Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: City friendly  (Read 16297 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #165 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:37:00 »

Did he shine against us at home do Oldham
He did play, he looked fairly handy from what I remember because I was told by a slavetrader mate to look out for him because he would tear us a new one if we allowed him to, but Oldham didn't create much all game against us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:40:36 »

He did play, he looked fairly handy from what I remember because I was told by a slavetrader mate to look out for him because he would tear us a new one if we allowed him to, but Oldham didn't create much all game against us.

Cheers Pete

So, give no fucks
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:44:41 »

As is often the case on here, reality is somewhat different to what is posted.  The Don is still highly regarded by Palace fans of a certain age....
I don’t know what you’re getting at, Reg.  I most certainly wasn’t being negative about Rogers.  What I meant was that at the level Swindon were playing at, opposing teams just couldn’t live with him when he turned it on.  They used to put two men on him just in case and that merely opened up spaces elsewhere, so even a quiet Don Rogers was making an important contribution. Against better opposition (and I saw him play twice for Palace), he was up against more capable defenders, and he usually had one stuck to him like glue.  This reduced his effectiveness even though his on-the-ball skills were second to none.  He’s still my hero!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #168 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:48:47 »

Cheers Pete
No problem Smiley

Here are the highlights, he makes a couple of decent passes but otherwise Oldham created little of note.

Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:49:28 »

Smith looks like he could be deadly from those highlights. Good dribbling, crossing and shooting. Give some full backs a torrid afternoon.

Edited to add: reminded me of a budget Mahrez.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:51:35 by Super Hans » Logged
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:51:23 »

Smith looks like he could be deadly from those highlights. Good dribbling, crossing and shooting. Give some full backs a torrid afternoon.
Sort of an Isgrove++
Peter Venkman

« Reply #171 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 13:57:02 »

Edited to add: reminded me of a budget Mahrez.
The way he cuts inside and lets loose a left foot shot from the right reminds me a lot of Matt Ritchie too.

Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 14:26:32 »

Go Jonny Smith!  I think we’re impressed. COYR
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 14:29:06 »

The way he cuts inside and lets loose a left foot shot from the right reminds me a lot of Matt Ritchie too.

I was thinking more Riyad Mahrez😁

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #174 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 14:30:41 »

I was thinking more Riyad Mahrez😁
Matt Ritchie is better than him Wink

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 14:55:38 »

ok, just realised the city goals are up, lazy not reading back ..

good finish by Payne wasn't it. not quite how the Bristol post (or whatever) reported it Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 14:56:54 »

Quote from: JBZ
As mentioned previously, I am a fan of the kit worn by the home team.

Barney the dinosaur fan?
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, August 31, 2020, 15:01:04 »

ok, just realised the city goals are up, lazy not reading back ..

good finish by Payne wasn't it. not quite how the Bristol post (or whatever) reported it Smiley
Thank fuck it wasn't Roger Malone
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2020, 10:22:04 »

I don’t know what you’re getting at, Reg.  I most certainly wasn’t being negative about Rogers.  What I meant was that at the level Swindon were playing at, opposing teams just couldn’t live with him when he turned it on.  They used to put two men on him just in case and that merely opened up spaces elsewhere, so even a quiet Don Rogers was making an important contribution. Against better opposition (and I saw him play twice for Palace), he was up against more capable defenders, and he usually had one stuck to him like glue.  This reduced his effectiveness even though his on-the-ball skills were second to none.  He’s still my hero!
He did drift out of games and it was said at the time that he didn't always show up away from home.  Obviously overlooking his threat on such days could be costly, so covering and marking him would always be a relative priority for opponents. 

Paul Reaney of the great Leeds side shut him up in an FAC 1/4 final at the CG once.

But he was discovered rather than found out at the top level, Geoff.  He scored 15 goals in 35 appearances as a winger in the top flight (to add to the 7 he had already scored for Town in 16 in the second tier).  It wasn't just the goals that continued as before however.  The Don's performances generated such excitement on a now national stage that there were tabloid calls for his England selection.  He remains a cult hero with older Palace fans to this day.

He won "goal of the season" but his performance against Man Utd was perhaps the epitome of the excitement he generated. 

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2020, 10:35:48 »

Matt Ritchie is better than him Wink

But earns less money 🤣

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: