Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Burton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20291 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:11:36 »

As nobody else seems to want to start a thread here goes nothing.

Swindon have only ever played Burton 4 times previously, 2 home and 2 away.

We have only won once and lost the other 3 games, we have only ever scored in 1 match vs these boys from brewery town and that was in our only win, a 2-0 home win when Benson and the easily forgotten Ronan Murray scored.

We have played 2 games at the CG with it being split 50-50 wins and loses so far.

So far this season Burton have 2 draws and a defeat in the League Cup, lost 2-1 at Fleetwood and won at home 2-1 vs Accrington.

They sit mid table alongside Swindon on exactly the same points/goals/goal difference as us of 3 for and 3 against with 1 win 1 defeat so far.

Swindon 0-0 Burton.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:20:36 »

I’ll say 2-1 but I’m not confident in front of... oh yes! Oh well!!
Panda Paws

« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:23:44 »

They have big inury and suspension problems, including missing their first choice keeper (O'Hara, with whom we were linked with in the summer) and O'Toole, the sort of journeyman I always fear.

And we have our own injury issues too, with the usual caveat of RW being an absolute shithouse.

Assuming RW is telling the truth, I'd go with:

Kovar
Caddis Baudry Fryers Hunt
            Grant Smith (M)
   Payne       DJ          Smith (T)
               Pitman

Spots on the bench for the new boys - Stevens and Donahue. Hopefully have AO back as defensive cover over Curran.

If Johnny is fit, put him in for Payne.

We'll edge this. Kovar will have a good game and we'll knick it after a keeper error from their back up.

2-1
« Last Edit: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:35:19 by Panda Paws » Logged
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:29:37 »

Think you could be right with Pitman starting, Wellens on the last TOTT commenting on getting balls in the box made me think that.

I'm going for 2-0 as I think the defence will be better prepared after all having good minutes in them and I always fancy us to score.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:33:19 »

I might actually buy a pass and watch this...
Panda Paws

« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:34:26 »

Think you could be right with Pitman starting, Wellens on the last TOTT commenting on getting balls in the box made me think that.

I'm going for 2-0 as I think the defence will be better prepared after all having good minutes in them and I always fancy us to score.

Yep - interested to put T Smith in as a wide forward.

Hallam Hope is pushing for a start too. Wouldn't be annoyed to see him get the nod if J Smith doesn't make it, but dropping Tyler would be harsh.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:50:42 »

Burton play a style reminiscent of Flitcroft or Curle at Northampton but not as direct as Wycombe, very hard working workmanlike without relying on skill players, they play the ball long to the big forward line whenever they can do.

They have a lot of journeyman players in the team, the shithousery of Bostwick will bully us if we let him, they only have pace on the wings so I expect them to sit back and let us take the game to them, something we do quite well, we have got better at breaking down sides.

On the Burton injuries..
JAKE Buxton’s squad will remain depleted by injuries and suspensions this weekend, but the Burton Albion manager is seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

With another week before Albion play Portsmouth, if the Brewers can negotiate a tricky away day at Swindon on Saturday (kick off 3pm) they should have more numbers by the time they play again.

Buxton said: “We knew it was going to be a difficult two weeks but hopefully after this weekend things will ease a little.”

Defender John-Joe O’Toole and goalkeeper Kieran O’Hara will both complete their suspensions on Saturday making at least two more players available by the time Albion take on Portsmouth on October 3.

And the injured members of the squad, including Charles Vernam, Reece Hutchinson, Michael Bostwick and Neal Eardley are all making progress with Vernam possiblly making Saturday’s squad.

Buxton said: “It’s touch and go for the weekend for a couple of them but it’s more likely to have one or two back for the week after.

“Charles has done a little bit today but was sore still and if there is any reaction tomorrow, he won’t be involved. He’s probably 50-50 at the minute.

“The lads are taking a little bit longer than normal to recover from games than before the pandemic as the repetition of Saturday-Tuesday games has been tough following such a long lay-off so the injuries had to be expected. But they are what they are, and we get on with it. Injuries are part and parcel of football.

“We have been positive every week from day one but the added touch of getting the first three points on the board made it special for the group this week. They believe in how we are trying to play and what we are trying to do and believe that what we are telling them will result in them winning games.”

I fully expect them to field a full side despite what the manager says, excluding the banned players of course. I have a feeling he is trying to "out Wellens" Richie.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:52:04 »

Would be content with a score draw. A one nil defeat looks likely in my view.

Hope should get an opportunity to start.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:53:53 »

3 points, please.
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:27:48 »

2-0, first clean sheet as Kovar proves himself to be an able replacement for the BFG

No one kills a thread like me....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 16:48:52 »

Cheltenham v Grimsby off tomorrow due a positive test in the Grimsby squad. Their game v Bradford next week, too.

It’s all starting to unravel.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 16:51:03 »

Cheltenham v Grimsby off tomorrow due a positive test in the Grimsby squad. Their game v Bradford next week, too.

I would be surprised if we go all season without all leagues being suspended

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 16:56:36 »

There has to be mandatory weekly testing of all EFL squads, as in the Premier League, to avoid the season descending into chaos. The problem is EFL clubs can't afford it, esp in L1 and L2.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 18:34:29 »

There has to be mandatory weekly testing of all EFL squads, as in the Premier League, to avoid the season descending into chaos. The problem is EFL clubs can't afford it, esp in L1 and L2.
Shit the bed..I'd assumed that had to be happening already. Time for a few mil to start trickling down from the PL...not as if they'd miss it FFS...
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 19:18:45 »

I was amazed to find out testing wasnt mandatory
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: