Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Twine  (Read 67795 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 16:36:34 »

If you get goals, even in largely pointless friendlies, you should get an opportunity in the first team.

Nothing to see here
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 17:02:14 »

Friendlies are difficult to gage because the line ups and quality vary so much.

However, you can only score against the teams you are playing. As Twine has continually found the back of the net he should certainly be in contention. I means what’s the worst that could happen? He’s not up it to?!
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 17:13:55 »

Cheers.

Haha, my go to is that beanie or a cap! Mind you, I'm not tight but I often refuse to put the heating on in bloody August! Pitfalls of living in a 16th century building and no GCH, especially on days like today!

Taking inspiration from recent posts on here, I’ve written you a poem.  Please don’t be too embarrassed as I’ve never done this before.  Here goes

Bam Boo Bam Boo
Bam Boo Bam Boo
Bam Boo Bam Boo
Bammy Bammy Bam Boo

That’s it.
It may need a bit of work, I feel.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 17:33:59 »

Friendlies are difficult to gage because the line ups and quality vary so much.

However, you can only score against the teams you are playing. As Twine has continually found the back of the net he should certainly be in contention. I means what’s the worst that could happen? He’s not up it to?!

Agreed.  The interesting point is that 2 players who are largely written off by a number of supporters have scored a few goals.  i have no views on Twine or Hope (i have only seen the latter play twice) but i think that they should be given a 'fair crack of the whip'.

Nothing to see here
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 17:57:59 »

Agreed.  The interesting point is that 2 players who are largely written off by a number of supporters have scored a few goals.  i have no views on Twine or Hope (i have only seen the latter play twice) but i think that they should be given a 'fair crack of the whip'.
To be fair both have been playing in the second string team. DJ, Smith and Payne are clearly first choice of the players we have at present. In Hope’s case he has been injured in preseason and he achieved more in the month or 2 he was here than Twine has in 5 years so would put him and J Smith ahead in the pecking order. I just don’t see where Twine is going to get the minutes to either show he is good enough or develop.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 18:11:53 »

The quality of the opposition you are scoring against might be more relevant than whether you are doing it for the firsts or the seconds. 

Nothing to see here
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 18:20:01 »

The quality of the opposition you are scoring against might be more relevant than whether you are doing it for the firsts or the seconds. 

Which means he’s basically been scoring against under 23 and non league teams. I just think he needs a loan at a decent level, he’s down the pecking order and being in and out of match day squads isn’t going show whether he can cut it or help him develop IMO.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 18:31:49 »

I don't fundamentally disagree with that at all.  That said, a minor observation might be that I don't recall others banging in multiple goals in same the matches and against the same opposition (I don't have the results/scorers to hand and my be wrong on that). 

I am sure that the management team have got this covered and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 18:33:08 »

Which means he’s basically been scoring against under 23 and non league teams. I just think he needs a loan at a decent level, he’s down the pecking order and being in and out of match day squads isn’t going show whether he can cut it or help him develop IMO.

Let's go back to the 80's abolish the under 23's stick with a youth team, reinstate the football combination league where you get reserve games almost every week against good opposition then whoever is in or out of form can swap accordingly  

So, give no fucks
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 18:50:58 »

Let's go back to the 80's abolish the under 23's stick with a youth team, reinstate the football combination league where you get reserve games almost every week against good opposition then whoever is in or out of form can swap accordingly  
It would also mean that fans have a chance to watch and assess the players on the fringes of the first team.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 18:53:20 »

It would also mean that fans have a chance to watch and assess the players on the fringes of the first team.

I went to many games in the late 70's against the likes of Arsenal,Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham etc who always had named players either out of form or coming back from injury

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 19:25:27 »

I don't fundamentally disagree with that at all.  That said, a minor observation might be that I don't recall others banging in multiple goals in same the matches and against the same opposition (I don't have the results/scorers to hand and my be wrong on that). 

I am sure that the management team have got this covered and it will be interesting to see what happens.
Dossevi looked a world beater in friendlies, transpired he didn’t even know the offside rule. I ignore scorers and largely results in friendlies as the seasoned pro’s pace themselves and don’t go full pelt so aren’t really indicative.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 20:06:45 »

All good points. Not sure everyone on this forum takes the same view on friendlies.  I seem to recall there was a great deal of euphoria after the match up between champions of leagues one and two.

Should Twine start - no.  Should he get a chance as a sub - probably yes.  However, Hope should be in the frame for a starting spot whilst he is still with the club.

Nothing to see here
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 20:37:55 »

Dossevi looked a world beater in friendlies, transpired he didn’t even know the offside rule. I ignore scorers and largely results in friendlies as the seasoned pro’s pace themselves and don’t go full pelt so aren’t really indicative.

Imagine the uproar if we didn’t sign him after his scoring exploits in pre season though.

Surely in that situation you take the gamble.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 20:44:05 »

Imagine the uproar if we didn’t sign him after his scoring exploits in pre season though.

Surely in that situation you take the gamble.
But the first XI was clearly the team that played City, so who do you drop from that as they all did well according to Wellens. Sounds like J Smith is the one knocking on the door from what Wellens said on TTOT. Twine isn’t a new player, he’s a known quantity and in the 5 years since his debut Twine has done the square root of fuck all, he needs to go somewhere on loan and get a run of games to see if he can cut it and I can’t see him getting that here.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: