Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cheap runaround  (Read 3129 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 09:41:22 »

Having not owned a car since I left Luxembourg in 2016 ish and now as part of project 'leaving London and moving out to somewhere a bit more rural' we will be looking to buy a car. I know there are a few car buffs on here so wanted to get some ideas. The 'wishlist is'

* Nothing fancy - Will be being used for a runaround so don't mind a few dents and scrapes
* Cheap to run and insure
* Probably something mid-size would be useful, in case of needing to shift some items from London to wherever we are looking to move to
* Budget I guess between £1,500-£4,000 max.
* Eventually we hope to have a car each and so this would be the cheap and cheerful runabout to use to go to the shops and park at the train station.

Any suggestions appreciated.   

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 09:59:02 »

No suggestions on cars. Someone who sniffs petrol will better advise.

But what you may not know is that you can find the MOT history online these days, which may help when you narrow down some makes/models.

see https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:02:30 »

Honda Civic 1.8 petrol, comfy, good size and very reliable. You can get a 2010/11 plate for £2.5k
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:21:57 »

Honda Civic 1.8 petrol, comfy, good size and very reliable. You can get a 2010/11 plate for £2.5k
Can you? Where from? Looking around Swindon for that age (which bear in mind is now 10 years old) you'd looking at top end of BO's budget.

The best Civic 1.8 petrol i can find withing 60miles of Swindon is a 56/07 plate with 100k+ miles.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:24:41 »

Nissan Micra.  Mine is fifteen years old and has been extremely reliable as a cheap runaround with good boot space and folding back seats. I am the antithesis of a "car buff" so take no notice.

ust be the oldest
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:30:00 »

Not exactly exciting cars but you could do a lot worse that a ford focus. I've had a 1.6 Zetec S in the past and never had any issues. Comfortable, decent size boot.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:30:19 »

Can you? Where from? Looking around Swindon for that age (which bear in mind is now 10 years old) you'd looking at top end of BO's budget.

The best Civic 1.8 petrol i can find withing 60miles of Swindon is a 56/07 plate with 100k+ miles.

There's a 61 plate in Greenwich on gumtree for £2,699
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:38:04 »

This might seem like a silly question but now does No Claims Discount work?

So I used to drive a fair amount in Edinburgh after I passed my driving test (around 97/98 ish) and also had a car in Luxembourg and have never had an Insurance claim. I haven't driven since 2016

What would I enter in that question as my NCD? Would it be 17/18 years or 20 years+, or something different. I have no paperwork historically but assume i'm on some records somewhere if insurers require confirmation?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:41:13 »

Nissan Micra.  Mine is fifteen years old and has been extremely reliable as a cheap runaround with good boot space and folding back seats. I am the antithesis of a "car buff" so take no notice.

I learned to drive in a Nissan Micra! Thanks for the recommendation, as I stated, it doesn't have to be fancy and I'm not going to be a car snob for these purposes so happy to drive whatever it looks like! Smiley

Not exactly exciting cars but you could do a lot worse that a ford focus. I've had a 1.6 Zetec S in the past and never had any issues. Comfortable, decent size boot.

I had a Focus ST170 in Edinburgh. Nice car. Certainly more than happy to go sensible and a Focus probably would fit the bill!

There's a 61 plate in Greenwich on gumtree for £2,699

I've been looking in London, where I guess the cars (as with everything in the bloody city) are more expensive. Maybe its worth me buying outside of London?

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:44:13 »

This might seem like a silly question but now does No Claims Discount work?

So I used to drive a fair amount in Edinburgh after I passed my driving test (around 97/98 ish) and also had a car in Luxembourg and have never had an Insurance claim. I haven't driven since 2016

What would I enter in that question as my NCD? Would it be 17/18 years or 20 years+, or something different. I have no paperwork historically but assume i'm on some records somewhere if insurers require confirmation?

No claims discount resets to zero if you've been off the road/uninsured for 2 years.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:50:21 »

No claims discount resets to zero if you've been off the road/uninsured for 2 years.

Ah! Thanks SP. Bit of a bugger that, added about £200 of insurance onto a random Civic I picked out from AutoTrader.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 11:07:04 by Bob's Orange » Logged

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 11:04:08 »

Prices always seem to be higher around Swindon and North Wilts, I would say London will be cheaper.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 11:04:21 »

Honda Jazz

Nothing to see here
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 11:04:44 »

Also looking for a cheap car myself. My lease went back in May and to be honest we haven't missed it and have coped ok with just one car (well, van actually) although I have had used of my bikes.

I'll probably need something to get me through winter, although it looks like I'm going to be working from home for the foreseeable so won't be doing loads of mileage.

I've got Civic, Focus and Mazda 3 on my list.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 11:14:51 »

it's probably out the price range anyway, but avoid at all cost the focus with the ecoboost engine.

there's a Facebook group dedicated to the engine replacements after they drop coolant without warning.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/?ref=share

[
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: