Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We may as well have a Blackpool thread  (Read 18403 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 12:11:32 »

‘Drawers’. Only a bit more advanced than bloomers!

There is something slightly intoxicating about a piss scented minge
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 13:09:04 »

I went on a stag do in the late 90s, can't remember much about it. Coming out of a strip club, half cut at 4 in the afternoon was a bit surreal. Can remember being in a chippy at 3am, local in front ordered fish, chips, mushy peas, curry sauce and gravy. Then asked for it to be wrapped  Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 13:10:34 »

I went on a stag do in the late 90s, can't remember much about it. Coming out of a strip club, half cut at 4 in the afternoon was a bit surreal.
Didn't they make you finish your shift on stage that day? Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 13:33:53 »

you don't need to go any streets back from the "Golden Mile" to find a run down town in Blackpool.  It makes Bridge St look positively sparkling in comparison.  That said, you feel very little guilt should you later throw up on said mile.

It has a storm sewer outlet, big one, on the beach that gets uncovered during low tide.

I did meet my wife there though, classy.  Had some good times in that place, which have all involved being very drunk.  I struggle to see how families make the trip, but they do - I'm told a couple of the facilities are quite good.

I still like the team a bit, playing in Orange does it I think.  One of the few teams I've watched live without Swindon being involved.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 15:26:09 »

When I was living in Edinburgh we went for a weekend in Blackpool which included taking in the 2-2 draw (I think) at a rain soaked bloomfield road - I think Igoe may have got Wellens sent off which left the locals irate.

Anyway, we stayed at probably the cheapest B&B I've ever stayed at, I think it was £13 per night. The shower was somewhat 'interesting' in that you had to put a 10 pence piece into a machine to get the water to run. Weirdly the machine was located outside the bathroom door and my mate only realised that the 10 pence only lasted a few minutes. Of course he had a head full of shampoo and had to scramble out into the hall to put the 10p into the machine to get the water to finish the shower.

We did think the owners, Dave and Eddie were possibly perverts but they seemed pleasant enough if very camp.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 15:51:14 »

I like Blackpool a lot. Its seaside resort heritage is fantastic and hugely significant. We had some great research trips and conferences there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Englands-Seaside-Resorts-Allan-Brodie/dp/1905624654

Funny Girls is worth a visit too.
Valid Pint

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 17:30:40 »

Did anyone go on the free transport to the Football League HQ when it was in Lytham St Anne's in 1990 to protest about the demotion?

Apparently those posh towns are where the Donkey Lashers to do their robbin'.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 22:29:42 »

I think a lot of families stay at nearby Marton Mere (it a nice site for a traditional UK getaway) and then just head into Blackpool for a few hours. The usual stuff - stroll along the beach, go up the tower (which when I last went, they had a glass floor installed), get fish n chips, buy a stick of rock, go to Ripley's BION, and possibly Pleasure Beach as well.

To purposely stay within the town proper though would be like staying in most coastal towns. It mirrors what PV said, in that most small to medium towns across the UK have their bad and good parts. Most bad parts are generally closest to the centre of a town.

I would also say, that the opposite does mirror across the country too. Go a little bit outside of a town and it tends to get nicer and the bonus of usually a bit more countryside (or at least more accessible). It's kind of why a lot of people who work in Manc love living near one of the towns to the east. Plenty of commutable options and the Peak District/Lower Pennines are on the doorstep. I'm sure we can replicate that with most places around the country.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Walthams

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:52:53 »

I have only gone to Blackpool once in my life on a day trip. I really enjoyed it, great fish and chips as well. Typical old English holiday resort.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 11:42:33 »

I had my one and only trip to Blackpool the weekend of my 13th birthday, a mini-holiday with my old man. He bought me new shoes, I got ill and spewed all over them. Probably the highlight of the weekend.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:05:14 »

Another Blackpool one-time-only.

Circa '92: Day trip from Catterick. It rained.

Mum bought me a velcro ball catching game, which were all the rage back then. I lost it in an arcade shortly afterwards.

We parked near Bloomfield Road (we left during a game). It was not busy.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:11:29 »

Blackpool have just loaned Ryan Hardie to Plymouth for the season. Northern club loaning a striker to a southern club in the same division. What could go wrong?
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:17:19 »

I'm also a one-timer. Went there for what turned out to be a 3-2 defeat in September 1970.  A topsy-turvy game with Don Rogers scoring two penalties but Blackpool (with Jimmy Armfield and Gordon Milne in their side) 'stole' a winner late on. We went to a 'typical' Blackpool pub on the front afterwards, which was a 'jolly' place full of loud, sweary, pissed-up northern types. The men weren't much better.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:24:42 »

Twice here.

Once to see the illuminations in ‘94

Once to watch a 0-0 draw where Rory Fallon took a free kick, right hand corner of the box, left footed. Hit the roof of the stand, the left side stand. Amazingly awful.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=20060104
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:28:55 by DV Canio » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:28:25 »

Went for the McMahon promotion clinching draw.

Went again with my young son. Some fucker broke into my car in the hotel car park.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: