Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Property/Moving thread  (Read 36154 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 10:44:51 »

Sold my house yesterday after 3 days on the market which was a nice surprise. Buying an executive new build on a 5 house development near Tewkesbury that’s something a bit different.Would be nice to complete by March as stamp duty will £26k then vs £10k now but ultimately matters not in grand scheme of things.
Hopefully not in the floodplain ? https://www.getthedata.com/flood-map/tewkesbury

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 23:13:49 »

I would seriously check to see if it is flooded where you are buying. Tewkesbury is currently under water.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Thursday, December 24, 2020, 09:50:09 »

I would seriously check to see if it is flooded where you are buying. Tewkesbury is currently under water.

I would imagine these executive new builds have moats and portcullis (portculli?) built in.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Thursday, December 24, 2020, 11:22:35 »

I would imagine these executive new builds have moats and portcullis (portculli?) built in.
Probably, but I remember driving to Walton Cardiff (edge of Tewkesbury) a few years ago to pick someone up. As we drove off his estate there was a big billboard at the edge of an underwater field advertising new properties being built at that site.

There were some lovely properties and villages around there, BUT......

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 12:07:37 »

Finally, after 2 months of hellish stress caused by our buyer's solicitors we have today exchanged on properties and all going well we will be moving at the start of next week. Even yesterday when we were due to exchange the lawyers couldn't find the deposit, only for it to magically turn up at 17:22 when the day was over and another day lost.

I know with Covid etc there is lots of anxiety around but this experience has been massively stressful. Even worse when its waiting around for things you can't control.

Never moving again! Or at least not for a very long time! For those who are currently on the moving path, I wish you all the luck in the world for a smooth exchange and completion.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 12:17:01 »

Finally, after 2 months of hellish stress caused by our buyer's solicitors we have today exchanged on properties and all going well we will be moving at the start of next week. Even yesterday when we were due to exchange the lawyers couldn't find the deposit, only for it to magically turn up at 17:22 when the day was over and another day lost.

I know with Covid etc there is lots of anxiety around but this experience has been massively stressful. Even worse when its waiting around for things you can't control.

Never moving again! Or at least not for a very long time! For those who are currently on the moving path, I wish you all the luck in the world for a smooth exchange and completion.

Happy days (finally)! Sure you have noted it previously but where you moving to?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 12:35:54 »

Happy days (finally)! Sure you have noted it previously but where you moving to?

Daventry in Northamptonshire. Decided that we want to move out of the city to somewhere much quieter but not to the extent where there is bugger all to do. As a town Daventry seems nice enough, has a Lidl, Tesco and a Waitrose so best of all worlds! Also has a decent newish leisure centre etc, and they are building a cinema there next year so as a town ticked all the boxes.

We had outgrown London some time ago so looking forward to the next chapter in life where I have to mow a lawn etc!! The commute won't be the best but I have already agreed to 2 days a week in the office in Canary Wharf max, so think I can handle that! (he says, nervously!)

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 14:01:08 »

Hopefully not in the floodplain ? https://www.getthedata.com/flood-map/tewkesbury
Nope, being from Tewkesbury that was the first thing I checked. New house is on a hill so good views of the current floods. Got my mortgage approved today, took about 6 hour which is good.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 14:06:47 »

My Sale/purchase is moving along nicely, draft contracts sent over to the buyer today and all things in place for my purchase - early days but looking positive to get done by the end of Feb/start of March.

Fingers crossed

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 16:58:35 »

We've just sent draft contracts to our buyers too, survey being done on our purchase tomorrow and hopefully draft contracts for that soon too. Crossing all limbs it goes smoothly.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 18:24:21 »

Berni and Samdy I really hope that your moves do go smoothly. My wife has had sleepless nights worrying about this falling through and my blood pressure has been raised by things out of our control.

The irritating thing for me is that our vendors are moving to France and so the move going into 2021 has really inconvenienced them massively.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 19:57:00 »

They say moving home is the most stressful event after death and divorce.

At least when it works it can all be worthwhile.  Divorce too, quite often.  Death I'm not so sure.

Good luck anyway, movers
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 20:19:38 »

Berni and Samdy I really hope that your moves do go smoothly. My wife has had sleepless nights worrying about this falling through and my blood pressure has been raised by things out of our control.

I've not shared much on here, but we're also months in to a protracted move.  My usual response to any problem is too look for a fix, as quickly & effectively as I can.  So it takes some adjusting to reset mentally to a situation where so much - from tardy solicitors & the whims of your buyers to the effects of a global pandemic - is out of your control.  You just have to accept that what will be will be.

Fingers crossed for all movers.  We'll all get there eventually, regardless of the route & the time taken to get there.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 00:49:16 »

I'm a seasoned house mover, it doesn't get easier but it does get there eventually.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 09:31:23 »

I've not shared much on here, but we're also months in to a protracted move.  My usual response to any problem is too look for a fix, as quickly & effectively as I can.  So it takes some adjusting to reset mentally to a situation where so much - from tardy solicitors & the whims of your buyers to the effects of a global pandemic - is out of your control.  You just have to accept that what will be will be.

Fingers crossed for all movers.  We'll all get there eventually, regardless of the route & the time taken to get there.

Having come through the other side, I think you are bang on Ardiles. I wish we had stayed calmer during the whole process, I think the desire to be in our new house before Christmas was a big driver, but in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't important at all.

Another question for people - we can't get internet installed until the 26th January (BT/Openreach), but I need to work remotely from 18th Jan. Is there anything I can buy temporarily that will provide internet until it is properly installed? Would a BT Hotspot work?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: