Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Charlton Athletic pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 28871 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:04:17 »

Didn't see the game (wife got her, thankfully negative, covid results so we went out), but came back to a defeat and bloody pages on here.

Can some one summarise;
Are we not very good
Have we got too excited
Should I hit the panic button
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:09:08 »

We looked to move the ball very quickly - maybe too quickly at times - looked very slick a few times.

Still susceptible to the simple ball knocked into the box.

When the squad is completed and up to speed we’ll be just dandy.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:10:22 »

Didn't see the game (wife got her, thankfully negative, covid results so we went out), but came back to a defeat and bloody pages on here.

Can some one summarise;
Are we not very good
Have we got too excited

Yes. No. No. No.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #558 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:26:46 »

Pretty much what Aud says, we passed it around well at times, still look weak in defence, didn't create as many decent chances in front of goal as normal though.

We were the better team until they scored and were the better team in the 2nd half until they scored their 2nd, after both those goals though our heads dropped.

The goal by J Smith is an absolute cracker but we didn't utilise him enough persisting in attacking down the left when he was playing right wing. Jonny is a real gem IMO.

Payne looks good but frustrates as much as he looks good.

Too many long passes never got near their intended target.

The keeper looks decent, comes out and collects a few crosses, has good handling and great distribution, only fault was being beat at his near post from close in, but it was a great finish so can't really fault him too much for that.

Grant played well, was partly at fault for the 2nd goal not being close enough to his man but Grant did what Grant does. Doughty looked unfit to me and a lot of his passes never got where they were intended but he did ok but nowhere near his best.

DJ nowhere near his best, ran into a few brick walls but had 1 decent shot go just wide, Tyler Smith looks eager to run and fast with good control but he didn't get much service as most of the balls played long to him for him to chase were way too hard, he looked as good as Yates to me.

In defence Odimayo did ok for his 1st team debut, hes quick but his positioning needs some work, but he was up against a couple of very good strikers for this level in Bonne and Aneke.

Lyden ran around a lot but with little end product but did what he does, mixes the play up but then got injured again and had to go off.

Hunt did little wrong at all and never really lets us down, Fryers long passing was at times woeful and he was also at fault for a couple of the goals, Iandolo was what he always is, better attacking than defending.

Hope and Pitman came on but neither could impact on the game with little service.

Not great but by no means awful, lots of positives but we need to create more and defend better....sounds simple but obviously isn't.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:28:46 »

Can some one summarise;
Are we not very good
Have we got too excited

1.   Too many imponderables to tell yet
2.   Not sure who we is
3. The alarm bell always comes before the panic button.... see 1.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:38:14 »

1.   Too many imponderables to tell yet
2.   Not sure who we is
3. The alarm bell always comes before the panic button.... see 1.

I think we need to be very wary that the last time Wellens managed at this level, he was relegated. Add to that the off field ownership saga and losing 3/4 very important players, I think our priority this season should be to stay above the dotted line.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:48:28 »

I think we need to be very wary that the last time Wellens managed at this level, he was relegated. Add to that the off field ownership saga and losing 3/4 very important players, I think our priority this season should be to stay above the dotted line.
Jeez!
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:54:36 »

Come on, Quagmire - that’s a bit harsh about Wellens!
There are just too many imponderables (Go Reg!) about why his team were relegated and ffs we haven’t really started yet and here you are pointing fingers already!
I don’t know exactly what you think RW has done wrong - he’s assembling what looks to me like a pretty good squad, on a limited budget and should be supported not knocked back.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:55:25 »

Can we move on please?  Don’t we have a game tomorrow that we can talk about? Cheesy

Good point Jed, perhaps you could book 'em?
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:56:04 »

PV’s summary is pretty accurate from my view of the game, although I’d differ slightly on two points
odimayo - whilst tidy on the ground he was caught out of position a couple of times, and more importantly he got bullied by the big striker after Charlton made that substitution. My concern with him is he won’t win enough in the air making us vulnerable defending set pieces (and we do tend to concede free kicks in the areas between centre circle and penalty area which provide opportunities for high balls put into our box - this has been a problem for 2-3 seasons)
Tyler Smith - based on Saturday (and I think we need a few games before writing players off as not good enough) - I don’t think his hold up and linking play will be as good as Yates. Some on here underestimated how important Yates was to our playing style last year, and Tyler’s rather slight physique will mean he has different strengths. hopefully RW will adapt the style of play accordingly.

No need to panic or be alarmed yet, but don’t get too optimistic either. Assuming we get the right signings before the window closes, my guess is top 10, possibly play offs if we have a good run at the right time.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:57:42 »

I felt that Doughty was trying too hard to impress and ended up getting a lot of things wrong, in defence we missed Baudry as Fryers isn't ready to be the senior CB alongside such a young debutant.  Think we'll be fine once up and running.
Flashheart

« Reply #566 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 09:58:18 »

I neither watched nor listened to the game, but that starting defence tells me Wellens was treating it as a friendly like he said he would.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 10:20:35 »

I'd agree with most of PV's asessment,

In defence Odimayo did ok for his 1st team debut, hes quick but his positioning needs some work, but he was up against a couple of very good strikers for this level in Bonne and Aneke.

He looked well off the pace to me, and just positionally suspect.

But he's a young lad making his debut. He played OK against Coventry and he's not first choice.
Hopefully he'll settle and become a useful asset.

but he was up against a couple of very good strikers for this level in Bonne and Aneke.

very true

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 10:22:19 »

I am pretty sure quagmire is ‘mocking’ Reg a little with his comments guys.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #569 on: Monday, September 7, 2020, 10:35:50 »

I'd agree with most of PV's asessment,

He looked well off the pace to me, and just positionally suspect.

But he's a young lad making his debut. He played OK against Coventry and he's not first choice.
Hopefully he'll settle and become a useful asset.

very true

I was judging him by it being his first ever appearance in the professional game, I was trying to not be too hard on him, its a massive jump coming from U23s straight into the 1st team against 2 very strong strikers.

He was still better than both Lancashire and Robertson put together but yes of course was not at the required level for our first team as yet.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: