Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grant Smith  (Read 4564 times)
byax6

« on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 00:08:41 »

Cheesy What a hero, brought into the side, scores two, plays in many different positions throughout the game, plays well[by the sounds of it]! Maybe a bit too honest during the post match interview though! Give him a run in the side for christs sake, its what he deserves.
Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 00:39:26 »

King "he's in for sheffield wednesday"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 00:47:35 »

He was in for the Wendys at home, played the telling pass that set up our winning goal......and was left out for the next match.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 07:03:29 »

I think he flatters to deceive somewhat, he always makes a good first impression but when he is given a chance he doesn't perform.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 10:40:56 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
I think he flatters to deceive somewhat, he always makes a good first impression but when he is given a chance he doesn't perform.

But surely thats the problem with Grant Smith - He's never been given a chance has he? What's his longest run in the side?  Three games if that.  Look at some of the best players this club has had:

Jan Aage Fjortoft is probably the best example, it took him half a season to get going (I'm not saying Smith should get anywhere near that many chances)

Duncan Shearer took a while to get going as well and there are many more examples.

More recently, look at Steve Mildenhall. Kingy stuck with him though some dodgy times and he ended up looking a reasonable keeper.

Smith has never had a decent crack of the whip IMO.  He's been dumped as soon as he has made a mistake.  On that basis, Garrard should be on the scrap heap judging by yesterday's performance, he won't be though and it is only right that he gets further chances.  All players should be given a level playing field to perform on though and that has not happened with GS.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 10:44:50 »

I agree with you OST,

I don't think he is a bad player at all and needs a proper chance to prove his worth.  He is good coming forward and he has a good brain, he creates some good chances for us.  He also doesn't bottle tackles.
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 11:22:53 »

Yep, I think everybody here, myself included, have been saying for some time the poor bloke needs a chance - and when I say chance, I don't mean in for one game, and then out for the next.

Every time I've seen him I've thought he looked impressive - but yet he never seems to last in the side.

From memory, he's played three of the biggest games for the club over the past year - the two Brighton games and Leeds in the cup.  He did well in all three, although was unlucky for the deflection in the first Brighton game.

Also, as Reg pointed out, played his part against Sheffield Wednesday.

I rather get the impression that even if he slipped Kingy a brown paper bag stuff full of £50s he wouldn't last in the side.
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 12:07:57 »

sorry but two goals isn't going to change my opinion of him. i've seen him in all of our home reserve games aswell and still think he would struggle for a place on the bench if all our players are fit.

like sonic said he flatters to decieve. he's immobile, not much pace, slow in making decisions. opposition players stroll past him because he always dives in to tackles. he's unable to go players aswell.

ok, im being unfair on him because he has some useful qualities aswell but i think miglioranzi, howard, igoe, hewlett and duke would get in my midfeild ahead of him.

oh how i wish he would completely prove me wrong though,good midfeilders are usually what see teams get out of this league.
QPR- rowlands, bircham....plymouth- friio, norris....wigan- teale etc etc.
and with howard not coming close to last season's form and turbo seemingly all but gone it might be smith's chance to cement a place in our midfeild. i really do hope so.

officially blacker than the night.
Piemonte

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 12:18:17 »

I'm with Decks on this one.  He deserves another chance in the side after yesterdays performance but i dont really think he's any good and wouldnt get near our staring XI if all players are fit and in form
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 13:33:16 »

I've always thought he's been a massively under-rated player....lets just hope he gets a run in the side for a few games at least!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 19:11:29 »

Quote from: "decks-e-tow"
sorry but two goals isn't going to change my opinion of him. i've seen him in all of our home reserve games aswell and still think he would struggle for a place on the bench if all our players are fit.

So the hat-trick against the City reserves means nothing to you then?

He had a damn good game there - best player on the pitch by some distance.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 19:17:00 »

I would have thought two goals and a good performance in the first team makes whatever he's done in the stiffs pretty much irrelevant anyway!

In any case, Kingy says he's got to do it all again at Hillsbrough, which means that if he doesn't score two goals he's dropped!
DMR

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 19:27:03 »

I don't think Smith is great tbh

No pace or skill, just decent with a dead ball

Useful squaddie
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 12:44:41 »

I'd give him a chance, especially as he's just scored two goals, but I really have my doubts that he'd perform consistently well to merit a place in the first team over a season.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 13:21:51 »

The loss of Miglioranzi was an enormous one, and in my opinion had he avoided injury we'd be in the top six now.  However, as it stands he's on the route to recovery but I still reckon he's a good month off returning.  King has plugged the gap with a variety of techniques, none of which have really worked.  Howard in the middle for me just doesn't work as Howard does not offer the same level of defensive cover Miglioranzi does, coupled with the fact he is unlikely to turn a player in the middle of the park and play a glorious through ball for Parkin to run on to.

For me, Smith has this ability - he's a poor man's Miglioranzi if you like.  King is always bleating on about how small a squad he's got, yet never maximises it to its full potential, often chosing to consistently leave the same players out, when many, Smith included are capable of doing a job.  With all players fit, I do not think Smith could make the first team, or maybe even the bench for that matter, but with the depleted midfield we have at the moment and Turbo whinging about wanting to leave, I reckon he's definitely worth a run in the team - at least until Miglioranzi gets back.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: