Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Exeter pre match chat and matchday thread (Mickey Mouse Trophy)  (Read 14080 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #195 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 08:55:54 »

Donkey can head, shout and point at things effectively which seems to be the sum total of what a number of people want from their centre backs.
They should also be good at defending, which is something our current defenders apparently aren't, and thats coming from our defensive coach.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:04:49 »

Haven't watched any games yet, but we do seem to be shipping goals at an alarming rate, its almost Keeganesque.
Panda Paws

« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:05:39 »

At no point did Tommy say that our defenders are bad at defending. We're not defending well as a unit at the moment, and some players are making individual errors. That doesn't mean that all 7 CBs at the club are crap and need to be replaced.

It was summed up earlier in the thread. Any combo of Conroy, Baudry, Akin, Grounds and Fryers is probably good enough for a middling League 1 side, which is what we are right now.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:26:28 »

Personally I think lack of a consistent centre back partnership is costing us, as it did at times last season. If you've got two out of Baudry/Conroy/Fryers fit for the majority of the season and Donohue up to scratch, then I think we've got enough to compete.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:34:34 »

Trouble is, the majority of our CBs are injury prone.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #200 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:36:09 »

Leaking 18 goals in 7 games is poor at any level.

Some people say you defend from the front, but it’s not like people are ripping us apart with their football and making loads of chances, it’s fundamental errors that we’re making, and we have to get them right.

But once the players cross that white line, they need to take ownership. The forwards are creating chances and scoring goals, but the defenders need to defend better.

That sounds to me that he is saying they are not actually very good at defending.

Conroy is still a long way from fitness.
Fryers is constantly injured and CB is not his natural position.
Baudry for me wasnt good enough in L2 let alone L1, he always made mistakes that in L2 were not punished as often because of the quality player he was up against.
Jury is out on Odimayo as he has played 2 poor games (Charlton & WBA) and 1 good game (Rochdale) and is still not fully fit.
Grounds looks decent but is converted fullback like Fryers.
Haines is out on loan.
Curran is blatantly nowhere near good enough.

To show you this is not a knee jerk reaction to a crappy cup result...

I am not convinced by Baudry & Conroy as a pair but I think Baudry has more about him than Conroy this year, Conroy has been at fault as well as Baudry and though both are decent players neither are solid defenders.

I can understand your comment, because we look better in attack the defence now looks weak in comparison, but for me all the defenders have been guilty of several mistakes in every game they have played except for Hunt.

Reid and Fryers have been guilty of letting players past them far too often but we have not defended the balls coming into the box as well as I think we should have.

Baudry and Conroy have both made many mistakes that with better finishing would have been costly, both guilty of at times very poor distribution.

Baudrey has been ok in the main but has always got 2 or 3 mistakes in his locker per game, the same applies to Conroy, his heading has improved but his stopping has gone backwards IMO.

As for goals directly attributable to them, I would say the 2nd at Cheltenham should have been cut out by Baudry.

Saturday the striker got in between both of them to score when neither was anywhere near the shooting player.

The goal at Exeter the striker who scored from 8 yards out was totally unmarked and was right between Conroy and Baudry under no pressure from either.

The 2nd goal vs Carlisle Baudry lets the striker accross his body 2 yards out so was at fault there.

They look like they will hopefully become a good pairing but they are both a bit behind the game at times and not reading it that well.

Just my opinion of course.

Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:38:43 »

Trouble is, the majority of our CBs are injury prone.

Well, quite, and that's on Wellens.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:41:57 »

Myself and another poster (cant remember who, sorry) mentioned centre half could be a real issue before a ball was kicked. I didn't see such issues this early into the season though.

Three of our centre backs are ridiculously prone to injury and it's difficult to get any sort of consistency when you're chopping and changing every week. It also won't help our young goalkeeper.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:42:25 »

Nothing wrong with a slightly more rustic type of centre half.

Manchester United won the lot with Nemanja Vidic at the back.

Nelson obviously isn’t Vidic and may not even be L1 quality but would certainly fill a niche gap at centre half which, in my opinion would be a positive for our squad (having that type of player not specifically Nelson)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:47:58 »

Myself and another poster (cant remember who, sorry) mentioned centre half could be a real issue before a ball was kicked. I didn't see such issues this early into the season though.

Three of our centre backs are ridiculously prone to injury and it's difficult to get any sort of consistency when you're chopping and changing every week. It also won't help our young goalkeeper.

I think due to the massive turnover of our attacking players (and losing roughly 80% of our goals) the focus was obviously building a new attack.

The defence is unchanged wasn’t our priority over the summer. Would be harsh to say fans and manager alike neglected it - as I certainly didn’t expect our defence to be bad as it has been.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #205 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 09:51:23 »

It could well have been me as I have been saying we need new CB'(s), I am pleased with what I have seen of Grounds so far for a converted fullback though.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:13:13 »

If we do need another defender it needs to be in a similar mould to what we have already. Our playing style relies on us playing out from the back and all players including the keeper being comfortable on the ball. I don't understand why people want an agricultural or clogger at the back, it'll have a massive impact on our fluidity and just cause a raft of other issues we then have to resolve. All of our players have been recruited to play a certain way we shouldn't be expecting Wellens to sacrifice our style for a bit of 'passion' in the back line as to date our way of playing has been successful. The challenge is either improving the defensive side of what we have or somehow finding a better ball playing centre back than we currently have that's the only real option we should be talking about.

Even last season up until after the Crewe defeat we were leaky at the back, Colchester x 2, Carlisle, Crewe, Bradford, Newport, Plymouth (EFL trophy) all scored 2 or 3 goals against us but we were still successful and went on a great run after the Crewe defeat.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:13:51 »

I would not be suprised to see Grounds have a very similar town career as Jamie Vincent. Same kind of pedigree (moderate championship success as a full back), reverting to experienced centre half

Things get better but they never get good
Peter Venkman

« Reply #208 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:17:07 »

I would not be suprised to see Grounds have a very similar town career as Jamie Vincent. Same kind of pedigree (moderate championship success as a full back), reverting to experienced centre half
From what I read I understand hes is very similar to Jamie Vincent, same build, size, height and age when signing for Town, started his career LB was used as a fill in at CB which he prefers but has moved to LB again later in his career, will give everything he has got without being outstanding, just a solid performer.

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #209 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:19:45 »

Can't be any argument can there regarding the need for a defender? It is blatantly where we should be focussing our recruitment
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: