Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2020/21 Season Dates Confirmed  (Read 4196 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:30:26 »

I think I can remember us having a league cup game in the 90s (possibly against Bolton) that went to about 3 or 4 replays before we progressed??
1989 mate. Littlewoods Cup - Third Round Third Replay.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:31:56 »

1989 mate. Littlewoods Cup - Third Round Third Replay.

I was going to say early 90s, so I wouldn't have been miles away!! Thanks for the clarification PV Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:34:46 »

A shame they can't sort the transfer window out to match it.

5th October but open until the 16th October for EFL transfers.

We know how much business has to wait for the premier league to get business done before the trickle down system starts working. Likely to be playing for 6 weeks before last bits of business are done.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:40:08 »

Big opportunities for our fringe. I'm sure we'll have the essentials in place before then.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:41:52 »

Big opportunities for our fringe. I'm sure we'll have the essentials in place before then.

lockdown was a big opportunity for a lot of fringes.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:42:05 »

I know replays generate money but I hope that'll be the end of them beyond this coming season. Such a dated idea, in my opinion.

Why is it dated ?

It is a chance for a minnow for e.g. to play at one of the big clubs grounds, or for the smaller club to take a big boy back to their place and have a chance with being at home, and it is also generates more money for some clubs that need it as it is an extra game with extra income.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:56:22 »

Why is it dated ?

It is a chance for a minnow for e.g. to play at one of the big clubs grounds, or for the smaller club to take a big boy back to their place and have a chance with being at home, and it is also generates more money for some clubs that need it as it is an extra game with extra income.

As with most of the issues in football these days, there is just simply too much football, and too many games these days.

I absolutely agree with you that if we were to draw say Man U at home, and we manage to hold them to a draw we deserve the opportunity to play them at Old Trafford for both the prestige and the financial reward.

Given that replays are to be scapped, what do people think about changing the gate receipts and prize money dependent on the league that a club is playing in. Something like.

If opponents are in the same league - straight 50:50 split
If opponents are Premier v League 2 - Split 10:90 (in favour of League 2 side)
If opponents are Premier v League 1 - Split 20:80 (in favour of League 1 side)
If opponents are Premier v Champ - Split 40:60 (in favour of Championship side)

And similar splits for higher leagues v lower leagues etc.

I'm sure people will say that Premier league sides already don't take cup sides seriously, so making their carrot smaller isn't going to make that much difference anyway.

digby

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:56:22 »

Why is it dated ?

Totally in favour of replays - it adds to the magic of the cup !  Yes

Maybe drop it this year, but has to be part of a 'normal' Cup set-up
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 11:56:47 »

Why is it dated ?

I get that. I just think there's too much football and the notion of the replay is expendable.

You can still generate era defining money in a one off.

It's just an opinion which I'm happy to concede could be in a minority.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 12:08:57 »

I get that. I just think there's too much football and the notion of the replay is expendable.

You can still generate era defining money in a one off.

It's just an opinion which I'm happy to concede could be in a minority.
Premier League clubs don't like them which usually mean they are of net benefit to lower league clubs, for that reason alone they should be kept.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 12:41:30 »

lockdown was a big opportunity for a lot of fringes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: