Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22581 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 05:05:07 »

Not a second half team, are we.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 07:55:49 »

I didn’t watch or listen yesterday, but saw goals on the EFL show last night.
Whilst I agree Kovar needs a clean sheet to help his confidence,  the 3 conceded yesterday were due to defensive inadequacies elsewhere rather than any errors by him. I am a getting fed up with some folks attributing every goal conceded to him. Also, the penalty was a joke - if there are no spectators, how did the sniper get in?

Rather than looking at home v away form (whilst the difference is apparent, we have played two teams who would be in most people’s list of promotion contenders away, and two inferior sides at home), a bigger concern for me is the difference between 1st and second half performances - we have scored 7 in the 1st half and only 1 in the second, whereas we have conceded 2 in the 1st half and conceded 6). I wonder whether part of the reason is that with a shorter pre season and some of the squad arriving late or recovering from injury our fitness levels are not as high this year, meaning we can’t sustain the pressing game at the right intensity currently. This needs addressing, although we are moving to a two games a week period now.

I think we’ll be ok this year, but as others have said, the higher level means it won’t be as easy as last season.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #257 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 07:58:17 »

We need that little bit of extra pace up front for me. We have some very quick players up until we get to pitman but he is just not quick enough and it seems like he is playing more link-up than Doyle did for example last year. That said the defenders were just as liable yesterday
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #258 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 09:49:04 »

Just home from a couple of days away, at least I managed to watch the game, even though I may wish I hadn't!

Disappointed that Kovar has started punching the ball when he could easily get both hands on it and claim it, felt he was poor for the 3rd beaten at his near post but did ok, his kicking has gone off the boil a bit too.

Pitman on any other day would have scored 3, thought he played quite well over all though.

Nathan Thompson is shit.

Both Stevens and J Smith both off the pace a bit, in and out of the game but far more out than in and they are 2 players we rely on for most of our good attacks.

Payne looked really handy especially 1st half, 2nd half he didnt get as much of the ball as he did in the first.

Grant and M Smith both did well for most of the game, Grant made a couple of mistakes and hasn't quite hit the level he was at last season yet but still played pretty well.

Baudry always makes a couple of mistakes a game and for me is not quite good enough for this level, sorry to all the Frenchy fans. As I said last season I felt he was at fault with a fair amount of our goals we conceded last year all through the season.

Fryers looked decent before going off, Hunt too hasn't hit the form he did last year yet. Caddis is Caddis, could have got a penalty fist half with a different ref and did pretty well but he too always had 1 mistake in him every game that is often punished.

Grounds looked pretty decent when he came on, I thought he was unlucky with the penalty as I don't think it was but the ref gave it anyway, looked like a tangle to me.

First 30 we controlled the game and always looked like scoring, but for the 2nd half Posh looked the more likely to score, which they did even though 1 was a pen.

DJ And Tyler had little chance to impact the game.

I will be interetsed to see what Fryer is like in goal on Tuesday in the Mickey Mouse cup see if he can press a claim to start a 1st team game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 09:59:25 »

I think Wellens needs to quickly establish a first choice centre half pairing and decide who he wants at right back Hunt or Caddis.

Going forward we do look a real threat but with a young team you get excitement and inconsistent performances as the inexperience kicks in. Maybe another older head is needed in midfield plus up front but for that to happen we would probably have to lose both Palmer and Hope.

I also think fans forget how inexperienced Wellens is at this level so he's still learning and although it's nice to see his passion he needs to reign it in a title as he can't keep getting involved with the officials at the end of games etc.

So, give no fucks
Panda Paws

« Reply #260 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 10:11:33 »

A game of very fine margins, which is no mean feat at Posh. Could have gone either way, and the pen on Cads is baffling.

Fryers going off really threw Baudry, at fault for all 3 goals. Fryers has been outstanding so far this season.

Rob Hunt much more solid, the 3 behind the striker all did well and Kovar came up with a couple of huge saves.

Grant had an off day though, Baudry was bad as mentioned and Pitman just not quite sharp enough.

Still loads of positives. Back to back home games now. Let's see where we are after 10 but we'll be fine.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 10:55:12 by Panda Paws » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 10:17:12 »

A game of very fine margins, which is no mean feat at Posh. Could have gone either way, and the pen in Cads is baffling.

Fryers going off really threw Baudry, at fault for all 3 goals. Fryers has been outstanding so far this season.

Rob Hunt much more solid, the 3 behind the striker all did well and Kovar came up with a couple of huge saves.

Grant had an off day though, Baudry was bad as mentioned and Pitman just not quite sharp enough.

Still loads of positives. Back to back home games now. Let's see where we are after 10 but we'll be fine.

Good post and I think a fitter more confident Pittman would have taken the first half chance with his left foot with pace.

So, give no fucks
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 12:12:32 »

I actually think Grant has been pretty poor this season so far.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 12:16:13 »

It's strange how we all see the game in different ways.  I though Rob Hunt was one of our better players, good defensively and equally as good going forward.  Payne, Stevens and Grounds also very decent.

Disapointed with Bauldry, Grant and Pitman - I thought they were all poor.  Bauldry obvious, Grant getting caught on the ball too often and not as dynamic as usual trying to break up play and win the ball back.  Pitman worries me, he looks lazy.  If he had taken his chances then all would have been forgiven (you can put up with a lazy striker as long as they do what they are paid to do) but it looked to me that he was far too complacent when he got those chances which is a big concern.

Kovar is obviously still getting used to competetive mens football (Benda had the luxury of 4 or 5 weeks to get up to speed before being thrown in) the goals weren't down to him yesterday but he was a little too flappy for my liking and I agree with the puching when not required - hopefully Midenhall/Wellens will knock that out of him pretty quickly.

As I said in the feed yesterday, I din't think ours was a penalty, but I didn't think theirs was either - if you are going to give one you have to give the other - lower league inconsistent referees which we should be used to by now - VAR would have given both penalties with the current rules.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 12:26:13 »

It's strange how we all see the game in different ways.  I though Rob Hunt was one of our better players, good defensively and equally as good going forward.  Payne, Stevens and Grounds also very decent.

Disapointed with Bauldry, Grant and Pitman - I thought they were all poor.  Bauldry obvious, Grant getting caught on the ball too often and not as dynamic as usual trying to break up play and win the ball back.  Pitman worries me, he looks lazy.  If he had taken his chances then all would have been forgiven (you can put up with a lazy striker as long as they do what they are paid to do) but it looked to me that he was far too complacent when he got those chances which is a big concern.

Kovar is obviously still getting used to competetive mens football (Benda had the luxury of 4 or 5 weeks to get up to speed before being thrown in) the goals weren't down to him yesterday but he was a little too flappy for my liking and I agree with the puching when not required - hopefully Midenhall/Wellens will knock that out of him pretty quickly.

As I said in the feed yesterday, I din't think ours was a penalty, but I didn't think theirs was either - if you are going to give one you have to give the other - lower league inconsistent referees which we should be used to by now - VAR would have given both penalties with the current rules.

What worries me with Pittman laziness was one of the criticisms Pompey fans said about him also how long can we say he's not yet fit as Chris Martin has been Bristol City's best player since he joined them and he's the same age, slightly bigger unit and had no proper pre season either

So, give no fucks
Flashheart

« Reply #265 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 12:56:28 »

Should we be expecting Pitman to be match sharp yet? He's only started 2 games.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 12:59:05 »

I actually think Grant has been pretty poor this season so far.

I said pre-season that I was a bit concerned Grant might not be up to league 1 standard this season. I don’t think he’s been too bad but nowhere near last season’s form.....yet

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 13:04:02 »

I said pre-season that I was a bit concerned Grant might not be up to league 1 standard this season. I don’t think he’s been too bad but nowhere near last season’s form.....yet

I got shouted down for saying the same thing. He was totally missing yesterday and the game passed him by.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 13:07:17 »

I got shouted down for saying the same thing. He was totally missing yesterday and the game passed him by.

Yeah I agree Mex. the game in league 1 just seems to be faster and he ‘seems’ to be a bit behind the speed of others.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, October 4, 2020, 13:08:01 »

Is the reason that Grant isn't shining because of M Smith? It seems to me that Smith is doing alot of the good things that Grant was doing last year. Grant is then just covering him so that he can press.

From what I have seen, it looks as if Grant is still working hard, but just not doing the eye catching stuff.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: