Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, what do we hope or expect for STFC in 2020/21  (Read 18254 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 22:45:00 »

Lots of posts regarding transfer speculation and signings for other league 1 clubs. What do we hope or expect to happen to town in the coming season?
I know it's hard to predict where we'll come next season,  especially considering we don't know who 75% of our team will be. We know Blackpool and Poxminisculefootballclubford will be top 6, so where does that leave us? Would you be happy just to stay up, a mid table mediocre season or something better?
I know we all hope for the best, but what would you be satisfied with?
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 22:54:23 »

Not getting relegated would be good.

That might sound Req-esque, but we're going into an unprecedented situation. It might even work in our favour and we end up getting promoted.

Fuck knows. Even in a normal season I'd hold back from speculation until Decemberish.

How long is a piece of string?

I do have confidence in Wellens, though.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 23:17:16 »

Yep. The Wellens factor definitely helps. I'll genuinely be happy with consistency and staying in league one. Coming back down to league 2 doesn't bear thinking about. Battering the Pox is a must too  Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 23:56:34 »

Personally I'd be happy for Town to stay in L1 but as FH alluded to, in a strange twist this could all work in our favour and the misfortune of others could aid us in being much higher up the table next May. I'm all for us doing things on genuine merit but you can only work with the environment thrown at you and this is a fairly unique one.

Similarly though, it is all too up in the air, especially in this weird time. Having a team that can fulfill fixtures (as mentioned in the other thread) would be the biggest indicator and satisfying for most this coming season, I'd imagine. Wellens certainly is the main driver in all this at the moment and if we are a club that is stable enough (no deductions etc) by the time the season starts, I'm sure that he will have a squad that can compete again.

A big 6/7 weeks ahead, not least for Town but for the sport as a whole; especially for most of the lower two professional divisions. Those who adapt to change will likely be the ones who succeed. We can hope that Town are one of them.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 05:43:28 »

Staying in business and achieving a mid table finish would be great.

Nothing to see here
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 05:44:28 »

I expect a relegation scrap. Maybe not right in the mix sorta thing - probably always a few points ahead of it but always looking back over our shoulder + two defeats against Oxford.

I know it’s still early but this team (currently) has no goals in it...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 05:50:30 »

Probably best not to base my view on L1 by watching the POs, where 4 mediocre teams were on view, but I honestly can’t see why some are describing next season’s L1 line up as one of the strongest for years.

The 3 Championship relegated clubs - as it stands - are all basket cases and I can’t see any of them challenging.

There is huge pressure on clubs to get their recruitment right in this window as everyone will be up to the cap limit come the January window.

The ‘big’ clubs don’t seem to have the clout of previous ‘big’ clubs in L1 - Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich.

As for us, it boils down to trusting, again, Wellens’ recruitment which was so impressive last year. If players are all being offered the same wage then I reckon Wellens ‘selling’ of STFC will see players choosing SN1 in preference to others.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 07:33:31 »

16th place finish.

And a goal disallowed at the Kassam
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 08:08:45 »

Staying in business and achieving a mid table finish would be great.
This.  It's taken the Pandemic to bring about the return of this as the number one objective for the season.  Regardless of the methods, Power has kept such fears well in the background during his tenure.

As for where we might finish, this has become more difficult than ever to predict over recent times where a squad seemingly has to be completely re-engineered every season.  We always seem to be amongst those awaiting the scraps.  Marquee, "socks off" signings are never for us.  But do we really have so much to fear?  Our trump card (assuming he doesn't do a Flitcroft) may well be Wellens.  Given a degree of fortune, I see no reason why he is not capable of having us flirt with (or even make) the play offs rather than relegation.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 08:24:36 »

Pre-Covid, my hope and expectation were both for a top 8 finish.

This was based on the squad staying together and signing Yates on a perm and re-signing Doyle and Grant. Obviously, two of those three things are not going to happen and the other is yet to happen, although Wellens has assured us that Grant will definitely re-sign.

In the post-Covid who-knows-what-the-fuck-is-going on world, I can see Wellens/Power/Jewel making signings equally as good if not better than this time last year. So much is up in the air at the moment though.

So my hope is still for top 8, my expectation is something which will take shape over the next few weeks - it's going to be interesting to say the least.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 08:41:34 »

This thread shows how much the failure to keep hold of Anderson, Doyle and Yates (and potentially others) has rattled people. There were rumblings of pushing in League 1 when we were banging in the goals. I suspect a few good signings and the optimism (with the right amount of Covid related pragmatism) may return.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 08:59:28 »

Lots of posts regarding transfer speculation and signings for other league 1 clubs. What do we hope or expect to happen to town in the coming season?
I know it's hard to predict where we'll come next season,  especially considering we don't know who 75% of our team will be. We know Blackpool and Poxminisculefootballclubford will be top 6, so where does that leave us? Would you be happy just to stay up, a mid table mediocre season or something better?
I know we all hope for the best, but what would you be satisfied with?

How do you know Pox & Blackpool will be top six?

So, give no fucks
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 09:02:26 »

How do you know Pox & Blackpool will be top six?
Taking the piss out the each club's fans rather over-inflated expectations I suspect...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 09:06:51 »

[The clubs financial survival is the priority and it's not hyperbolic to say that]

If Town somehow maintain an okay player budget then I'm confidant that Town can be a nuisance in L1.

I trust Wellens and Jewell. The transfers of 2019-20 that didn't go to plan (Tyler Reid and Adam May) didn't impact us in a detrimental way and it was impressive how RW/STFC acted swiftly to rectify those areas but I'm not sure we'll have the luxury of bringing in players at short notice to cover injured or out-of-form players in 2020-21.

The yearly transfer merry-go-round needs to stop in the long term for Town to build anything but I'm giving the football industry a pass for a year or two on this (aren't I nice) so if Town enjoy a good loan market then that will go a long way.

Lots of people have highlighted how strong L1 is but I think that's just in comparison to L2 in terms of 'known' football clubs. I think there is plenty of scope for Swindon to be competitive.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 09:13:36 »

Think I largely agree with Rich. If we're still solvent and in L1 at the end of the season, that'll do me. Not saying we can't do any better than that, but it's going to be a very unpredictable season all round I suspect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: