Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Smoke Alarms  (Read 5505 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 10:13:35 »

I have 3 smoke alarms in the house, they are fairly modern and are connected to the mains with 9v battery back up. They send out a chirp when the battery needs replacing.  So at 6am this morning the upstairs one went off on fill alarm for about 2 seconds, so I replaced the battery in it. I have just pressed the test button of the one I  the dining room and it helped but the one in the hallway went off for around 2 seconds. So, I went to the hallway one and pressed test, nothing happened. I pressed test on the one upstairs, again nothing. The one in the dining room has a green light but the other two have a green and red light, even the one that I replaced with a new battery. Am I supposed to do  a reset or something? I thought it should just be a battery swap, job done.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:00:13 »

How old are they? Have you checked the expiry date as they are usually designed to stop working after 10 years
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:02:26 »

got a make and model to Google?
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:18:00 »

Good until 2027, only 3 years old. No make or model number  Roll Eyes Might be "ei".
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:30:49 »

press the button for > 10 seconds?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:33:54 »

Yea, hold the button down for 10 seconds or so and it will set the whole system. Failing that smack it with a shovel.

Bain of my life these things were a couple of years back in my old job.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:35:33 »

also, in the instructions I read it said replace the battery with the mains off (is it on a breaker that you can flick?)

also, are they interconnected?
tans

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:36:30 »

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/help-to-resolve-beeping-ei-aico-alarms/
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 12:06:36 »

Thanks all. I think they are interconnected. Ok, I have replaced the battery in one without switching the trip switch off  Roll Eyes. What do I do now? As you said tans, do I press the button  on just one for ten seconds or each one?
They do a great job but they are very confusing.

I had a house alarm go off once during a power cut because the back up battery was dead. One neighbour came around after half an hour of the alarm going off to ask " can't you switch that off? " Of course, I just left it ringing to annoy you  Doh
tans

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 12:09:11 »

I’d do it on each one to be honest, just to make sure that they all set the others off etc
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 12:12:19 »

^^ sound the working one, then within 2 mins hold the button in on the non working one for 10 seconds.

no idea if it will work, worth a try
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 20:19:12 »

so, did you fix it?
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 20:29:39 »

I have 3 smoke alarms in the house, they are fairly modern and are connected to the mains with 9v battery back up. They send out a chirp when the battery needs replacing.  So at 6am this morning the upstairs one went off on fill alarm for about 2 seconds, so I replaced the battery in it. I have just pressed the test button of the one I  the dining room and it helped but the one in the hallway went off for around 2 seconds. So, I went to the hallway one and pressed test, nothing happened. I pressed test on the one upstairs, again nothing. The one in the dining room has a green light but the other two have a green and red light, even the one that I replaced with a new battery. Am I supposed to do  a reset or something? I thought it should just be a battery swap, job done.

Don't quite get what's happened there but you didn't need to change the battery. A low battery wouldn't have set the alarm off and it won't really run out unless your power is off for a significant amount of time.

Mine started going off randomly a while back, including in the middle of the night cue me running bollock naked and panicked to the landing. I had to work out which unit was malfunctioning by process of elimination and replace it.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 21:42:03 »

so, did you fix it?

Well, it's been quiet all day  Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 22:37:09 »

Isn't there also a common issue with humidity and alarms too. I know in an place I used to live, if it got to humid the alarms would set off. No danger in my current place, I have a cellar below and the temp in my place never gets above bloody 19 (even with heating on). Mind you, the building is about 400 years old.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: