Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Exeter pre match chat and matchday thread (Mickey Mouse Trophy)  (Read 14084 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:27:22 »

Even last season up until after the Crewe defeat we were leaky at the back, Colchester x 2, Carlisle, Crewe, Bradford, Newport, Plymouth (EFL trophy) all scored 2 or 3 goals against us but we were still successful and went on a great run after the Crewe defeat.

So far this season we’ve conceded 18 goals in 7 games in all comps. It took us 13 games to get there last year, almost twice as long

Things get better but they never get good
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:30:55 »

Well, I wasn't paying £10 to see a live stream of that and I haven't seen any highlights but from reading one or two reports and the comments on here it was a good job I didn't!  Question to the people who actually watched the game, what was the new keeper like?  I take it Curran is the new anti-Christ now.  
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:31:44 »

Well, I wasn't paying £10 to see a live stream of that and I haven't seen any highlights but from reading one or two reports and the comments on here it was a good job I didn't!  Question to the people who actually watched the game, what was the new keeper like?  I take it Curran is the new anti-Christ now.   

I imagine the Anti-Christ is a better defender.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:48:45 »

Donkey can head, shout and point at things effectively which seems to be the sum total of what a number of people want from their centre backs.

To be honest I was usually pointing at a pacey attacker telling someone else to pick them up.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:51:12 »

So far this season we’ve conceded 18 goals in 7 games in all comps. It took us 13 games to get there last year, almost twice as long
We conceded 12 in our first 7 games of last season and that was at a lower level so we were still averaging conceding almost 2 goals a game so it stands to reason that largely the same defensive personnel will concede more at a higher level. My point is that at no point last season were we especially defensively solid, and during the first quarter of the season we were pretty leaky. Maybe we have overinflated opinions of players like Hunt, Baudry etc and at this level they aren't going to be good enough defensively, who knows...

However if we are looking to replace them it should be with similar style players as otherwise it's pointless and we'll just end up even more disjointed, stifle our attacking play and then have problems at both ends of the pitch. Playing an extra CM when we have that option against better teams like we did last season could alleviate the problem and take pressure off the defence.

But putting some no nonsense clogger in our backline will be helpful to no one, we are clearly more than good enough in an attacking sense at this level and we shouldn't be looking to do anything that could negatively impact that.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:58:56 by theakston2k » Logged
Briggany

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:52:27 »

Well, I wasn't paying £10 to see a live stream of that and I haven't seen any highlights but from reading one or two reports and the comments on here it was a good job I didn't!  Question to the people who actually watched the game, what was the new keeper like?  I take it Curran is the new anti-Christ now.  

Curran isn't a footballer, I think he's just a big lad that happened to fall into a football academy and no one questioned it. He has just gone with the flow up until now picking up his pay check hoping that his references wouldn't be checked.

The new keeper had a horrid night, but not because of his own doing, the defence let him down massively and he picked the ball out of his net twice in the opening 10 minutes. His confidence was shot after that and as a result his distribution was poor. Looked like he could save a shot though.

The one surprise for me was Matty Palmer. I though he did excellent last night, he was very composed and calm in possession, he managed to get the ball out of sticky situations a few times, made two cracking strikes at goal, had plenty of very good passses that released player into an attack, was defensively very strong, he is a one bit footed though but he is very accurate with that foot. TBH he would have been my man of the match as he did very little wrong. He reminded me of the recently departed doughty a little, so I do hope that we keep him and he can fight his way into the squad because I believe he is that midfielder that we have been missing.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:55:19 »

Well, I wasn't paying £10 to see a live stream of that and I haven't seen any highlights but from reading one or two reports and the comments on here it was a good job I didn't!  Question to the people who actually watched the game, what was the new keeper like?  I take it Curran is the new anti-Christ now.   
It was included as part of the iFollow season ticket so effectively got it free.

The new keeper....hard to tell, he made a couple of saves, may well have done better with a couple of goals but he had little stopping them, he calimed a couple of crosses and his kicking was very powerful but not as accurate as it could be.

I would say hes on a par with Kovar on first showing, difficult to say if he is better or worse though.

He slipped kicking the ball which nearly put us in trouble but mostly his kicking was acceptable.

He MAY have been able to get closer to the first but it was a great finish he was unsighted and reacted late, the 2nd was a pen even tho the challenge looked outside the box, the 4rd he might have done a bit better but there was a crowded box in front of him and the 4th he was rooted on his line and made no attempt to save the header,

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 11:09:47 »

It was included as part of the iFollow season ticket so effectively got it free.

The new keeper....hard to tell, he made a couple of saves, may well have done better with a couple of goals but he had little stopping them, he calimed a couple of crosses and his kicking was very powerful but not as accurate as it could be.

I would say hes on a par with Kovar on first showing, difficult to say if he is better or worse though.

He slipped kicking the ball which nearly put us in trouble but mostly his kicking was acceptable.

He MAY have been able to get closer to the first but it was a great finish he was unsighted and reacted late, the 2nd was a pen even tho the challenge looked outside the box, the 4rd he might have done a bit better but there was a crowded box in front of him and the 4th he was rooted on his line and made no attempt to save the header,

If Kovar had been in for that first goal people would have been far more critical of him. It was unfortunate he was unsighted but Fryer got himself into a really awkward position as well, he shifted all his weight on to his right hand side to try and get sight of the ball and as a result wasn't in any position to get near the shot.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 11:14:48 »

I am sure if Kovar had conceded those goals then he would have been singled out as at fault, but as it was Fryer's first game for us I certainly gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But saying that Benda last season conceded similar goals after poor defending, and also his debut was not good at all for Town, but I would say that Bendas longer reach may have meant he could have got to the first easier than shorter keepers.

It was a very difficult debut for Fryer made worse by conceding 2 in the first 6 mins, something he didn't get over very quickly, an obvious knock in confidence.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 12:04:46 »

If Kovar had been in for that first goal people would have been far more critical of him. It was unfortunate he was unsighted but Fryer got himself into a really awkward position as well, he shifted all his weight on to his right hand side to try and get sight of the ball and as a result wasn't in any position to get near the shot.

He did, our defence just seemed slow to react and lined up along the 6 yard line, no one was making any effort to close him down.

Keeper could have done better, but so could the defence and/or midfield.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 12:23:30 »

7 of the 17 goals have been in two games that Curran has played.  This isn't a scapegoating, I know of no other world where the lad is a professional footballer.  There was a point in last nights game where Grant was 15 yards from him with the ball and had to talk the lad through where to move to in order for Grant to make a pass - he didn't, Grant shifted it somewhere else and looked deflated.  He's like a Black Hole for the defence - he sucks mistakes in from others as they try to compensate.  I lost count of amount of times a forward just drifted away from him when they had possession.

It's a totally different problem to the league games.  IN the league games, we've looked good at times, bad ropey at others.  Baudry has looked a little off the pace, Hunt slack at tracking and stopping players cut inside him and the mixing of central defensive partnerships probably hasn't helped.  Add in the Covid-19 impact on football and we can very easily click right out of gear.  New personnel may change that, just as more game time together may solve it as well, as players get used to the new world and get back to fitness.  We are seeing the combination of a lack of off the pitch training as a unit, no crowd and the general overwhelming nature of dealing with Covid-19 all manifest themselves in Sport.  Unfortunately for them they can't play the game via Zoom.

Not directly related, but the New England Patriots struggled on Monday in a game delayed due to Cam Newton getting Covid.  The replacement QB had to run his drills via Zoom meetings as they were all separated to avoid any spreading.
Flashheart

« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 12:28:01 »

Scapegoating is unmerited blame.

Criticism of Curran is not unmerited - he's just no good enough. At leasy not yet. He *might* improve, you can never rule that out, but it seems rather unlikely he'll improve to anywhere near the level required.

Still, as long as him being around helps to pay the bills then that's something.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 12:32:17 »

I'd put money on him never improving to professional standard, there is nothing to work on.  If we get some money in the club to keep us afloat during these tough times and he helps us lose games in this competition, who cares I guess.  Just never let us need him in a proper game.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 12:34:52 »

Scapegoating is unmerited blame.

Criticism of Curran is not unmerited - he's just no good enough. At leasy not yet. He *might* improve, you can never rule that out, but it seems rather unlikely he'll improve to anywhere near the level required.

Still, as long as him being around helps to pay the bills then that's something.
This.

I'd put money on him never improving to professional standard, there is nothing to work on.  If we get some money in the club to keep us afloat during these tough times and he helps us lose games in this competition, who cares I guess.  Just never let us need him in a proper game.
Also this.

molepar

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 12:40:12 »

Sorry I may have missed something but how does having Curran around help us financially?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: