Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: City friendly  (Read 16702 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #105 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 09:08:14 »

Our goal was far better than their goal, they managed to scramble in a goal and we crafted one with a sublime finish from Payne, seeing the keeper slightly off his line and chipping it in.

I know the Slavers had a couple of players missing but thats a decent result again a strong Shitty side.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 09:43:14 »

Our goal was far better than their goal, they managed to scramble in a goal and we crafted one with a sublime finish from Payne, seeing the keeper slightly off his line and chipping it in.

I know the Slavers had a couple of players missing but thats a decent result again a strong Shitty side.
I'm sure that will have been the case with our side as well when we see the starting line up on 12/9..
Peter Venkman

« Reply #107 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 09:54:24 »

I'm sure that will have been the case with our side as well when we see the starting line up on 12/9..
Oh I am sure we will, next weekend will give us a clue of how we really are shaping up against a struggling Charlton side who are having some huge problems in recruiting new players.

Charltons frienly from yesterday, acres of space in that defence a lot of the time, yes Palace are decent but there are more holes than Swiss cheese.

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 09:56:37 »

But, as suggested elsewhere, there is perhaps only so much you can take from friendly fixtures.

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman

« Reply #109 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 10:07:49 »

But, as suggested elsewhere, there is perhaps only so much you can take from friendly fixtures.
Thanks for you input.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 10:13:46 »

I'm sure that's the invisible asterisk that everyone puts next to any comments they make about pre-season...i.e. "it's only pre-season but"...everyone knows that but they're still going to pass comment about team selection and individual and team performances.

Yes, "it's only pre-season" and not too much should be read into it but it's not totally meaningless either.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 10:32:46 »

I'm sure that's the invisible asterisk that everyone puts next to any comments they make about pre-season...i.e. "it's only pre-season but"...everyone knows that but they're still going to pass comment about team selection and individual and team performances.

Yes, "it's only pre-season" and not too much should be read into it but it's not totally meaningless either.

Yes and, as suggested on other threads, it will be interesting to see whether the pre season will have any impact on first team selection.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 15:07:52 »

Nahhh, we will tear a new one out of every team in L1 in the season  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:43:51 »

City 1 Swindon 0

Bit of a tangent, so pls bear with me. But I hate this. Calling Bristol City 'City' & us 'Swindon' feels all wrong to me. The 'City' bit implies familiarity...as in, there is only one City. Forget Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull. The only 'City' that matters is Bristol. Referring to BCFC as simply 'City' feels (to me, anyway) like you're being pally with them.

And by contrast, we're 'Swindon' and not 'Town'. I just don't like it. Am I completely alone here? We had a friendly game a few yrs ago vs Southampton and posters in the matchday thread consistently called them 'Saints'. Drove me nuts. But must be just me, I expect.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:48:20 by Ardiles » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:47:23 »

Appreciate that we're distinguishing them with Bristol Rovers, but I still don't like it. Bristol City, for me. They're nothing special.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:47:52 »

Bit of a tangent, so pls bear with me. But I hate this. Calling Bristol City 'City' & us 'Swindon' feels all wrong to me. The 'City' bit implies familiarity...as in, there is only one City. Forget Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull. The only 'City' that matters is Bristol. Referring to BCFC as simply 'City' feels (to me, anyway) like you're being pally with them.

And by contrast, we're 'Swindon' and not 'Town'. I just don't like it. Am I completely alone here? We had friendly game a few yrs ago vs Southampton and posters in the matchday thread consistently called them 'Saints'. Drove me nuts. But must be just me, I expect.

Calling them City sounds wrong but acceptable compaired to slave traders

So, give no fucks
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:52:45 »

And by contrast, we're 'Swindon' and not 'Town'. I just don't like it. Am I completely alone here? We had a friendly game a few yrs ago vs Southampton and posters in the matchday thread consistently called them 'Saints'. Drove me nuts. But must be just me, I expect.

You're definitely over thinking it but then it annoys me when Swindon fans predict Oxford to do well. There's been a couple I've seen on here putting them in a season accumulator to get promoted which irrationally winds me up, probably in a similar way to what you describe.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:54:32 »

Appreciate that we're distinguishing them with Bristol Rovers, but I still don't like it. Bristol City, for me. They're nothing special.

I agree with the wider principle, but I'm okay with City vs. Town when it's clearly within a thread about a game between Bristol City and Swindon Town!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:56:38 »

Agree completely...

Calling them City sounds wrong but acceptable compaired to slave traders
Slave Traders is perfect...
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 19:57:10 »

I agree with you except for this bit when talking about the team we support. I know it is hypocritical to say but it is "jovial hypocrisy" I guess?! I know that doesn't make it technically correct but to me there really is only one "Town".

I agree though that when talking about another team or if both teams are totally impartial to me, then they are <<ins full team name>>. Mind you, sometimes I'll just give them a totally different name, usually a metaphorical one...something like Polaris Boars (have fun working that one out) or Shoemaker FC.

Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: