Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22592 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 16:08:38 »

Here we are again.
Probably won’t try and replicate the away day experience on Saturday by setting the alarm for 04:30 and departing on the 06:10 journey down the stairs, taking about 3 or 4 hours with a couple of stops on the way.
So straight to the comfy chair with the beers lined up for about 10:00 it will be.

Been to Peterborough loads of times and it’s a good day out.
Pleased to see that Charters Bar on the River Nene is open for business.

Going back to August 2013, first game of the season and can remember the ball seemingly sticking to the chunky midfielder who came on as sub in the second half and wondering who he?
Little did Kasim know at the time that one day he would make it onto a Loathed Strangers Podcast.
Have no recollection of one Alex Smith at left back that day. Do remember having high hopes for Tijane Reis.

And Claude Gnakpa should be a contender if ever there was a “Would have been a cult hero but didn’t make it into the first team” thread.

Will happily take a draw on Saturday.
Hoping for a performance that’s sharper than a Darragh MacAnthony suit, brasher than a Barry Fry interview and, if needs must, more dour than a Darren Ferguson post-match interview.

Whatever happens, I doubt that this will feature in the pre match music selection.

And a not too taxing quiz question to finish.
Which two former Town managers have Peterborough connections?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 17:08:24 »

Remember that one - 3-0 down after about 30 minutes. Back to 3-3. Lost 5-4.

I can’t make my mind up if Posh are a club on the up or a bunch of bottlers.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 17:20:25 »

Always think of Peterborough as high goalscorers. Hopefully got them early enough in the season that they wont be anywhere near full flow.

2-2.

Oh and Mark Cooper is one managerial connection but the other doesnt spring to mind.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 17:31:57 »

Lee Power used to play for them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 18:03:46 »

My first ever Swindon game was in 1974 against this lot and we lost that game 1-0 in front of over 9,000 I was 8 and there was a fair bit of crowd violence, I was hooked from that game on.

Peterborough this season have so far won 1 game, a home game 2-1 vs Fleetwood and have lost 3 other games including the LC at home to Cheltenham and 2 away games at Sunderland and Accrington, all 3 without scoring.

Posh fans on the previous few games...
You don’t win League One with the useless JCH upfront!!! Horrendous signing and the biggest waste of money since Jason Cummings loan fee.

We've got the best (& most expensive) squad in League One & a manager with a famous surname

It doesn't' matter how many we lose. We'll win enough to get promotion.

Interesting that the previous six seasons (not including last year when it was cut short) that the winners of League One ALL lost a maximum of SIX games all season.
After only three matches, we’ve already lost 33% of those.
If winning the league is the aim, then we need to seriously get our arses in gear else the season will be over before it’s even begun.

Szmodics and JCH look like a couple of free transfers and not expensive signings.

We lost. It didn't look good. Sunderland didn't look too good either.

Yep, 3 games in and we can all see it’s going wrong.
We should sack Fergie, re-sign Maddison and bring back Steve Evans, there’s no other way we’re going up this season.

we were probably the better side for much of the game, but with two strikers who both cost, allegedly, over a million quid each, we need to get the ball in the net more often than we concede.
Until Eisa and JCH start contributing what they have been signed to do, we will not get anywhere the play offs, let alone automatic promotion.

All in all, it's a poor start but, as I said, the money invested in this team will be too much for this division....

on current viewing I fear that may not be the case JCH, Eisa, Szmodics, Taylor, Brown, and Ward thus far this season have been woeful at best.

I can fully understand why people who have watched them will have been annoyed at the negative approach to all the games. As has been shown recently in the Premier league particularly the Man City v Leicester result, that the tippy tappy football that we tend to play, has been found out by sides that press and break quickly.

At the moment, the combined fee spent on JCH, Szmodics & Eisa (approx £4m) is looking like three Tyrone Barnett's.
I really hope I am wrong, and the three of them start banging the goals in very soon, but at the moment they look like very expensive League One players. £4m is a huge amount in this league - they should be tearing defenses a new one every game.

Posh fans on the Swindon game...

Posh are favourites with the bookies to win this game.
I reckon we'll give them a hiding.

Fourth match of the season & already a 'must win'.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 18:10:56 »

From today's tea-time presser:

Wellens on yesterday's practice game v Cardiff : "We got to play a strong Cardiff side which was good. Dion Donohue got 90 mins which was good and we played well."

Wellens on Jordan Stevens : "When you take players from a Marco Bielsa side you know they are going to be fit. We knew he would be ready to go."

Wellens on injuries : "DJ played on Tuesday and got 90 mins so he's fit for the weekend. We won't have any returning this week. Jordan Lyden could be back next week and Dion Conroy could be back fit the week after next."

Wellens on Palmer : "At the moment we don't expect anything to happen this week. But on Monday hopefully we will see some movement."

Wellens on players incoming : "There will be no one in before the weekend. We will only be spending if we can get players out."

Wellens on Peterborough : "They put the money in to take non-league players in and then they sell them for top money. They have a history of getting players in for cheap and selling them for millions."

Wellens on set-pieces : "We've been waiting for two years to see Baudry to score from a set-piece. It's important to put good balls in and it was a good header from him."

river monster

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 21:54:58 »

Anyone know the score/scorers from that Cardiff game? Just out of interest..
Valid Pint

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:02:04 »

Peterborough:
Ball-ache to get to.
Never forgive them after the JPT penalty defeat.
Their off-field tantrums at the conclusion of last season.
The accent.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:11:35 »

Peterborough deserve credit for finding so many quality non league players as it's no coincidence that they are able to do it most seasons and sell them for huge profits so must have a decent scouting network and coaches to bring them on
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:18:57 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:45:33 »

Lee Power used to play for them.

Forgot about his time as manager.
There's one more that played for and also coached at Peterborough and is also a TEFer.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:47:27 »

Posh fans on the previous few games...
I can fully understand why people who have watched them will have been annoyed at the negative approach to all the games. As has been shown recently in the Premier league particularly the Man City v Leicester result, that the tippy tappy football that we tend to play, has been found out by sides that press and break quickly.

That will be us then.  Smiley

Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:56:43 »

They seem to think their going to win the league but can only afford to lose four more games all season

So, give no fucks
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:09:58 »

Forgot about his time as manager.
There's one more that played for and also coached at Peterborough and is also a TEFer.

JImmy Quinn
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:14:11 »

JImmy Quinn

I forgot about his time there and scored 25 goals in 49 games😁

So, give no fucks
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:42:23 »

2-2 pitman, payne.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Up