Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22588 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 06:55:45 »

...and when we do find them we sell them to divisional rivals & get relegated anyway...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 07:40:26 »

The comment about 'if people let him down they wont play' seemed to be levied at outfield players who didn't do what he wanted them to in the second half.

Sounded as if that could be Payne, DJ or T Smith
I see the Adver have attributed this comment to be aimed at Baudry.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Flashheart

« Reply #287 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 07:52:37 »

You don't even really need a 'head it' type defender to make the header Baudry missed.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #288 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 08:24:26 »

Peter ‘State my opinion as fact’ Venkman by any chance?  Cheesy
DV never has a dig at me so no I believe that wasn't aimed at me......oh wait...

And if anyone states their opinion as fact it is Chang!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 08:34:49 »

Baudry had a shocker. It happens.

it's when he continually has shockers that the problem comes.

At the moment we are simply too leaky. that much is true. But it seems to be a collective deficiency rather than one weak link to my eyes.

what's the name for a collection of cock ups? A Grayling I think is a single person coving up multiple times so I discounted that
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 08:38:05 »

Our season is becoming very predictable now isn't it? Blistering start every game.

Got a feeling if we're not 3 or 4 up at half time we're gonna find games tricky. Defensively we are terrible! Not gonna get too upset about it, we're very good going forward and to be honest, I wasn't expecting us to mount a serious promotion challenge and given the circumstances maybe a midtable season isn't too bad. Long way to go mind.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #291 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 08:50:22 »

Our season is becoming very predictable now isn't it? Blistering start every game.

Got a feeling if we're not 3 or 4 up at half time we're gonna find games tricky. Defensively we are terrible! Not gonna get too upset about it, we're very good going forward and to be honest, I wasn't expecting us to mount a serious promotion challenge and given the circumstances maybe a midtable season isn't too bad. Long way to go mind.
Absolutely, nobody predicted that we will storm the league, far from it.

We have started well against every side but faded as the game goes on. Could be concentration, could be partly fitness could be that the players are not quite good enough to apply consistant pressure on teams.

As it stands we will still win more than we will lose, the centre of defence is still struggling and there are still uncertainties about the quality of the keeper but we are still having some excellent periods in games.

The only fans panicking are the ones that always panic.

I still think now as I did pre season that we will be in the top half of the table with a few forrays into the play off places at times.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 09:37:49 »

DV never has a dig at me so no I believe that wasn't aimed at me......oh wait...

And if anyone states their opinion as fact it is Chang!

*shrugs*

Chang singled you out. Not me.

No doubt you expressed your opinion at the time. As did others.
No doubt at some point in TEF history your opinion has been wrong, same for others.

I think it’s going to be a bit like that. That will be enough to get us past the likes of your Rochdales and your Burtons but we will come unstuck against them better attacking sides and the more solid defensive sides.

I think the most problematic thing about Saturdays game was the fact they changed their game plan / shape at half time and we couldn’t get to grips with it.

At least we didn’t let 6 or 7 go past us I suppose!!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #293 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 09:45:33 »

No doubt at some point in TEF history your opinion has been wrong, same for others.
My opinion is often wrong but I appear to be the only one who admits his opinion was wrong.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 10:08:34 »

Quote from: Tails

it's a bit early to say for sure.

we have grounds and Conroy to maybe come back in and make a difference. or no difference at all.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 10:16:51 »

Two consecutive away games where we have failed to counter shifts in emphasis in the game brought about by the oppo adapting to poor starts.  We were unlucky with J Smiths departure at Pool and with the referee's refusal to call a penalty at Posh.  

Nevertheless, we have failed to react effectively to oppo changes and whatever his constraints, it may be that Wellens himself should bear some responsibility.  

When you're 1-0 up away to a supposedly strong team at HT, I'd like to see gamesmanship, defensiveness, determination, spoiling, the kitchen sink to hang on at all costs.  We're not going to "outplay" quite a few sides.  A bit of meanness.  

Grant fulfilled that role last season pretty much on his own, as had Lyden to a lesser extent.  We may need to play both (when available) in these situations.  I thought Pitman's 2nd half  role was pretty pointless.  He's not a great chaser and the game passed him by.  The prospect of the likes of M Smith and Payne to threaten to set free the likes of Stevens and J Smith on the counter and nick something could better keep the oppo honest.  Another midfielder like Gott could still be welcome.

This may be a bit negative but we really have been repeatedly cut to shreds in the second halves and I believe we could perform better.  Much better.

Baudry did have a shocker.  I believe he is Lg 1 standard in an average kind of way.  His header was a joke but a striker does the same and gets a tap in 5 minutes later and he's a hero.  The only player who really concerns me is Kovar.  If he doesn't start being more proactive and confident soon then I believe his performance level thus far will actually create uncertainty for the whole team when defending.  Good luck to the boy but he needs to take risks and show us he really wants it and believes in himself.  If he does this, perhaps even making the odd mistake, then he will surely improve.

« Last Edit: Monday, October 5, 2020, 10:24:37 by RedRag » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 12:00:48 »

I decided to hold off on posting in the immediate aftermath and having watched the Liverpool vs Villa game I think that was a good thing.  I'm now sure that this season is fucked, for most sport.  The lack of fans, the lack of a proper pre-season period, it's all just messed the normal routine up and we have some weird substitute for sport in it's place.  I thought the lack of fans would remove pressure, but it's sort of gone too far I think - players are able to go completely off the boil and the tempo can switch in a game much easier than with fans pushing a team on or laying into them.  It's sort of Professional Sunday League stuff.

On our game - could have been 3 up at half time and coasting, instead we miss a couple of chances and don't get a penalty for the same challenge they get one, we drop into a more passive approach, Payne goes wandering to get involved, Baudry loses complete focus and we end-up looking ragged again.

Overall, still some positives, but my first point means this season will be a whirlwind.  Get through it, come out the other side, all will be good.  I think.  Maybe.  FACT!, or something.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #297 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 13:22:13 »

And as always, the views from the opposition fans.

Swindon are a decent team, we can’t expect to steam roller everyone we play and we must expect games where the opposition play well and dominate us for parts of the game.

Second half we were mostly dominant and deserved the win.

Swindon passed the ball superbly, played with determination and pace and we just couldn't get into the game. This sort of thing happens in nearly all games.

There are 2 teams in every game and you have to give Swindon credit for the way they played in the first half, it was a bit like us last week against Sunderland. They had 3 excellent chances and a good penalty shout, we can’t just put that down to bad play by us, there are other good teams in this league and we can’t expect to just turn up and win every game because we’ve spent millions.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 13:50:32 »

......  players are able to go completely off the boil and the tempo can switch in a game much easier than with fans pushing a team on or laying into them.   ......
Interesting.  Not something I've worked out or had drawn to my attention before.  For younger loanees, the lack of crowds will, in part, detract from their learning experience. 

Not sure that the lack of crowds ought to have any impact either way on our success on the pitch.  Agree that staying in business must be the priority for this strangest of years.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: