Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Charlton Athletic pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 29378 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #525 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 10:37:59 »

So seeing as you referenced me directly i'll exercise my right to reply :-)

Firstly you are entitled to do as you wish and i agree that the radio commentary does indeed ramble  off topic. It's highlighted more when they link it to the Ifollow stream as the supporter can see for themselves although it must be difficult because presumably there are both radio and streaming viewers tuned in.

Your updates don't upset me as you suggest i just point out, generally after the home games I've attended, where your opinion which you offer up is obviously wrong in order to give a balance.

IMHO Iandolo gets all his negative actions highlighted whereas you often skip over or give less coverage to other players.

I've often found Journalists can be biased and one sided.

Sorry if you find the responses not to your liking
Not at all, everyone is entitled to an opinion and I am more than aware I hold a different opinion to many on here.

You seem to think I pick on Iandolo, this is not true, I would love Iandolo to be a decent player but although he is ok going forwards he is not a wingback/fullback, something that probably 90% of posters on here agree with.

I only mention his flaws when they put us into danger, I also post when he does something well too but you appear to skip over those, read the thread and you will see that.

FWIW I think Iandolo could be usefull in the team if played in a position that suits him, which is not fullback and never will be, hes a winger, but I am also aware the that we had no other fit player there yesterday and he was the only available player to fill that gap in the team with Donohue being in the process of signing and Caddis being somewhat away from fitness.

You cannot deny that Iandolo was at fault directly the for the Bonne goal, thats blatant but he was stood behind the man he was marking for the header for the 2nd goal too, nowhere near the header in the box as he put it accross for the scorer, and then for the 3rd goal he was further up field ahead of Aneke as the ball was passed to him as he scored, his defensive positioning was very poor for all 3 goals.

That is not entirely his fault as thats not his natural position but it does highlight that we currently do not have enough decent cover at the back. Yes when Caddis is fit and Donohue signs then that won't be so much of an issue as he won't play there unless we are desperate, which yesterday we were.

As an attacking option, I think Iandolo is a decent player, as a defender he is not.

I hope this does not feel to you like I am picking on Iandolo, he was not the only defender who was poor yesterday as Fryers and Odimayo both made mistakes that contributed to the goals as well.

Sorry if you find this response not to your liking Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #526 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 11:14:42 »

Fans opinions on a player's position amuse me. Iandolo is a left back. He'll be back up to Donahue. You can tell this because that's where RW plays him.

Same as Fryers. Drives me mad when people put their ideal 11 or squad analysis or whatever and have him as a LB. He's a CB. RW has stated this numerous times.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #527 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 11:20:21 »

Fans opinions on a player's position amuse me. Iandolo is a left back. He'll be back up to Donahue. You can tell this because that's where RW plays him.

Same as Fryers. Drives me mad when people put their ideal 11 or squad analysis or whatever and have him as a LB. He's a CB. RW has stated this numerous times.

To quote yourself.

People are allowed opinions that are different from the consensus, in either direction.

Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 11:49:40 »

At least we won't have to endure Iandolo at LB much this coming season. Defence was poor apart from Hunt, keeper looks a good replacement for BFG.

Game was basically a friendly so not overly bothered but that defence does bother me if we go into the season with that back 4.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 11:55:47 »

At least we won't have to endure Iandolo at LB much this coming season. Defence was poor apart from Hunt, keeper looks a good replacement for BFG.

Game was basically a friendly so not overly bothered but that defence does bother me if we go into the season with that back 4.

Plenty of negative comments in the Adver Wellens picked the the wrong team etc but don't they realise that we have three centre halves not fit/injured and Donohue to come into the squad in a week or so. Also I'm sure wellens will be looking for a powerful centre half before the window closes  
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:23:03 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:12:09 »

It’s impossible to disagree with those who say that this player or that player had a poor game or was at fault etc etc.  However, as I said soon after the game yesterday, the team as a whole was clearly a work in progress, and individual shortcomings are almost inevitable in that sort of situation.  The defence was not functioning as a unit, and frankly neither was midfield, nor the forward line for that matter. The most glaring failure was the lack of any understanding between defence and midfield, laid bare by Charlton’s second goal, where as the ball went into the net Grant was looking like a lost soul surrounded by empty spaces where defenders should have been.

Yes there were positives - Kovar looks like a real find, and his coolness with his feet is either scary or brilliant (further matches will sort out which, but for now I’ll go for brilliant.  Good use of throws out too.  I like him already!  Jonny S was also exceptional and it’s telling that his goal owed very little to any of his teammates.  Another Wellens gem, I think.

Let’s not be too negative - Wellens did say very clearly that he regarded yesterday as part of the preparations for the season, and we’ve got plenty of proven quality getting ready to return to the team.  Most importantly, though, wasn’t it great to see the team back on the pitch playing a real match?  COYR.
 Smiley Smiley
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:14:29 »

It’s impossible to disagree with those who say that this player or that player had a poor game or was at fault etc etc.  However, as I said soon after the game yesterday, the team as a whole was clearly a work in progress, and individual shortcomings are almost inevitable in that sort of situation.  The defence was not functioning as a unit, and frankly neither was midfield, nor the forward line for that matter. The most glaring failure was the lack of any understanding between defence and midfield, laid bare by Charlton’s second goal, where as the ball went into the net Grant was looking like a lost soul surrounded by empty spaces where defenders should have been.

Yes there were positives - Kovar looks like a real find, and his coolness with his feet is either scary or brilliant (further matches will sort out which, but for now I’ll go for brilliant.  Good use of throws out too.  I like him already!  Jonny S was also exceptional and it’s telling that his goal owed very little to any of his teammates.  Another Wellens gem, I think.

Let’s not be too negative - Wellens did say very clearly that he regarded yesterday as part of the preparations for the season, and we’ve got plenty of proven quality getting ready to return to the team.  Most importantly, though, wasn’t it great to see the team back on the pitch playing a real match?  COYR.
 Smiley Smiley

As you say Geoff it's early days and the team is work in progress but still a few good signs yesterday

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #532 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:27:46 »

I think there were a lot of positives yesterday as I posted straight after the game.

The defence did concern me as it was too easy at times for Charlton, and we are now up against a far better quality of footballer than last season it shows up any deficiency we have in the team.

That said it was definately not our full first team as almost half are unavailable still due to fitness issues, Conroy, Caddis, Pitman, Donohue, Broadbent would all probably be ahead of the ones that played in their positions and 4/5 of those being defenders.

I think with a few extra bodies we will still be more than competitive in this division, bear in mind as well that most of the Charlton team were playing 2 divisions higher than us only a few months ago.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:32:52 »

I think there were a lot of positives yesterday as I posted straight after the game.

The defence did concern me as it was too easy at times for Charlton, and we are now up against a far better quality of footballer than last season it shows up any deficiency we have in the team.

That said it was definately not our full first team as almost half are unavailable still due to fitness issues, Conroy, Caddis, Pitman, Donohue, Broadbent would all probably be ahead of the ones that played in their positions and 4/5 of those being defenders.

I think with a few extra bodies we will still be more than competitive in this division, bear in mind as well that most of the Charlton team were playing 2 divisions higher than us only a few months ago.

Good points you make also I wasn't expecting anything less don Charlton despite what we were reading during the week about lack of players. They've always been competitive, pacy and strong and with many having played in the championship were always going to be decent

So, give no fucks
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:33:34 »

Well after reading back, the performance couldn't have been that bad if the main point of contention on here seems to be JJ's commentary..  we do have some posters now with strange priorities it seems..

The line that made me chuckle was "your opinion which you offer up is obviously wrong"..  isn't the whole point of an opinion is that it is correct in the eye of the beholder?

I've said it before and i'll say it again - opinions are like arseholes and are exactly what forums are for, however posters should just stop getting so emotional about other posters having them.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:42:18 »

Well after reading back, the performance couldn't have been that bad if the main point of contention on here seems to be JJ's commentary..  we do have some posters now with strange priorities it seems..

The line that made me chuckle was "your opinion which you offer up is obviously wrong"..  isn't the whole point of an opinion is that it is correct in the eye of the beholder?

I've said it before and i'll say it again - opinions are like arseholes and are exactly what forums are for, however posters should just stop getting so emotional about other posters having them.

Well said Berniman.  Your photo (if indeed that is you) matches your comment perfectly - pissed off and frustrated!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 12:59:10 »

There's nothing wrong with contrasting opinions as long as the opinions offered are seemed to be based on some sort of thought or perhaps the weighing of the sort of evidence available to fans.  It becomes a problem when the opinions offered seem to be the sort of SRK style, first thing that comes into te head after a temporary removal of the aluminium foil helmet.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 13:06:54 »

There's nothing wrong with contrasting opinions as long as the opinions offered are seemed to be based on some sort of thought or perhaps the weighing of the sort of evidence available to fans.  It becomes a problem when the opinions offered seem to be the sort of SRK style, first thing that comes into te head after a temporary removal of the aluminium foil helmet.

Made I chuckle, Reg!
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 14:16:40 »

You don't have to agree with an opinion, just respect an opinion without getting on a high horse every time (not aimed at your Reggie).  Anyone who doesn't think that JJ's opinions are not based on sound thought or weighing up of evidence, doesn't take notice of posts that he makes.  He provides more stats and background to his posts than any other poster on here that shows his posts come from an informed position, whether i agree with them all of the time or not.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Sunday, September 6, 2020, 14:19:02 »

Well said Berniman.  Your photo (if indeed that is you) matches your comment perfectly - pissed off and frustrated!

Cheesy  No that is not me..  although i do have similar reactions to this guy when reading some of the posts on here

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: