Poll
Question: If the worst were to happen and the club fold what would you do?
Give up on football entirely
Push for and support a phoenix club
Supermarine
Transfer to another non-league club
Transfer to another league club
Transfer to a PL club (you glory hunting twat!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If the worst were to happen  (Read 11350 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 05:21:28 »

Oxford for me, just up the road.
Valid Pint

« Reply #61 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 05:39:00 »

You can watch them at Bassett in the FA Cup this Saturday. But remember to get a ticket in advance in person.
You'll have to be in the home end though.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #62 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 06:06:58 »

Follow the yellow prick road  Grin

In that case I'm stuck with a choice of Bristol Rovers or FGR.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #63 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 06:17:15 »

Supporting a PL team is always a bit of an armchair experience for most. Imagine if you actually came from Liverpool or Manchester and they were your local side, but struggled to get match tickets because of ST holders from Hertfordshire.
Those cases are very few and far between and tbh when it happens it's because the season ticket has been passed down through the families. It is a known fact that when a liverpool fan dies they don't inform the club and keep it within the family
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 06:23:10 »

As a kid I had a fleeting liking for many different clubs for some reason, including: Coventry City, Spurs, Norwich, Man Utd, etc.

If the worst was to happen, i'd probably lose all interest in football.
If a Phoenix club was to emerge then maybe it might rekindle my interest.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:51:23 by Ginginho » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 07:31:03 »

I have never understood the affinity someone would show to a town or city club that they have absolutely no connection to, it's purely down to the "my team is better than your team" bollocks taken from childhood into adulthood. If that floats your boat then crack on.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 07:55:56 »

I get that but if you live somewhere that doesn’t have a professional team particularly close, like I did as a kid, you are probably naturally going to chose a big team as a kid you may have no connection to. When you reach adulthood you aren’t going to then stop supporting them.

I could have easily fallen into this trap as most of friends did, thankfully despite having zero link to Swindon my old man randomally took me to a Town game as a kid and the rest is history
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:23:47 »

As a kid I had a fleeting liking for many different clubs for some reason, including: Coventry City, Spurs, Norwich, Man Utd, etc.

If the worst was to happen, i'd probably lose all interest in football.
If a Phoenix club was to emerge then maybe it might rekindle my interest.

Think everyone has different reasons for initial attraction when they are very young, when I was a kid up to probably teens I had a thing for Chelsea, this was based upon nothing more than when I started primary school I had to have a football shirt to play football in and when we went to Giles in Carterton they only had Chelsea and Swansea in my size and my mum thought that blue would show the dirt less than white, plus I quite liked blue! No glory hunting there, they were generally sit in the 80's.

Then my old man (who did and still does follow Town without really following them since the late 40's) took me to a Swindon Chelsea Simod cup game and I really enjoyed it and the atmosphere as we were obviously in the home end and that was that (incidentally he also took me to see Oxford Chelsea at the Manor and I hated it!).

Its been town ever since, albeit had a couple of seasons regularly watching non-league (Gateshead and then Lancaster City) when I have lived in those places, I would probably continue that albeit we don't really have a local non-league side since Barrow hit the big time.

As for what I would do I am probably in a different boat to many insofar as I am 200 odd miles away and only see at best 2 games a season in northern outposts, thus the loss would be terrible but I suspect nowhere near as bad as it would be for those invested on a day by day or weekly local basis. I would support any phoenix club, who would still be my main club.

As for the PL Newcastle have been my second side since I lived up there albeit that is waining somewhat with the whining of theeir fans about not being able to be taken over by an oppressive regime!)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:30:28 »

Growing up in Scotland I got this a fair bit. Who do you support? "Swindon", but what premier/big team do you follow? "uh, I don't". I ended up vaguely following Aston Villa as my fake big team just as everyone else was supporting Man U. I've just never seen the attraction of just randomly picking a big team but each to their own.

That said, my Scottish team is Hearts and the only season I had a season ticket at Tynecastle they split the old firm in the league and won the Scottish Cup. So you could say I'm a glory hunter!

Nice piece here about the joy of Scottish football grounds, which applies pretty well across the border...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/01/the-joy-of-seeing-a-football-stadium-for-the-first-time

I couldn't support another club
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #69 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:34:32 »

Nice piece here about the joy of Scottish football grounds, which applies pretty well across the border...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/01/the-joy-of-seeing-a-football-stadium-for-the-first-time
I have visited every top 4 division grounds (and many Highland and Lowland grounds too) in Scotland, albeit not to actually watch games, I have only attended about 15 Scottish games in total.

The lower league grounds are on a par with the facilities at such places as Melksham or even Taunton.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:38:47 »

I have visited every top 4 division grounds (and many Highland and Lowland grounds too) in Scotland, albeit not to actually watch games, I have only attended about 15 Scottish games in total.

The lower league grounds are on a par with the facilities at such places as Melksham or even Taunton.

Even Ochilview?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #71 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:54:49 »

Even Ochilview?
Of course! my best mates wife comes from Larbert, not been inside there yet but have been there Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:58:18 »

Of course! my best mates wife comes from Larbert, not been inside there yet but have been there Smiley
You could have worded that a bit better!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:59:14 »

I went with a 'mate' from Wakefield who supported Berwick Rangers. I vaguely remember playing pool in the Stenhousemuir supporters clubs before the game. Friendly place.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #74 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:02:26 »

You could have worded that a bit better!
Oh I wouldnt want to go "inside" her Cheesy

I went with a 'mate' from Wakefield who supported Berwick Rangers. I vaguely remember playing pool in the Stenhousemuir supporters clubs before the game. Friendly place.
I actually like Falkirk, the place is a bit of a dump in the main but TBH when you get outside of Glasgow and some parts of Edinburgh the natives are actually a pretty friendly bunch, as I know you are well aware.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: