Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 23089 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:45:10 »

Disappointing but you can't expect to roll over the established league one sides every week.

Nothing to see here
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:45:51 »

Second half we were poor. Started slowly and gave the game away. Individual errors from Baudry and Caddis (who was awesome in the first half) put our back line under pressure and resulted in the equaliser. Peterborough were in the ascendancy then. The penalty was incredibly harsh. The third another defensive mistake, when Baudry tries to head the ball to Caddis but missed completely. A great save then might have kept us in the game, but it a cool finish to the keepers near side ended the game .

We were at our best when we had pace out wide. DJ and T Smith made no impression on the game when they came on.

Poor finishing from Payne and Pitman proved costly.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:46:38 »

Essentially we've been undone by a dubious penalty decision. Yes we didn't take our many hatful of chances but equally Peterborough didn't take any of theirs as they grew into the game. They got the penalty and that disrupted us.

Likely they may have scored anyway but we could easily be sat here with 3pts or even a draw. If our penalty had been given then possibly 0-2 at HT would've had a different approach from Peterborough.

Have to just scratch it off again. It's unfair to jump straight towards Kovar when any goals go in at this stage. If you had a suspect or unsettled defence in front of you as a first time pro... it'd be slightly unnerving. This isn't a criticism of Kovar, more a protection but maybe he just isn't quite ready to be a No.1 yet. It is a big ask for him to play that role. I can see the frustrations and I think he would be better as a rotated No.2 for this season.

Today Baudry had a game to forget. Wasn't really helped with the Zeki injury. Those two when together play pretty well. Let's remember that was the first time Baudry & Ground have spent pretty much a full match together. He isn't instantly a, shit player though as both Outled Red and Welsh Red seemed pretty keen to point out. Shit today but not a shit player.

Still think we'll be there or abouts come the end of the season. Result flatters Peterborough today and the penalty was a fucking early Christmas present from the ref. Wonder if he and Caddis have previous?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
china red

« Reply #228 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:47:39 »

Kovar seems well off the pace at the moment.  Has he actually made a save of an on target shot yet?

First 30 were great, thought Matt Smith was best player on the pitch, seems to be growing with each game.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:47:46 »

Should have taken our chances early in the match.  Posh changed shape to 433 second half (not that the fucking shit commentators said anything). Richie then brought DJ on to play alongside M Smith with Grant behind. It didn't work at all. Moving Payne to wide is a mistake, i think he is only good centrally from what we have seen. That was compounded with the T  Smith change to replace Stevens. Need that CM in for these away games, also very easy for people to get around Grant when they are good enough.

Baudry made a  couple of bad mistakes, but has been very good. Just bad day for him.

Kovar not convincing, has he saved anything that would be considered above average? Everytime the oppo have a decent chance they score. He also does not catch the ball and punches when its easier to catch. Perhaps spoiled having Benda last year.

Pens were a joke. Ours was touch and ago but  probably on the edge of being a pen. The ball was still there etc.  Theres was never a pen and even if there was contact just look  where the  ball was, never going to be a goal.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:49:01 »

Essentially we've been undone by a dubious penalty decision

That's a very generous appraisal. Penalty decision(s!) or not we dropped off massively after a great start and Posh improved out of sight once they changed shape.
Flashheart

« Reply #231 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:50:44 »

That's a very generous appraisal. Penalty decision(s!) or not we dropped off massively after a great start and Posh improved out of sight once they changed shape.

If not for the 1st dubious decision it could have been a very different game.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:55:02 »

If not for the 1st dubious decision it could have been a very different game.

Of course, but you could say the same about us taking any of the three or four open play chances either side of it. I don't think it's reasonable to just take away that we've been done by the ref today, it's at least partially on our own performance.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:56:21 »

Peterborough did improve and I stated they likely may have scored anyway but had Town been given a penalty; one that was more convincing than theirs, Town would've been 0-2 up at HT. As stated also. I think with that in mind, Town should've come out with at least a point.

We were slow out the blocks away from home in the 2H again though. It's a frustrating loss for me but I'm not overly worried.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:59:02 »

FOOTBALL : (Red-carded) manager Richie Wellens on @Official_STFC defeat at Peterborough : "game of two halves, should be four up and have a penalty (by break), then mistakes have cost us (goals conceded)" #stfc
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 15:59:13 »

Of course, but you could say the same about us taking any of the three or four open play chances either side of it. I don't think it's reasonable to just take away that we've been done by the ref today, it's at least partially on our own performance.

But we could go on all night tbh Nemo. We always look at our own teams misses but we could easily say that Peterbough should have scored two that hit the bar. This could easily have ended up 4-3, 4-4, 3-4, 5-4, 4-5 had everything been slotted in. Both teams have defensive issues and this was highlighted pre-match.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 16:02:22 »

Defensive mistakes are going to be punished at this level and we’re second half. Ferguson changed tactics and they scored at a great time.

Still confident of a good season based on the first half but our defence is concerning and I think Kovar doesn’t inspire as much as Benda would unfortunately. Likes a punch rather than to catch the bloody thing which can’t help!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 16:03:12 »

Wellens:
- Complains about referee and Peterborough diving and getting free kicks
- Says penalty harsh
- We had similar shout
- We got too passive after scoring too early
- Got to take chances
- They closed us down and 3 mistakes cost us
- Difficult team to play against.
- Wanted to play 2 midfielders infront of Grant but only had 2 fit midfielders at the club
- Should have been 4-0 up at HT
- They upped the tempo in 2nd half.
- Their first goal came from a defensive mistake
- Naive mistakes
- Up until 75 mins they didnt carve us open
- Cant see what referee saw in our or their penalty shouts
- Penalty was so unavoidable its untrue
- If you make mistakes then you will lose
- The opposition are only making 2-3 chances
- If people keep letting him down they wont play
- Desperate for a midfielder
- Doesnt want to play Grant and M Smith on Tuesday, but doesn't have much option as it will affect balance of team
- When we scored early we became passive in pressing
- Leeds midfielder. Wellens said 'No, no!'
- We've had 3 bookings and they have had none. They have made the same amount of fouls and have none.
- Referees need to be consistent. If their was a penalty then so was theirs
- Complained that if you mark a ref as 0 they still get a game the next week.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 16:06:51 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 16:06:06 »

cheers nmh
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Saturday, October 3, 2020, 16:09:55 »

The comment about 'if people let him down they wont play' seemed to be levied at outfield players who didn't do what he wanted them to in the second half.

Sounded as if that could be Payne, DJ or T Smith

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: