Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wimbledon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 19367 times)
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 15:44:19 »

Wellens did say before signing Pitman that he hopes he hasn’t made a mistake with a signing.

I presume he meant him.

Hard to point the finger at Pitman when the midfield 5 couldn’t string together any decent passages of play

Makes you wonder whether we’d be better off with Palmer (although never seen him play) than Payne at the minute to try and get some dominance in the midfield. Or have Payne cutting in from the left?
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 15:46:39 by Boeta » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 16:45:25 »

Hard to point the finger at Pitman when the midfield 5 couldn’t string together any decent passages of play

Makes you wonder whether we’d be better off with Palmer (although never seen him play) than Payne at the minute to try and get some dominance in the midfield. Or have Payne cutting in from the left?

Maybe having Johnny Smith and Stevens in the midfield is too inexperienced and lightweight against better opposition. Listening to Wellens talking about Palmers attitude in training over recent months is probably why he won't give him a chance

So, give no fucks
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 16:57:38 »

I didn’t watch the game and only heard snippets from the radio commentary.

The BBC stats (I know, I know) suggest the wrong team won. And for a patched-up defence conceding only one shot on target would normally have given us a very good chance of winning, based on previous home performances. We’ve obviously got the players to create chances and score goals in this division but for whatever reason, most likely Wimbledon’s competence, it didn’t happen yesterday.

I’m not yet convinced it will happen but I’m looking forward to seeing/hearing what our potential could be if we could put in a 70-80 min decent performance.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 18:23:41 »

in all honesty leftside it was a bit of a nothing game from both teams
Flashheart

« Reply #289 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 18:30:28 »

And we had games like that last season.

While there is clearly an issue with the defence that needs to be fixed, I think yesterday was the first time we were poor in attack. It happens sometimes, maybe we just have to give the opposition some credit for cancelling us out?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 18:53:03 »

And we had games like that last season.

While there is clearly an issue with the defence that needs to be fixed, I think yesterday was the first time we were poor in attack. It happens sometimes, maybe we just have to give the opposition some credit for cancelling us out?
TBH that was the bit that worried me most. Hopefully a one-off, or occasional dip, as you say. Not too worried yet, we've a lot of new players who need a bit of time to gel and a lot of instability caused by injuries etc. Once it settles down, we'll have a better idea where we are.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 08:27:18 »

As with all of the games so far this season we started the game well, but weren't really able to pepper the Wimbledon keeper with shots (he had a quiet game yet his handling in the second half was perfect unfortunately). They had done their homework and punted and crossed the ball between our centre backs who looked shaky with the presence of Piggott up front, and of course they scored that way.

Second half we had a lot of the ball, but apart from a couple of shots straight at the keeper we didn't really do enough to warrant a point, let alone 3.

The thing I found interesting was how that performance might have been affected by having a crowd. We never really seemed to pick up the pace, nobody took the game by the scruff of the neck etc even though we had quite a few corners. Would the crowd getting behind/on the backs of the players spurred on a bit of fight and passion and extra desire? Wimbledon were allowed to take ages to take their goal kicks without the ref doing anything, with the crowd shouting at the keeper wasting time, surely the ref would have taken action and the game would have become quicker and we might have had that extra bit of energy to take something from the game?

Its all Captain Hindsight/obvious of course but with a crowd I think we would have been better and shown more urgency second half on Saturday.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #292 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 09:53:27 »

Horrible game to watch, both sides were pretty low in terms of quality.

Piggott is everything Pitman isn't. Mobile, big, good in the air and took his one chance well. Pitman was dreadful.

Really struggling to enjoy football right now, across all levels. The quality is so low, players are fucked, and they're just glorified friendlies.

If come next summer we're in L1 and we're solvent, that'll do for me.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 10:12:12 »

I think that's a good target to set expectations to tbh. avoid relegation and bankruptcy.
---
The squad is going to be stretched when Tuesday games kick in a week tomorrow
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 10:13:35 »

If come next summer we're in L1 and we're solvent, that'll do for me.
Exactly this
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 10:15:13 »

Plus battering Oxford
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 10:30:33 »

Quote from: 4D
Plus battering Oxford

I've got a bad feeling about this...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 10:34:49 »

I've got a bad feeling about this...

They are really struggling this season as well so that only means one thing..................

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 10:42:43 »

I think that's a good target to set expectations to tbh. avoid relegation and bankruptcy.
---

Agree, though it's just such a "What If" comparison to if we had kept last year's team together and added a proper League One defender and a decent backup/alternative to Lyden/Doughty (which is Matt Smith if we hadn't lost Doughty!)
normy

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 12:25:29 »

---

This

ust be the oldest
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: