Centre, going for my first legal drink in the Tyneside Tavern (my first illegal drink was at Johnny's snooker club in Tranent at 15 - Orange Hooch no less)

Haddington is such an easy commute to Edinburgh on the A1.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 13:20:17 »

Mate of mine moved from Witney to near Kelso in the borders and has never looked back, likewise another mate from round here* moved back to Edinburgh and now lives in Aberdour on the north side of the Firth of Forth.

He moved into a rented house I was sharing in Lancaster years back, he comes from Colonsay and bizarrely we discovered we had mutual friends on that island that he knew from growing up and I knew from Oxfordshire!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #207 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 13:28:36 »

Even further north - looking at moving to Orkney for a bit. We've been there a few times on holidays and loved the place, it's probably a bit of an overreaction after living in London for the last 4-5 years, but I work fully online now (from just before the pandemic, as it happens) so there's no requirement to be anywhere with great transport links, just decent internet, and somehow Kirkwall has better fibre provision than Islington. We want to move there at some point and figured now was as good a time as any (or more accurately, the best time would have been 18 months ago!)
Wow thats some move! good luck mate.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 14:50:30 »

I think the TEF header needs to change its colour pattern to "Tartan"  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman

« Reply #209 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 14:55:09 »

I think the TEF header needs to change its colour pattern to "Tartan"  Cheesy
I went to Glasgow hotel and asked for a tartan room, they gave me both Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: