Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Property/Moving thread  (Read 35435 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #150 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 10:41:26 »

Having come through the other side, I think you are bang on Ardiles. I wish we had stayed calmer during the whole process, I think the desire to be in our new house before Christmas was a big driver, but in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't important at all.

Another question for people - we can't get internet installed until the 26th January (BT/Openreach), but I need to work remotely from 18th Jan. Is there anything I can buy temporarily that will provide internet until it is properly installed? Would a BT Hotspot work?

Can you tether from your mobile? Also, is it your responsibility to make sure you can work from home, or your employers? I'd be tethering and then expensing.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 10:53:46 »

Can you tether from your mobile? Also, is it your responsibility to make sure you can work from home, or your employers? I'd be tethering and then expensing.

That doesn't work unfortunately, we are unable to get onto the network that way.

Might just have to take the hit and get some sort of dongle.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 11:21:06 »

That doesn't work unfortunately, we are unable to get onto the network that way.

Might just have to take the hit and get some sort of dongle.

Can you not find somewhere to work for a few days? I imagine its hard in these times but when I started working from home and we had net issues I would go down town, do a couple of hours in Nero, a couple in Costa and a couple in the Library if necessary.

Likewise are there not anyone like Regus in Daventry where you can use their drop in space, I know I spent morning in their Newcastle facility once working?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 11:27:39 »

Can you not find somewhere to work for a few days? I imagine its hard in these times but when I started working from home and we had net issues I would go down town, do a couple of hours in Nero, a couple in Costa and a couple in the Library if necessary.

Likewise are there not anyone like Regus in Daventry where you can use their drop in space, I know I spent morning in their Newcastle facility once working?

Yeah you see because of Lockdown I suspect you can't go and sit in coffee shops etc these days (only takeaway I presume).

Not heard of Regus, i'll give that a whirl.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 15:35:15 »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kaeliconforti/2020/12/19/how-to-work-remotely-in-the-bahamas-for-up-to-a-year/?sh=10cd630f5cf4
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 17:31:47 »

We've just sent draft contracts to our buyers too, survey being done on our purchase tomorrow and hopefully draft contracts for that soon too. Crossing all limbs it goes smoothly.

Proving to be a good couple of days. Draft contracts received from our vendor today and already signed electronically. Homebuyers report completed today, value issued to the mortgage lender and offer received in the same day!

Just local searches to finish and we're good to go.

I'm sure something'll come along to fuck it up, but it's all going alright so far.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 17:57:01 »

Having come through the other side, I think you are bang on Ardiles. I wish we had stayed calmer during the whole process, I think the desire to be in our new house before Christmas was a big driver, but in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't important at all.

Another question for people - we can't get internet installed until the 26th January (BT/Openreach), but I need to work remotely from 18th Jan. Is there anything I can buy temporarily that will provide internet until it is properly installed? Would a BT Hotspot work?

My Company has this dongle thingy that you load up with credit. I will be using it, no doubt when i move.

Works well for mail etc but Teams meetings can eat it up!

Clems Army!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 18:35:18 »

BT-Wifi (ironically) allow you access to their hotspots for £15 a month but it's also limited. Not only in effectiveness but also time spent browsing/working. It will kick you off and you have to log in again. It's also only available on a 1yr contract so you have to buy out or keep it, which you probs don't want to spend £180 for substandard speeds, being continually kicked out and for possibly only a max of 3months usage.

Are you certain you can't use your phone as a hotspot? If so, how come?

I use my data and use 3-4 devices/log ins and have not once used my allowance. I have 60GB but even then I am streaming films, series and footy in HD along with my regular browsing, music and uploading shit tons of images and video footage, as well as file sharing too. I think the squeakiest of bums I got to was about 3GB left over. Once my latest contract ends I'll just be keeping my current phone and going for someone like iD, who offer 100GB for a similar if not cheaper price Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, January 8, 2021, 09:47:55 »

Proving to be a good couple of days. Draft contracts received from our vendor today and already signed electronically. Homebuyers report completed today, value issued to the mortgage lender and offer received in the same day!

Just local searches to finish and we're good to go.

I'm sure something'll come along to fuck it up, but it's all going alright so far.

Pretty much the same for me, I am surprised at how quickly it is moving considering they seem to warn on every piece of text that they cannot gaurantee having it done by the end of the stamp duty holiday.

Apparently the view is that January is an opportunity for them to get deals done early if all of the necessary stuff is in place before it becomes a free for all in Feb/Mar.  It sounds like you and I are in the earlier category.  All we can do is make sure that they have all of the stuff that they need immediately after it is requested to keep the momentum going.

I was expecting to be moving at the end of March, currently it is looking likely to be mid to end of Feb - which would be a real bonus.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, January 8, 2021, 09:54:14 »

BT-Wifi (ironically) allow you access to their hotspots for £15 a month but it's also limited. Not only in effectiveness but also time spent browsing/working. It will kick you off and you have to log in again. It's also only available on a 1yr contract so you have to buy out or keep it, which you probs don't want to spend £180 for substandard speeds, being continually kicked out and for possibly only a max of 3months usage.

Are you certain you can't use your phone as a hotspot? If so, how come?

I use my data and use 3-4 devices/log ins and have not once used my allowance. I have 60GB but even then I am streaming films, series and footy in HD along with my regular browsing, music and uploading shit tons of images and video footage, as well as file sharing too. I think the squeakiest of bums I got to was about 3GB left over. Once my latest contract ends I'll just be keeping my current phone and going for someone like iD, who offer 100GB for a similar if not cheaper price Smiley

To be honest I'm now not totally sure about the using the phone as a Hotspot. For some reason I thought it was outlawed but now I am wondering if that's all in my tiny little mind.

The 3/4G signal in our flat is absolutely bobbins so I never got the chance to try when Virgin kept going down last year. I'm sure I'll work something out, cheers for the suggestions though.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, January 8, 2021, 09:57:06 »

Our excitement is building now, we have the parking spaces outside the flat reserved and the removal men and deep cleaners booked and now going through the list of what to cancel and change etc. Staying in a hotel is acceptable if you are moving so we've booked a cheapy in Daventry Monday night whilst we wait to get the keys to our new home to move into on Tuesday. I carried forward some holiday from last year so took the whole week off so really looking forward to pastures new.

No more slamming front doors, buses and fire engines/police rattling past at stupid o'clock, no more listening to Michael Flatley and his troupe of elephant footed posh dicks clumping around in the flat upstairs. Not going to miss the noise and the 'hustle and bustle' at all.

A bit like a kid at Christmas at the moment!  Girl Giggle
« Last Edit: Friday, January 8, 2021, 10:00:06 by Bob's Orange » Logged

Panda Paws

« Reply #161 on: Friday, January 8, 2021, 09:59:46 »

Just being nosy - why deep cleaners? Is that something your buyers demanded? I would never have thought about doing that unless I was leaving a rental.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, January 8, 2021, 10:08:14 »

Just being nosy - why deep cleaners? Is that something your buyers demanded? I would never have thought about doing that unless I was leaving a rental.

No real reason aside from we wanted to leave the place how we would want to find it and my wife is a little OCD with cleaning and she is a little concious about Covid as well so we decided to go for a more deeper clean.

Obviously we could have done it ourself and saved some money but at this stage we really can't be bothered!

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Friday, January 8, 2021, 13:14:07 »

Many of the properties I have purchased over the years have been left in a shocking state.  As a matter of personal pride, I like to  hand over a property in a clean and tidy state of repair.  Not everyone seems to take that view.

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Friday, January 8, 2021, 13:19:27 »

With one of my previous moves I was left with a dustbin full (and I mean full) of cat shit.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: